VOGONS

First post, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lord of the Rings - War in the North (D3D9) crashes at start (directly or in the few instants of the opening videos)

Reply 1 of 10, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote on 2023-03-08, 17:47:

Lord of the Rings - War in the North (D3D9) crashes at start (directly or in the few instants of the opening videos)

2 dumps (from the game itself) -> see attachment

Attachments

• Filename
    witn_crash.zip
    File size
    47.15 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the forced MSAA probably breaks something intermediate in the game rendering process... The best would be some postprocess AA for this game instead.
The shadows are pixelated natively too (point sampled filter for the shadow map). No matter if bilinear sampling is forced it does not look very different and great either, the shadow map is too small compared the area it wraps (a very large portion of the level).

The missing foliage - indeed it's missing. I'll try to figure out it, unfortunately the worst to debug is something that does not appear at all.

Reply 10 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sh*t, if I had spotted this message earlier in the debug log, then it'd have saved me a lot of wasted time I spent on the missing foliage bug last week. I could have fix it in 5 minutes:

2512496	334.998091	27760	witn.exe	[dgVoodoo] ERROR: Direct3DDevice9 (29107940): Draw*/ProcessVertices: Current FVF code (6A4412) is invalid.

Anyway, foliage is rendered now.

lowenz wrote on 2023-04-19, 17:32:

It's the same for Blacksite: Area51? (i mean the shadows)

Probably but I don't know it. I should check out the details in the game to tell.