VOGONS

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Since the website http://www.racecarsim.com/ is up with addon cars and tracks I really wanted to replay this little gem of the past.
However Sports Car GT (SCGT) has allways been a pain in the lower back to get running ever since I bought it in the late nineties.
Some of it, I think, has to do with the game release I bought (cd label: SPCAR_152UK) which gives errors not finding files when loading certain tracks, which in turn means you can't play a championship as half of the tracks will crash the game. I actually repurchaced a later version which came in a dvd case, hoping this would be solved, but it turned out to be the exact same print. Anyway, this hasn't got anything to do with dgVoodoo.

First I couldn't get the game to run at all. I tried nGlide, which worked for me in the past but I think recent driverupdates from AMD older game compaibility went down the drain (as is v-sync control, which now you can force on but doesn't do anything 😤).
dgVoodoo worked for me in both 3dfx and Direct3d, but both also have issues. 3dfx Seems to be the most compatible and everything is displayed like it should, however this game was released with terrible filtering limitations, so everything further than 30 meters away looks extremely blurry. So I was hoping if there is a way to turn anisotropic filtering on?
Direct3d is very good too but certain elements are not displayed at all, the sky is completely white and cars are missing textures.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Procyon wrote on 2020-09-19, 08:49:

Direct3d is very good too but certain elements are not displayed at all, the sky is completely white and cars are missing textures.

Sounds like the usual AMD driver problem with D3D11. Did you try D3D12?
D3D version of SC GT should work just fine (I tested it with 2.7) and unlike with the Glide version, you can force anisotropic filtering with that.

Reply 2 of 5, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-09-19, 10:32:
Procyon wrote on 2020-09-19, 08:49:

Sounds like the usual AMD driver problem with D3D11. Did you try D3D12?
D3D version of SC GT should work just fine (I tested it with 2.7) and unlike with the Glide version, you can force anisotropic filtering with that.

Hey Dege, 😀

I have a Radeon RX 580 4GB. I don't understand what you mean with trying D3D11 and D3D12.
Do you meant the D3D9.dll in the MS x64 folder? If so, yes I've tried that one too.

Reply 4 of 5, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:43:

No, I meant D3D12 as output API in the dgVoodoo configuration (General tab).
Also, you need DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll from the MS x86 folder because Sports Car GT is a pre-DX8 game (32 bit).

Ah, I see now.
And yes, I just tried Direct3D 12 (feature level 12.0) and everything looks allright.
Thank you Dege! 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm coming back to this thread as I had a lot of issues with it but I've got most of it solved (sort of).
First of all the Step 1 SCGT patch doesn't seem to work for me as good as opposed to the 1.551 patch.
Second, when exiting a session in quickrace (chosen from the first menu when you start the game) the game always seem to crash as well some races don't start at all or with all cars piled up together, the careermode doesn't seem to have these crashes or weird car pileups so just play careermode.

I'm using dgVoodoo 2_75_1 at the time I'm writing this and I play it in Direct3D mode.

My settings are:

General tab
Output API: Direct3d 11 (feature level 11.0)
Scaling mode: Stretched, keep aspect ratio

DirectX tab
Videocard: Geforce4 Ti 4800
VRAM: 256 MB
Filtering: Force anisotropic 16x
Resolution: Max FHD
Anti-aliasing: 8x
Fast video memory access: check
Apply phong shading when possible: check

GeneralExt tab (rightclick orange dgVoodoo banner to access it)
Desktop resolution: 1920x1080

My specs:

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (MS-7918)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (overclocked to 4000 MHz)
RAM: DDR3 16 GB
GPU: AMD RX 580 GDDR5 4GB

For some reason when I choose Direct3D 12 (feature level 11.0 or 12.0) I only get 24 fps, with the above settings I get 60 fps, which of course plays much better.