VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 474, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little off-topic, I have a few GDI games that absolutely won't work on modern Windows (all the colors are wrong, and no compat layer hacks fixes it). For those cases, a GDI wrapper would be a) cool b) a very daunting task to develop.

I'm glad when they are compatible with Win32S, but typically they aren't and for those I'm completely stuck.

I wonder if GDI is off-limits or something for a wrapper ?
Because exactly none exists. There's a ton for DDRAW, but nothing for the (mostly) software renderer that is GDI...

A lot also mix DDRAW and GDI (Resident Evil 1/2 for example), and I don't feel like it was really supported by MS to begin with (or am I wrong ?)

Reply 181 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I meant scaling artifacts, like when bloom and depth of field effects are not being rendered correctly. Need to recheck which games from my tests actually had it, but it looked very similar to the problems many emulators have with increasing internal resolution.
Fixing double cursors will help with more recent games too. Shadowrun series has this problem, though it supports 4k by default, but it's far from optimal, some fonts are too small and default zoom level seems to be calculated based on resolution, so at 4k everything is too zoomed out constantly. Upscaling ingame res from about 720p to 4k through dgvoodoo would give a perfect result, there're already no other graphical glitches present.

Reply 182 of 474, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
legion_pheonix wrote on 2020-09-24, 04:35:
robertmo wrote on 2020-09-19, 20:32:

for sharp textures set force point sampled textures filtering in dgvoodoo2 control panel

This is a completely different quality.
What is needed is the sharpness from Nvidia, since it works correctly and shows a beautiful clear view. And your option is just a texture filter that degrades the 3D picture in general, especially the shadows. Certainly anisotropy is needed in this case.

anisotrophy is needed for filtered textures and i am suggesting no filtering at all.

Reply 183 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GDI is a too big API to implement, so it's out of the scope for dgVoodoo...

Yeah, I meant scaling artifacts, like when bloom and depth of field effects are not being rendered correctly.

Could you give and example, which game, plz? I think that should work, or, at least I could investigate it some day.

Reply 184 of 474, by mike_1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,

Thank you for dgVoodoo - it allows me to play games such as Star Wars Pod Racer once more 😀

I'm curious to know why the version number has decreased with the latest release?
2.64 is greater than 2.7 - I thought the new version would be numbered 2.70, 2.72, etc.

Apologies for the weird question, as a software engineer I notice things like this.

Kind Regards,

Mike

PS: Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong area. This my first vogons post!

Reply 185 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you're right, it's an inconsistency in my version numbering. It didn't decrease, 2.7 is 2.70 in its meaning...
I always refer to the series like 2.6.x or 2.7.x so the version numbers should be 2.6.4 and 2.7.0 but I used the 2.xy form for dgVoodoo2 from the beginning (I can't remember why).
I'm considering 2.7.x form for future releses (or should I stick with the current bad scheme not to increase the confusion - I don't know it yet).

Maybe 2.7.x is better for AV craps because it may not get detected as a potential IP address. 😀

Btw, my webpage got recovered for Google S Browsing. I don't know what happened. 😁

Reply 186 of 474, by mike_1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-09-25, 19:12:

Btw, my webpage got recovered for Google S Browsing. I don't know what happened. 😁

Indeed - I didn't get a warning when attempting to visit your website today using Firefox 😀

However when downloading the latest version, Firefox still gave a little grief (easily overcome).

First you press ">"
https://i.imgur.com/cYx5eqS.png

Then you press "Open"
https://i.imgur.com/oDCp9bK.png

Or people can just use Microsoft Edge as you suggest on your website 😉

Attachments

• 1.png
    Filename
    1.png
    File size
    12.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.png
    Filename
    2.png
    File size
    32.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 187 of 474, by mike_1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm considering 2.7.x form for future releases (or should I stick with the current bad scheme not to increase the confusion - I don't know it yet).

I think that is a good idea, although it might make sense for that to start at version 3.x.y ?

Maybe 2.7.x is better for AV craps because it may not get detected as a potential IP address

That would have to be the most poorly written anti-virus software in the world! 😁
An IP v4 address has 3 dots and 4 numbers below 256.

Using dashes/hyphens or underscores can also get around this.

I hope you have a good weekend 😀

Reply 189 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here's a first batch of problematic games I've made notes about, some of them doesn't even need dgvoodoo to work properly at all, but I still try them together to compare antialiasing quality or to see if I'd get smoother performance this way.

Hard to be a god:
not really known game at all, not sure if it'd be worth the effort. It has a really small selection of resolutions ingame, but the config file can be edited manually to set any res up, though anything higher than 1080 will cause ui to disappear. With dgvoodoo ui is present, but bloom shows noticeable offsetting, and double cursor is present too
1080:
1080.jpg

4k through dgvoodoo:
4k.jpg

Rogue Trooper original:
no real problems here cause it could be patched to support 4k natively, but upscaling through dgvoodoo gives wrong bloom offsets too
rt.jpg

Gorky 17:
works pretty much perfectly with isf resolutions enabled and antialiasing turned off, still has some minor glitches with character shadows

Ground Control:
has a noticeable slowdown whenever lensflare effect appears, fast memory access fixes it, but there're still slowdowns in other places, need to test more if it's dgvoodoo related

Ys 1&2 Chronicles+:
crashes whenever character portrait appears on screen, like in the first cutscene. Very strange game in general, looks like it starts in forced borderless by default, changing fullscreen and vsync options doesn't have any effect, has unstable framerates too, dgvoodoo improves it noticeably

Dragonshard:
very erratic frametimes in dx11 mode, even makes my screen flicker, works much smoother in dx12, but crashes when starting any map with antialiasing enabled in dgvoodoo, ingame option doesn't do anything

Sea Dogs:
crashes at startup

Spellforce 1 crashes too, after being hex-edited to search for custom-named d3d9.dll

Reply 190 of 474, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

do you prefer dgVoodoo over nGlide?

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 192 of 474, by dummy13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dege,
Please fix Dgvoodoo 2.6 Directx9 in Ragnarok Online. It's already working, but the texture ingame are not 100% loaded or not rendered correctly. Dgvoodoo 2.55.4 are 100% working in any private server RO even with gepard server, but it's limited to Directx8. I already tried to use ur latest Dgvoodoo 2.7 in my Ragnarok gepard server, but it seems to be blocked by gameguard Gepard 3.0

Last edited by dummy13 on 2020-09-28, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 193 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Btw, I created a GitHub page for (future) dgVoodoo releases:

https://github.com/dege-diosg/dgVoodoo2

The reasons are:
- My own site ruined by Google; it's working right now but who knows how long it lasts (update: NO, it's blacklisted again... 😁)
- If you're a github user then you can submit issues there (or I'll do it myself based on the feedback got here); The benefit of github issues over the forum is issues don't perish into the oblivion, hopefully, and tracked more precisely

Reply 195 of 474, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dummy13 wrote on 2020-09-28, 13:38:

Hello dege,
Please fix Dgvoodoo 2.6 Directx9 in Ragnarok Online. It's already working, but the texture ingame are not 100% loaded or not rendered correctly. Dgvoodoo 2.55.4 are 100% working in any private server RO even with gepard server, but it's limited to Directx8. I already tried to use ur latest Dgvoodoo 2.7 in my Ragnarok gepard server, but it seems to be blocked by gameguard Gepard 3.0

-> dgVoodoo 2.6.x and related WIP versions

Reply 197 of 474, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote on 2020-09-28, 13:40:
Btw, I created a GitHub page for (future) dgVoodoo releases: […]
Show full quote

Btw, I created a GitHub page for (future) dgVoodoo releases:

https://github.com/dege-diosg/dgVoodoo2

The reasons are:
- My own site ruined by Google; it's working right now but who knows how long it lasts (update: NO, it's blacklisted again... 😁)
- If you're a github user then you can submit issues there (or I'll do it myself based on the feedback got here); The benefit of github issues over the forum is issues don't perish into the oblivion, hopefully, and tracked more precisely

Oh have you gone open source?
Oh, you're just using Github as a binary distribution center and ticketing system (so far). Darn.

Well, FYI you could upload previous releases there too if you want. I've done that for MAMEdev (well, most of them). Not sure how easy it is to do with a very short git history tho.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto