VOGONS

First post, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There´s not much love shown to the S3 Savage 4.
Sure, they were not in the level of performance of a Voodoo3 or TNT2, still, they have features which make them unique and interesting, at least to me.

Especially when it comes to the Pro and Extreme variants. I find them good enough performers, at 800x600x32.
Depending on the board manufacturer, they also produce a superb image quality. I´ve got a Diamond Stealth III S540 16Mb ("pro" chip variant) and a NumberNine ("extreme" variant) with DVI , both excellent in that regard.

Do you know of any more or less comprehensive list of games that benefit from the S3 Savage4 technologies (Metal, MiniGL, S3TC)?
Be it natively or with post launch patches, of course.

If not, then here´s an invitation to elaborate one (yes, I know there are not that many of them).

I´ll start :

- Unreal
- Unreal Tournament
- Heretic II
- Rune
- Deus EX
- Resident Evil 2

What else comes to mind?

Last edited by Con 2 botones on 2021-04-19, 00:09. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-04-14, 18:52:

Is Heretic II really compatible? That's a Quake 2 engine game, the rest is Unreal. Conversely I'd be surprised if other games with that engine don't support it.

I believe it is, at least partially (S3TC), please correct me if I am wrong.
It won´t let you choose "Metal" while in the ingame video options though.
Besides software rendering, Glide, G200GL and VeriteGL, you get to choose"OpenGL32" option.
First, one has to copy the S3 MiniGL driver called "openGl32.dll", to the "drivers" directory inside the game installation directory.

Last edited by Con 2 botones on 2022-09-06, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2021-05-07, 13:49:

Very complete post of yours in that link! Thank you very much!
I´ll investigate on that.