VOGONS

First post, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick question...I'm wondering if it's normal when you use stock MS DDraw, specify the GUID of secondary monitor when creating DirectDraw object and attempt to switch to windowed mode that you just get blackness?

dgVoodoo solves that problem. The issue doesn't exists in D3D9, probably in D3D8 neither, but I haven't tested.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's an interesting topic.
It depends on Windows version.

Up to Windows XP with XPDM driver model under the hood, each monitor was counted as separated 'devices' (say, GPUs), even if they were attached to the same video card (adapter).
If you rendered something on device1 and blitted (copied) the result to the window (that's how windowed ddraw works) residing on the output of device2 then it meant a slow copy because the bitmap had to be copied back to system memory first (slow) to be able to copy it to the display memory of the other device (remember the slow window content moving on Win3.1?).
DDraw had 2 choices here: either do the slow copy or just clip the destination rectangle with the display rect of device1 and neglect device2.
This was an issue even with D3D8/9. As far as I remember they just neglected parts of the window that didn't belong to the presenting device.
Even Media Player, using hw acceleration on DX9, did this. It could switch between devices dynamically though, according to which one contained the largest part of the output window, and leaving black the rest.
(I worked for a company and had to implement full hw acceleration for the windows of a certain application. This was in the XP era, and requirements for the user experience didn't allow to just come up with a lame solution, so the implementation wasn't simple.)

But when Vista was released with the WDDM driver model then it all changed.
Term of traditional device was replaced with adapter and the driver model fully supported sharing videomemory between them. That's what the desktop compositor needed, since that's a DX application itself. Internally DX8/9 was remapped to the new driver interface, so this window-problem disappeared and the new functionality was even available through D3D9Ex.

DDraw might have been untouched and still clips to its own device, so it may be normal. I don't really know.

Reply 2 of 2, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Up to Windows XP with XPDM driver model under the hood, each monitor was counted as separated 'devices' (say, GPUs), even if they were attached to the same video card (adapter).

Someone on MSFN forum said that the latter scenario isn't supported natively on Windows 2000 and earlier and when it works, it works due to graphics driver doing some tricks. I don't remember where exactly it was posted though.

Dege wrote:

DDraw might have been untouched and still clips to its own device, so it may be normal. I don't really know.

Might be, I got the same behavior on WinXP and Win10. If you explicitly choose the non-NULL GUID of primary display, then it's also OK. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some quirk causing windowed mode working OK only if NULL GUID was chosen, but wouldn't work with any other explicitly chosen GUID.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.