dgVoodoo 2.6.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

Reply 221 of 276, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2020-05-19, 20:46:
Uhm, sorry. I'm not good at private messages, and I'm visiting the forum relatively rarely these days. I'll check it out along w […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-17, 04:52:

I wanted to report that no version of dgVoodoo runs a DX2 game, The Need for Speed Special Edition. The game just works with the default DDraw.dll. I PMed you but you didnt reply.

Here is the log:

Uhm, sorry. I'm not good at private messages, and I'm visiting the forum relatively rarely these days. I'll check it out along with other games.
Btw, in your log there is an error message saying that initialization of the DDI (the dx11 backend itself) has failed (which is weird), so it seems it's not a problem of the game but dgvoodoo itself. Do other games work for you with dgVoodoo?

The other game that didnt work was NFS High Stakes on DX6. It has some issues in the d3da.dll of the game so it isnt probably an issue of dgVoodoo. Other then these two games, everything else worked.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 224 of 276, by VoidsShadow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege, do you have any interest in finding a way to make dgVoodoo output geometry buffers/depth buffers while MSAA is enabled?
00.webp

Edit: I've been directed to this old post: Re: WIP versions

Reply 225 of 276, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Uhm, sorry. I'm not good at private messages, and I'm visiting the forum relatively rarely these days. I'll check it out along w […]
Show full quote

I wanted to report that no version of dgVoodoo runs a DX2 game, The Need for Speed Special Edition. The game just works with the default DDraw.dll. I PMed you but you didnt reply.

Here is the log:

Uhm, sorry. I'm not good at private messages, and I'm visiting the forum relatively rarely these days. I'll check it out along with other games.
Btw, in your log there is an error message saying that initialization of the DDI (the dx11 backend itself) has failed (which is weird), so it seems it's not a problem of the game but dgvoodoo itself. Do other games work for you with dgVoodoo?

Deffnator wrote on 2020-05-18, 17:01:
Tanktics has rainbow issues with all devices and gdi hook https://i.imgur.com/zQCLfJq.png […]
Show full quote

Tanktics has rainbow issues with all devices and gdi hook
zQCLfJq.png

Also, dege, its possible to create a WinG games hook for Shadow of the Horned Rat.
the game itself recognizes the WinG.dll and WinG32.dll and i tested it by renaming the ddraw.dll but it still calls for the WinG Profiles.

You can't rename ddraw to wing. They are completely different API's. I wonder why WinG games have problems because WinG today is just a wrapper layer on top of standard GDI which still works as expected on Win10.
(If I know it right, WinG was a thing before 'DIB section', the API providing low-level bitmap manipulation appeared in GDI. WinG seems to have the dibsection functionality itself which later got integrated into standard GDI. Win3.1/95 times.)
dgVoodoo can only hook GDI if it's used in conjution with one of the DX dll's.

tanktics is a ddraw game dege, is just that the game has rainbow texture issues, while with DXwnd it works well.

as for warhammer SOTHR its just the jury rigged WinG GDI patch that GoG did that has a wrong aspect ratio.
I kinda wish it was the same used in Heroes, but sadly it isnt it.

Reply 226 of 276, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deffnator wrote on 2020-05-24, 19:27:
tanktics is a ddraw game dege, is just that the game has rainbow texture issues, while with DXwnd it works well. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Here is the log:

Deffnator wrote on 2020-05-18, 17:01:
Tanktics has rainbow issues with all devices and gdi hook https://i.imgur.com/zQCLfJq.png […]
Show full quote

Tanktics has rainbow issues with all devices and gdi hook
zQCLfJq.png

Also, dege, its possible to create a WinG games hook for Shadow of the Horned Rat.
the game itself recognizes the WinG.dll and WinG32.dll and i tested it by renaming the ddraw.dll but it still calls for the WinG Profiles.

You can't rename ddraw to wing. They are completely different API's. I wonder why WinG games have problems because WinG today is just a wrapper layer on top of standard GDI which still works as expected on Win10.
(If I know it right, WinG was a thing before 'DIB section', the API providing low-level bitmap manipulation appeared in GDI. WinG seems to have the dibsection functionality itself which later got integrated into standard GDI. Win3.1/95 times.)

tanktics is a ddraw game dege, is just that the game has rainbow texture issues, while with DXwnd it works well.

as for warhammer SOTHR its just the jury rigged WinG GDI patch that GoG did that has a wrong aspect ratio.

How did you run the game, when I try, the game runs in background.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 227 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2020-05-09, 16:17:
ZellSF wrote on 2020-03-21, 21:12:
Dege: Hydro Thunder, another game included in Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe just crashes with dgVoodoo. Maybe interesting?: [64 […]
Show full quote

Dege: Hydro Thunder, another game included in Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe just crashes with dgVoodoo. Maybe interesting?:
[6400] [dgVoodoo] WARNING: Direct3DSurface9 (04221CD0)::Lock: D3DLOCK_DISCARD flag is specified for a non-discardable (non-dynamic) surface.
[6400] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: Direct3DDevice9 (0453EC98)::GetBackBuffer: Invalid adapter head index (-1)
Note that the standalone PC game "Hydro Thunder" is a different program. Native/WineD3D both do not crash.

Ok, I finally fixed it. Btw, why is this version supposed to be so good? It only runs in windowed mode at 16 fps for me.
The original is wayway better (through dgVoodoo 😁).

Late reply, but I never said it was good. I just tested it because someone wanted help with another game in the same compilation.

I try to only comment on quality of games is if they're so bad that I'm sure absolutely no one wants to play them.

Reply 228 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nezarn wrote on 2020-05-22, 13:09:

hey Dege, is there any way to contact you outside this forum? (like on discord or something?) Would have some questions.

Private messages? I think you cannot send me a private message as a newly registered user but I can to you which you can reply, so the conversation could go on from there.

Reply 229 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VoidsShadow wrote on 2020-05-23, 00:29:
Dege, do you have any interest in finding a way to make dgVoodoo output geometry buffers/depth buffers while MSAA is enabled? ht […]
Show full quote

Dege, do you have any interest in finding a way to make dgVoodoo output geometry buffers/depth buffers while MSAA is enabled?
00.webp

Edit: I've been directed to this old post: Re: WIP versions

I think I could make depth and color buffers available for other mods like ReShade, I just don't know how useful it would be.
What I think of: the depth buffer is not necessarily the same sized as dgVoodoo's output image because of the scaling mode.
In fact, a postprocessor like ReShade cannot take the application color/depth buffer without bypassing dgVoodoo's scaling output.

Reply 230 of 276, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

fun fact about reshade: now it's got some sort of thing to compensate for a consistent size depth buffer being rescaled (i.e. if the DB doesn't keep on changing size). I submitted the changes to the reshade-shaders repo myself for emulation and they got accepted but if they benefit dgv2 as well (i haven't found any games myself to that end) it's good too 😜

Reply 231 of 276, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-25, 11:46:
Deffnator wrote on 2020-05-24, 19:27:
tanktics is a ddraw game dege, is just that the game has rainbow texture issues, while with DXwnd it works well. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

How did you run the game, when I try, the game runs in background.

Tanktics runs easily with compatibility with windows 98

Reply 232 of 276, by Nezarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-05-26, 13:20:

hey Dege, is there any way to contact you outside this forum? (like on discord or something?) Would have some questions.

Private messages? I think you cannot send me a private message as a newly registered user but I can to you which you can reply, so the conversation could go on from there.

okay, then please send one 😁

Reply 233 of 276, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally discovered the issue with Jane's Fighters anthology.

The game hates forced higher resolutions via dgvoodoo2, even with ISF, it causes the black flickering.
ATF and USNF97 has no problems

Reply 234 of 276, by Nezarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-05-26, 13:20:

well, forum doesn't let me reply to your PM so rip. maybe one day I will be able to send PMs 🤣

btw are you still working on the glide wrapper part of dgvoodoo? What should I do to report bugs with glide? Use debug version and upload log?

Reply 235 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nezarn wrote on 2020-05-30, 19:33:

well, forum doesn't let me reply to your PM so rip. maybe one day I will be able to send PMs 🤣

Weird… Plz look at your private messages, I've just sent you another.

Nezarn wrote on 2020-05-30, 19:33:

btw are you still working on the glide wrapper part of dgvoodoo? What should I do to report bugs with glide? Use debug version and upload log?

Glide part of dgVoodoo isn't actively developed for a while (well, years I think…), by now I only do bugfixing if somebody reports sg (DX distracted me a bit, so I didn't even test dgVoodoo with all the Glide stuff I have).
If you have sg to report then plz open a new topic (for a specific game, or a cumulative one with multiple problems).
Logs are always welcome but Glide doesn't dump too much messages because it's way less complicated than DX. Thumb rule is if something doesn't work properly through Glide with default cfg then it's a bug in dgVoodoo.
(Hmmm…, maybe when Glide is used along with DDraw, that's an exception.)

I can't promise to fix it quickly though until I'm in the developing period, unless an issue proves to be a minor bug somewhere.

Reply 236 of 276, by ChaosBahamut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reporting a potential bug with dgvoodoo. On some/most games if I use a dgvoodoo2 DX wrapper (ddraw, d3d8 on some games, d3d9) it breaks the game's support for the GeForce Experience overlay. (the game will automatically alt-tab if I try to open it while in-game) So far the only titles that are an exception are Splinter Cell and Postal 2. (but NOT the Paradise Lost expansion)

On the affected games (tested so far; Safekeeper: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure, Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, and the games already mentioned above) , if I force the game into borderless window via dgvoodoo2 then activate the GeForce Experience overlay the overlay will crash. So that 'workaround' didn't work either.

Using 2.63.2

(and the only reason I say it's a potential bug with dgvoodoo is because it could actually be a bug with the GeForce Experience overlay itself, who knows?)

Reply 237 of 276, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heretic II (1.06 or 1.07) has a black screen if I select 3dfx with dgvoodoo2 Glide2x.dll. At the same time, I hear the sounds of the menu if they start to press the arrow buttons. The only thing, the splash screen does not play with 3dfx.

Reply 238 of 276, by nickel337

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(2020/06/11)
I've add more informations and attached my logs

Hello.
Thank you for making a great software.
I'm using this for fitting the game screen to my monitor with higher resolution than one in the game.
Btw,I've encountered some issues.

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure [DirectX 9]
Almost all textures and the menu are turned white/mono color.Fast video memory access does not fix the problem.Max res. in the game is 1980x1020.

20200611055842_1.jpg
Filename
20200611055842_1.jpg
File size
334.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Gurumin benchmark [DirectX 8.1/9,only in Japanese]
dgVoodoo 2 is not enable at all.
https://www.falcom.co.jp/gurumin/download/download.html

Syberia [DirectX 7]
Some textures which are related to subtitles or letters on the menu do not work properly and turned black/white.Fast video memory access only works for a white-turned backgrounds and menu problem.
FYI:Vanilla has some scaling issues.

20200611055545_1.jpg
Filename
20200611055545_1.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license

Cogs [DirectX 9]
Game screen slides toward right edge of the screen when fullscreen.A cursor also shows righter than an actual hit point.
Full screen/windows appearance setting won't work even I checked off Application controlled fullcreen/window state.Also scaling in Direct X won't work.
(added 2020/06/11)
I don't know why but now the game is running with extremely lower fps around 5 fps.Now a cursor shows same place as an actual hit point though.

20200611055910_1.jpg
Filename
20200611055910_1.jpg
File size
794.84 KiB
Views
File license

(added 2020/06/11)
Hidden Star in Four Seasons [DirectX 9.0c]
Letters on loading screen,top menu and background of the game are turned to white.
It works almost fine on dgVoodooWIP71_dbg with DirectX 12.

20200611055935_1.jpg
Filename
20200611055935_1.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license

(added 2020/06/11)
Still life[DirectX 8]
Black screen with dgVoodoo watermark appears a moment then back to the desktop.

Radeon vega 56(driver 20.5.2)
Windows 10 1909
dgVoodoo 2.63.2
monitor resolution:3840x2160

Attachments

• Filename
    logs.zip
    File size
    204.61 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 239 of 276, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something odd I've noticed with DgVoodoo with the last couple of games I've tested - the games launch full screen, but then after a couple of seconds, they become a borderless window in the middle of the screen, quite small. I then have to press Alt+Enter to get them full screen again.

I'm using this option with the latest version:

WindowedAttributes = Borderless, FullscreenSize