VOGONS

First post, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've seen several people get Minecraft to run on Windows 98. I have a Windows 98, so why not do the same? I installed Java 6u7, ran the game, and an error.
I don't really know what the problem is. I don't know if it has to do with the hardware, or the software. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 450. The PC has a Pentium III @ 650MHz. It has 320MB system RAM.

I made a video showing the problem.
https://youtu.be/OgIB6fAfNuc

If anyone needs any more information, I'll be glad to provide.

Reply 1 of 7, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It'll be a slide show on that CPU.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 2 of 7, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most probably LWJGL (a library that Minecraft uses internally) does not support Windows 9x. LWJGL was first released in 2007.

However, as Fusion says above, on that CPU (if you were able to get LWJGL to work) you would not get anything even remotely resembling a playable experience on a Pentium 3 at all.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 3 of 7, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been done before. I mostly want to play old versions, which actually can run at a sort of decent framerate as they use far less memory than newer versions. I just want to know how to fix the issue I have, since people have gotten it to work on lower powered CPUs than me before.

Reply 6 of 7, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wasn't sure if I would need KernelEx or not based on the fact I was able to install Java 6u7 without it and the Minecraft launcher ran.

Solarstrike wrote:

And you never thought to cite this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaynOXm1X3Y

I saw that video, but since Java 6u7 was able to be installed without KernelEx, I thought it was pointless. Also, I didn't watch that video until after I was already made my first post here.

dottoss wrote:

I guess you have seen this before?
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecra … ndows-98?page=2

What exactly is the issue without looking at the video?

I hadn't seen that post before. The issue seems to have something to do with the display.

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\WINDOWS\.minecraft\versions\1.5.2\1.5.2-natives-332213864630\lwjgl.dll: A device attached to the system is not functioning
I have seen that error several times, slightly different depending on the version. However, they all seem to have something to do with lwjgl.dll: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I was hoping to be able to get it to run without KernelEx, which seems to be what someone I was talking to about it had working. I mostly want to know if the issue has to do with software, or if my hardware just can't handle it at all.