VOGONS

First post, by Dee-Dee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly:
Version 1.2 of Heavy Gear crashes or gets stuck in an endless loop on modern Windows systems due to an issue with the FreeLibrary call. However there is a flag in Dxwnd to simulates the Win9x behavior which fixes this issue allowing the game to run.

So you need a combination of Dxwnd and DgVoodoo2:
0. First put the DgVoodoo2 files DDraw.dll, D3DImm.dll and Glide2x.dll into the HeavyGear game folder.
1. Add HeavyGear entry into Dxwnd and modify it's settings.
2. In the "Main" tab disable the option "Run in Window".
3. In the "DirectX" tab set DirectX version Hook to "None".
4. In the "Compat." tab enable the "Fix FreeLibray" option.

You may also want to set "FPSLimit = 30" in "dgVoodoo.conf" to fix game speed issues.

Then you can launch the game from the Dxwnd main window and DgVoodoo2 will privide the graphics and Dxwnd fixes the FreeLibrary crash/endless loop issue.

The game has some graphical glitches in 3dfx rendering mode (at least on my system). See attached screenshots. I also ran the game with PCem to get a reference but there the 3dfx graphics look more primitive overall so I am not sure if the comparison is valid.

P.S.
This is not really all that important since the Direct3D and Software rendering modes work fine.

Attachments

• hg-pcem-3dfx.jpg
    Filename
    hg-pcem-3dfx.jpg
    File size
    78.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • hg-dgv2-3dfx.jpg
    Filename
    hg-dgv2-3dfx.jpg
    File size
    78.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 1, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same graphical glitches from QEMU from every other Glide wrappers. I think I checked nGlide and OpenGlide. TCG/KVM/WHPX does not matter. DOSBox SVN with Glide passthrough was OK.

So I don't think this is dgVoodoo2 issue, but if Dege knows how to get it fixed, I will be happy. I guess it has to do with the game itself on modern real CPUs or the CPU emulation used by emulators. Apparently, PCem CPU emulation was OK, too.

Direct3D renderer is fine on QEMU for TCG/KVM/WHPX, but frame rate won't be as great as 3Dfx Glide renderer if it worked.