VOGONS

First post, by Crimson_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a bit of a mystery on my hands which will hopefully interest you!

I've played around with Lands of Lore 2 (GOG) a fair bit with different configurations:

Default non-accelerated DOS LOL2 works with few bugs that can for the most part be worked around but has the worst graphics.

Windows LOL2 works great with less bugs than the DOS (once set to win95 compatibility), but requires 3 files that GOG seems unwilling (or unable) to provide to the masses and also has slightly worse graphics than the Glide enabled DOS version.

Using a glide enabled DOSBox (Like ECE or the one included with the GOG release) in Gulikoza's glide pass-through mode to an external wrapper (dgVoodoo2 or nglide) creates the best graphics but also has a teleporter bug that pretty much disables gameplay for minutes until the teleportation effect is finished.

Using the internal Kekko voodoo1 emulation in DOSBox ECE skips this teleportation bug, but there's nasty slowdowns and a flickering mouse cursor in exchange.

As I have little knowledge on this subject, I don't know if there's a problem in how Gulikoza's patch passes the information to an external wrapper when creating the teleportation effect or if it's another issue with glide altogether. I have found that setting Gulikoza's patch LFB option to write,write_noaux,or none disables the image while the effect is taking place (The game still hangs regardless though).

If this mystery interests you, I've attached both the Debug Log for dgVoodoo2 ending at the point where the bug kicks in and a saved game just before a teleporter in Lands of Lore 2.

Attachments

• Filename
    TELEPORT.7z
    File size
    76.61 KiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Lol2.log
    File size
    4.14 MiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 2, by Crimson_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-03-12, 11:23:

Thanks for the report!
Unfortunately I cannot make this game work through DosBox for some reason. I get an error message from the Glide patch about invalid LFB addresses.

Thank you for looking into it!
I remember seeing an error with LFB addresses when I was playing around with different DOXbox SVN's and different glide2x.ovl files a few years back. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to recreate that exact error now. May I ask if you are using the GOG or CD version?

Also using DosBOX ECE r4334 (and it's included glide2x.ovl file) with .conf file changes of voodoo=false, glide=true, cputype=486_slow, and blocksize=2048 (If there's sound stuttering in the video's) Should give good playable results using dgVoodoo in glide mode.

Thanks again!