VOGONS

First post, by rickyback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In BG2 (classic, non-Enhanced Edition) in fullscreen mode every once in a while the in-game mouse cursor randomly flickers very quickly for a second or so.

Setting CaptureMouse=false or FreeMouse=true doesn't help. I've tested this on v2.6 and v2.5.

Are you able to reproduce this? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the cursor from flickering?

Reply 1 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any reason you're running Baldur's Gate II under dgVoodoo other than curiosity? You won't get OpenGL effects that way (well, theoretically it's possible with some OpenGL>Glide wrapper, but I doubt you got that setup).

Reply 4 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game is one of the old DDraw ones that draws (its own cursor in this case) directly to the screen which is a pain to emulate with the expected appearance and good performance.

Direct screen drawing can basically be implemented in two ways.
Currently dgVoodoo implements only one of them which make the mouse flicker in this game (or other screen elements in other games).
For curiosity I whipped up the implementation of the other way and the mouse flickering was gone.

I'm about to do some DirectDraw development to address known issues like this but I don't know how to expose them to the user.
As for this one in general, it cannot be detected at runtime what way to go, so should I introduce a new option for that?

Reply 6 of 7, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in favor of this option too !

I think I have quite a few games that might benefit from it. I will have to test it a lot (Dark Earth slowing down on an Intel HD4000 with dgVoodoo comes to mind).