VOGONS

First post, by V15UAL K3YS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, this is going to be a long read but I hope it explains what I am trying to accomplish.

I am extensively testing various games with dgVoodoo2 and using them alongside Reshade in order to utilize CRT shaders for my older games. One game I would like to do this with is The Sims, a game that is completely software rendered. I would like to use dgVoodoo2 to play this game for two reasons.

1. Now with Windows 10, lots of old DirectDraw games just run poorly and/or have poor compatibility issues. dgVoodoo2 eliminates these issues from various games that I have tested, which include improvements in framerate and less lag or games that run in DirectDraw.

2. I can take advantage of dgVoodoo2's scaling methods to scale the game's internal resolution of 800x600 or 1024x768 and scale it to my desktop resolution of 1920x1440. The reason why this is important is that Reshade will run as if my monitor is actually running in 1920x1440. This will give me a high enough resolution to create a fine enough emulated phosphor mask which will be the primary component of emulating a CRT shader that is ran over my game.

The problem is that dgVoodoo2 will take control of mouse handling (if my research is correct) when the forced resolution and/or scaling method differs from what the game is expecting. This works for many other games, however, in the original Sims game, both dgVooodoo2 and The Sims will attempt to handle the cursor. This causes the cursor to be shown twice on screen, and for the scaling of both cursors to be based on either the game's internal resolution (for the game attempting to handle the cursor, the only cursor the game responds to) or dgVoodoo2's emulated hardware cursor (which is scaling to the 1920x1440 resolution for my desktop, and is not recognized in the game). Highlighting buttons with dgVoodoo2's emulated cursor will not do anything and I can't even capture screenshots in-game to show this phenomenon as dgVoodoo2's cursor is completely ignored by the game.

I know this is a very specific request, but is it possible to add an option or entry in dgvoodoo.conf to force the game to handle the cursor alone, or to disable dgVoodoo2's rendering of the cursor?

Thanks in advance!