VOGONS

Regressive bugs - report them here

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 115, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried "Tokimeki memorial taisen puzzle dama" and "Money idol exchanger", both are most probably directdraw games. No matter what change I try with settings, they both show black and white garbled graphics, or total white screen or white backgrounds with total black sprites, vertical black bands and so on. I dunno about money exchanger, but I remember Tokimeki used to work correctly some years ago.

I now have new pc with windows 10 x64 21h2, ryzen pro 4650g cpu-gpu. I wonder if this might be the reason.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 21 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even if you switch to D3D12 for the output API? I've just give Tokipazu a go with 2.78, but it works. Both on nVidia and AMD HD7580.
The symptoms you described is the well-known D3D11 AMD problem starting with dgv 2.55.

Reply 22 of 115, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OOOOOOk, it was set to "best one", I put it to D3D12 feature level 12 (or 11) and it fixed Tokimeki. Thanx Dege!

Money idol still don't work but it never worked maybe.
MIDol-2022-02-12-03-00-49-680.jpg MIDol-2022-02-12-03-01-01-768.jpg

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 24 of 115, by tomba4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've been using dgVoodoo for demoscene watching, but since v2.76 (2.75.1 is OK) very few demos work correctly (e.g., textures are missing). I finally decided to check the debug logs and I see e.g.

"[dgVoodoo] WARNING: Direct3D8 (01BDAB20)::CheckDeviceFormat: Resource type D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE with format D3DFMT_R8G8B8 and usage (0) is not available on device type D3DDEVTYPE_HAL with adapter format D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8"

The example I used is "Mechanical Dreams" by Suspend (https://files.scene.org/view/parties/20 ... uspend.zip).

Is that warning a possible explanation for the issues? And is that something that could be fixed? (Note: the OS I'm running is 32bit Windows 7 on VMWare)

Reply 25 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then that must be a VMWare problem. You can try to disable option DirectXExt\EnableSpecializedShaders for newer dgv versions, but as far as I remember Mechanical Dreams has its own vertex shaders so that option might not have any effect for that demo.
Btw, why not just running those demos natively? There's no point of using dgVoodoo in a VM (another graphics wrapping layer in the chain) and 99% of scene demos works fine with dgVoodoo on Win10 (I have a large collection of them, including MechD).

Btw, that WARNING message means nothing in practice, it's very common with every D3D8/9 stuffs, it only means the application is queried if a particular format for a given resource type is supported and it turns out to be not supported.
I might remove that in a later version, it was implemented for tracking down various games to see if any of them truly needs an unimplemented format.

Reply 26 of 115, by tomba4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-03-20, 12:15:

Then that must be a VMWare problem. You can try to disable option DirectXExt\EnableSpecializedShaders for newer dgv versions, but as far as I remember Mechanical Dreams has its own vertex shaders so that option might not have any effect for that demo.

That actually fixed it, thanks a lot! I tried all kinds of options, but it never occured to me to change this one...

Btw, why not just running those demos natively? There's no point of using dgVoodoo in a VM (another graphics wrapping layer in the chain) and 99% of scene demos works fine with dgVoodoo on Win10 (I have a large collection of them, including MechD).

I have 3 monitors connected to my system and Win10 goes crazy when a fullscreen app with non-native resolution is started (all open windows are resized and shuffled randomly across monitors). When I run a demo for the first time I don't know if it's DirectX or OpenGL and even if it's DX I don't know if it works with dgVoodoo, so I'm using VMWare as a safety layer and make a note for each demo if it's OK to run natively (either in native res or with dgVoodoo with forced res). Works pretty OK usually...

Reply 27 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then, maybe 2.78.1 works with VMWare and DirectXExt\EnableSpecializedShaders enabled?
Actually the code generator introduced in 2.76 caused very similar symptoms (missing/crazy textures) with old Intel drivers, and I made changes to it not to emit "unusual" (but still valid) instructions.
That fixed the problem, and maybe the same applies to VMWare, see Issues with Intel HD 3000 (Gen6) and Intel HD 4000 (Gen7) iGPUs and dgVoodoo

I'd like to remove option EnableSpecializedShaders from future versions.

(I have 2 monitors and indeed, I too hate when sg changes the desktop resolution... 😁)

Reply 28 of 115, by tomba4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-03-20, 17:37:

Then, maybe 2.78.1 works with VMWare and DirectXExt\EnableSpecializedShaders enabled?

No, unfortunately doesn't work in 2.78.1 either. The result is that a lot graphics/effects are simply missing, e.g. in case of this demo at the beginning there's supposed to be a flashing background:

Windows 10 TP v2-2022-03-20-22-21-21.png
Filename
Windows 10 TP v2-2022-03-20-22-21-21.png
File size
282.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

and instead there's just darkness:

Windows 10 TP v2-2022-03-20-22-21-53.png
Filename
Windows 10 TP v2-2022-03-20-22-21-53.png
File size
47.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 36 of 115, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therealdadbeard wrote on 2022-07-07, 17:10:

NFS4 now crashes with 2.79 on the track loading screen.

Interestingly just before coming here I tested NFS4 and it doesn't crash. I tested the vanilla game with no mods or stock packs.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 38 of 115, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2022-07-09, 06:15:
therealdadbeard wrote on 2022-07-07, 17:10:

NFS4 now crashes with 2.79 on the track loading screen.

I cannot reproduce it. I tried all types of renderer dlls (Glide, D3D7-9) but it still worked.

The default d3da.dll (D3D6) also works. while skipping the privileged instructions.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-07-06, 18:47:

Stars in Thief 2 (8-bit paletted textures?) don't render in 2.79. It worked in 2.77 afair.

Mr Dege, what about this?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 39 of 115, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Skybox problem in Republic Commando (Geonosis).
Can you check dege? (I'm using an Intel 750 iGPU + lastest drivers with D3D12 as you can see, but the issue is present with D3D11 too)

NO wrapper
0.jpg

D3D12 wrapper
1.jpg