VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was playing Gray Matter (https://store.steampowered.com/app/260570/Gray_Matter/) which is a DX9 game and has no rendering issues on my 980 Ti in Windows 10, but I use dgVoodoo anyway because the inventory menu is broken with resolutions higher than 1600x900 (the game is a Windows XP game with a late release in 2010, and they never tested higher resolutions.) So I set the game to 1600x900 but force 2560x1440 with dgVoodoo.

But when I got into a place in the game were videos were supposed to be playing in-game (on a computer screen), they don't. I just get a solid green color in the spot where the video is supposed to be. The cutscene videos play fine. And, without dgVoodoo, the in-game videos work fine.

I thought "Enable GDI hooking" might fix it, but this makes the game crash on startup (it gets to the main menu of the game, but as soon as you load a save game, it crashes.)

Using dgVoodoo 2.79.3.

Reply 2 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-17, 17:52:

You should probably upload a save file from where it happens.

Oh, right. I attached the contents of the "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\GrayMatter" directory. You can copy paste that directly as-is in Explorer's location bar (Ctrl+L).

Load the second save and click on the computer screen. Then select the videos and try watching one of them.

Attachments

• Filename
    GrayMatter.zip
    File size
    48.98 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote on 2022-10-16, 22:03:
I was playing Gray Matter (https://store.steampowered.com/app/260570/Gray_Matter/) which is a DX9 game and has no rendering issu […]
Show full quote

I was playing Gray Matter (https://store.steampowered.com/app/260570/Gray_Matter/) which is a DX9 game and has no rendering issues on my 980 Ti in Windows 10, but I use dgVoodoo anyway because the inventory menu is broken with resolutions higher than 1600x900 (the game is a Windows XP game with a late release in 2010, and they never tested higher resolutions.) So I set the game to 1600x900 but force 2560x1440 with dgVoodoo.

But when I got into a place in the game were videos were supposed to be playing in-game (on a computer screen), they don't. I just get a solid green color in the spot where the video is supposed to be. The cutscene videos play fine. And, without dgVoodoo, the in-game videos work fine.

I thought "Enable GDI hooking" might fix it, but this makes the game crash on startup (it gets to the main menu of the game, but as soon as you load a save game, it crashes.)

Using dgVoodoo 2.79.3.

A DX9 game shouldn't usually be using GDI for such purposes. Have you tried changing the card or using the WARP renderer?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote on 2022-10-17, 21:16:
ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-17, 17:52:

You should probably upload a save file from where it happens.

Oh, right. I attached the contents of the "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\GrayMatter" directory. You can copy paste that directly as-is in Explorer's location bar (Ctrl+L).

Load the second save and click on the computer screen. Then select the videos and try watching one of them.

Thanks for the easy repro, I fixed it. It's a DX9 texture update incompatibility bug, not GDI-related video playback (errors appear about it in the log with the dbg version of dgVoodoo).