VOGONS

First post, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried this old adventure game some time ago with a lot of trial and error.

To cut a long story short :
- No Wrapper (Windows 7, Windows 10) : crashes
- ddrawCompat : crashes
- dgVoodoo2 : crashes
- PCemv 15 (Windows 95) : crashes
- Forced software DirectDraw mode with App. Compat. Toolkit : crashes
- PCemv15 (Windows 95) but with a slower graphics update method than "Fast VLB/PCI" : crashes
- PCemv14 (Windows 95) : crashes
- PCemv14 (Windows 95) but with a slower graphics update method than "Fast VLB/PCI" : works

A retro PC with an Intel Pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, and a AGP2X GeForce 4 Ti4800 SE card : works (both with Windows 98SE and Windows XP).
A retro PC with an Intel Pentium @ 120 MHz and a S3 Trio 64V2 card : works

According to API Monitor, the game crashes because it tries to lock a DirectDraw surface which was already freed.

The crashes occurs when launching a new game or when you click on "Options".

I think this game needs a patch, or an option in dgVoodoo2 to slow DirectDraw surface releases somehow ?
(I think the first option would be the cleaner one).

Feel free to ask for more info.
I will include a dgVoodoo2 debug report soon (IIRC, it didn't say much, however)

Reply 2 of 3, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh. I don't get it. Are there different patchlevels among the different releases for the game ?

I'm using the French release.

Here are my test platforms so far :
ASUS N56VV (Intel HD4000, Windows 10, Intel Core i5) from 2012
ASUS ROG from 2012 (Nvidia GeForce 750M, Intel Core i7, Windows 10)
IBM Thinpad T43 Laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon X300, Intel Pentium M CPU, Windows 7 x86) from 2004/2005.

Reply 3 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure. That would be one of my theories. I just got a random copy off the internet. Could also be differences in Windows versions or conflicting background software.

Not terrible helpful, I know. Just saying you can get it working on modern computers and it does sort of work with dgVoodoo.