VOGONS

First post, by AMDFreak2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello together,

dgVoodoo2 is an extremly nice program which helped me bringing several games of my childhood back to life, running them on a modern pc, without the need to use an older retro-PC.
A big thanks to the developers on this point!

Sadly, some games, especially games from the company "Davilex" seem to have problems with dgVoodoo2.
Some of them run fine without it (but then I can't use dgVoodoo2 to upscale them), some of them aren't running with or without dgVoodoo2.

In the latter case its of course not a problem with dgVoodoo2, but it seems so that it is with the first case (running fine without dgVoodoo2, but not with it).

I wanted to play the game "Urlaubsraser" from Davilex.
When used with dgVoodoo2 it returns one of the following error messages when trying to start a race:

The following error message happens when the game is run normally with dgVoodoo2 (no compatibility options set in Windows):
adbf59-1562178650.png

The following error message happens when the game is run with Windows 98/XP compatibility mode and dgVoodoo2
7bd125-1562178673.png

I tested it with dgVoodoo v2.55.4.1 (with and without debug version) and with dgVoodoo WIP61 too.
DebugView++ hasn't shown any errors from dgVoodoo2 which correlate with the error messages of the screenshots.

I would be very happy if some member of this forum or even the developers of dgVoodoo2 could take a look into this problem.
If any special log files or so are needed, please ask, I'll help as good as I can.

Best Regards

Reply 1 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works fine here:

spel 2019-07-03 20-51-20-77.jpg
Filename
spel 2019-07-03 20-51-20-77.jpg
File size
575.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Which I know isn't very helpful. FMVs didn't work, but that wasn't your problem.

Reply 2 of 4, by AMDFreak2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ZellSF, thanks for your quick response. Please check the following: I also had success sometimes like you, but only with the first race. If you cancel this race by pressing escape (going back to menu) and press start again, you will probably encounter the same errors as me.
Strangely this errors don't happen if dgVoodoo2 is not used. Then I can start as many races as I want. With it, its pure luck if even the first race starts, but the second (same race track), will definitely lead to the posted errors.

Btw. The FMVs also work when not used with dgVoodoo2. Therefore also possible that both errors correlate.

Reply 4 of 4, by AMDFreak2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the reason. Its my multi-monitor setup. Switching all but one of in the NVIDIA Control Panel (works 100% or alternatively telling dgVoodoo2 to use a specific monitor (works in 95% of the cases) solves the error messages.

Urlaubsraser is therefore working.

I also tried to get Autobahnraser 1 as well as Autobahnraser 3 to work.

Autobahnraser 1 only works with Standard Settings in dgVoodoo2. Changing the resolution leads to black artefacts in the menu or extremly low performance. Also setting the video card memory in dgVoodoo2 over 64 MB in this game mostly crashes the game a few seconds after starting.
Autobahnraser 3 is sadly not working at all. Menu is loading correctly, but when trying to start a race, it loads around 10 seconds and then one is back in the menu without any error messages.

Do you have any ideas to the problems encountered in Autobahnraser 1 and 3?