VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.6.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 276, by petran79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo

I was testing some arcade dumps running on Windows hardware (Taito X, Nesica etc)
I have the game Deathsmiles 2 that seems to run on a custom arcade board

From MAME: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.60GHz, 1024KB L2 Cache 2048MB (2GB) 800MHz DDR and a custom JVS I/O board providing security etc. 'CV2000XP Rev 2.0'. The game is contained on a Transcend 2GB 300x UDMA CompactFlash Card plugged into an adapter board with 'Windows(r) Embedded Standard'. There don't appear to be any dedicated video / sound boards so it presumably uses the onboard capabilities of the board 'Integrated ATI Radeon(tm) HD 3200 GPU' 'Realtek(r) ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC'.

There are various apps and loaders to play those games like Game Loader RH etc that use their own wrappers. Thing is, game has some gfx issues on Nvidia cards and runs better on ATI. Copied the Dgvoodo dlls to game directory and set game config file in dgvoodo, picking an ATI card. Problem is that whatever option I pick, game shows a black screen with the dgvoodo watermark. Controls, music and sfx work fine, it is just the graphics that have this issue. I remember running the game on Linux via Wine and it seems to run based on the ATI gpu api, without those issues, though it was not possible to set controls.

Is it possible to use dgvoodo on those arcadepc windows systems?

Reply 121 of 276, by syhlif32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really like the wrapper. Using it mainly in the older Gmotor games like Gtr2, GTL, Race 07 and AMS.
Giving a much sharper clear display and a better 3D feeling.
Unfortunately it also cost a lot of fps as I need to add minimum X4 MSAA.
It is like the AA in game and /or in Nvidia inspector are not used while the AF are fine.
Still very happy to use it as it is a huge improvement.
So thanks for your hard work Dege!

Reply 123 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
legion_pheonix wrote:

Pls add game support "Chameleon" (LS3D Engine, dx9).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon ... ideo_game)

I tried it and it worked. It's a dx8 game, so I copied d3d8.dll to the game folder, I ran it in XP compatibility mode and it worked out of the box.

syhlif32 wrote:

So thanks for your hard work Dege!

Thanks!

Reply 124 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
petran79 wrote:
Hallo […]
Show full quote

Hallo

I was testing some arcade dumps running on Windows hardware (Taito X, Nesica etc)
I have the game Deathsmiles 2 that seems to run on a custom arcade board

From MAME: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.60GHz, 1024KB L2 Cache 2048MB (2GB) 800MHz DDR and a custom JVS I/O board providing security etc. 'CV2000XP Rev 2.0'. The game is contained on a Transcend 2GB 300x UDMA CompactFlash Card plugged into an adapter board with 'Windows(r) Embedded Standard'. There don't appear to be any dedicated video / sound boards so it presumably uses the onboard capabilities of the board 'Integrated ATI Radeon(tm) HD 3200 GPU' 'Realtek(r) ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC'.

There are various apps and loaders to play those games like Game Loader RH etc that use their own wrappers. Thing is, game has some gfx issues on Nvidia cards and runs better on ATI. Copied the Dgvoodo dlls to game directory and set game config file in dgvoodo, picking an ATI card. Problem is that whatever option I pick, game shows a black screen with the dgvoodo watermark. Controls, music and sfx work fine, it is just the graphics that have this issue. I remember running the game on Linux via Wine and it seems to run based on the ATI gpu api, without those issues, though it was not possible to set controls.

Is it possible to use dgvoodo on those arcadepc windows systems?

Huhh… This seems to be a complicated case for me.
Could you plz give a more detailed description about it, including a step-by-step tutorial for testing? (I'm not perfect in MAME and other emulators at all.)
If yes, then plz open a new topic for it.

Reply 125 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't have much spare time, but a new WIP is available:

=========================
WIP69:
=========================

Changes compared to v2.62.3:

- New type of filters for resampling the output image are added
(bicubic, lanczos-2, lanczos-3)
- Mipmapping when downscaling the output image
- Default DirectX refresh rate is changed from 60Hz to coming from GeneralExt\DesktopResolution
- DirectX-Glide cooperation bug, fixed (Hind)
- Changing Glide texture filtering options
- Minor bug in D3D9 sw lighting calcs, fixed
- Cosmetic changes of some CPL tooltips

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP69.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP69_dbg.zip

Reply 126 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're adding a major feature when you don't have much spare time I can't wait to see what you'll work on when you do.

Dege wrote:

- Default DirectX refresh rate is changed from 60Hz to coming from GeneralExt\DesktopResolution

If refresh rate enumeration is off in dgVoodooCpl, then selecting any DesktopResolution but the default one now also forces refresh rate to 24hz (lowest supported on my monitor). It's a non-issue for me, but maybe not ideal?

Dege wrote:

- Mipmapping when downscaling the output image

I tested this in Dark Reign 2 and it looked great in some resolutions. Some had some weird scaling though, do you want examples, or is this implementation something you're sure is correct?

Reply 127 of 276, by Dreadmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When using any of the "keep Aspect Ratio" or "4:3 Aspect Ratio" scaling modes in WIP69, there is a diagonal seam between the bottom-left and top-right corners of the screen.
Affects all games I've tried, DirectX and Glide.

wip69.jpg
Filename
wip69.jpg
File size
662.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(top-left half is shifted down and to the right by 1 pixel, bottom-right half is shifted down 1 pixel)

This was not present in v2.62.3:

2.62.3.jpg
Filename
2.62.3.jpg
File size
661.63 KiB
Views
File license

Windows 10 64-bit | Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB | Samsung S23A700D, 1920x1080@120Hz | Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Reply 128 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
Dege wrote:

If refresh rate enumeration is off in dgVoodooCpl, then selecting any DesktopResolution but the default one now also forces refresh rate to 24hz (lowest supported on my monitor). It's a non-issue for me, but maybe not ideal?

Indeed, it's a bug, I've just tested it. If refresh rate enumeration is off then the default refresh rate should be the current desktop refresh rate (or the closest supported one in each display mode). I'll fix it in the next release.

Dreadmoth wrote:

When using any of the "keep Aspect Ratio" or "4:3 Aspect Ratio" scaling modes in WIP69, there is a diagonal seam between the bottom-left and top-right corners of the screen.Affects all games I've tried, DirectX and Glide.

Nice catch, thanks! I can reproduce it. The strange thing is, the glitch shouldn't appear, as it doesn't do with the WARP rasterizer. It seems to be an nVidia-specific problem that I already encountered some years ago when working on ddraw-blitting. Anyway, I workarounded it, will be fixed in the next release.

KainXVIII wrote:

Pixelation in Omikron is still there with WIP69

How to reproduce this one? Giving the game a quick go it worked fine for me. Selecting a special resolution or sg like that is needed?

Zell, I'm going to move your downsampling-post into the scaling topic, let's continue there.

Reply 129 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wanted to play Grandia again, trying to find the best version to play I checked how the original 2000 PC release runs with dgVoodoo:

Grandia2.jpg
Filename
Grandia2.jpg
File size
488.04 KiB
Views
File license

Works great with forced resolution and antialiasing. Texture filtering isn't so good for the UI.

It isn't the best version if you're wondering. There is no best version, all of them are problematic. I would say the HD Remaster is the worst version though.

Reply 134 of 276, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As usual i'm keeping an eye for ways to run games with microscopic text on my screen. and it seems its gets the job done better and better.
there is one peculiar trend that seems to repeat, and that is the original mouse cursor keep flashing as an echo from where it would be native to the screen, which is, up left on the corner.
is this something related to vsynch or maybe the framerate is inconsistent with very small margin causing it to show up?

Reply 135 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batterymandark wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:06:

As usual i'm keeping an eye for ways to run games with microscopic text on my screen. and it seems its gets the job done better and better.
there is one peculiar trend that seems to repeat, and that is the original mouse cursor keep flashing as an echo from where it would be native to the screen, which is, up left on the corner.
is this something related to vsynch or maybe the framerate is inconsistent with very small margin causing it to show up?

Physical cursor is made visible by the OS, when it moves and such, then it's hidden at once by dgVoodoo. Whether it shows up for a moment or not, I think it depends on multiple factors like the cpu/gpu speed, the game itself, and so on.

Reply 136 of 276, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a heads-up that Eurofighter Typhoon (DX7 I believe) fails to start with 2.63. The last version I had before was 2.60, which works fine. Haven't tried anything between these two.

Error message below, unfortunately not exactly helpful in regard to the actual D3D error:

C:\Projects\Rage\3dream.win\hvmats\matmk.c(1270) :
Fatal Error: Failed to create material 'x_efa_1'.

Edit: 2.62 also works, so the issue must have been introduced quite recently.

Reply 137 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the report!
I'm aware of that though, I found a DDraw texture parameter validation regression bug (introduced in 2.62.x when I refactored the code for more verbose Debug Layer feedback) which prevents some stuff from working properly (for example Radeon's Ark, Zanzarah).
Anyway, I already fixed it.

Reply 138 of 276, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a little suggestion : Add FPS Limiter, i find out some games behave more nicely on low fps values.
For example Necrodome if Locked at 30 or less FPS suddenly start to support mouse =O

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 139 of 276, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2020-01-06, 16:15:

I have a little suggestion : Add FPS Limiter, i find out some games behave more nicely on low fps values.
For example Necrodome if Locked at 30 or less FPS suddenly start to support mouse =O

Use Vsync feature, actually is a limiter in dgVoodoo2.
Custom refresh rate/resolution -> limiter to whatever frame rate you want