VOGONS

Windows 95 setup guide for the 2020's

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 123, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent guide! On the subject of Win95 OSR 2.5 I recently noticed something interesting. When you get to the "Setup will now install IE4" screen, you can press CRTL+ALT+DEL and use End Task to close that screen.

It won't prompt you to install IE4 or Desktop Update ever again, so you basically end up with OSR2.1.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 62 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-09-01, 04:53:

Excellent guide! On the subject of Win95 OSR 2.5 I recently noticed something interesting. When you get to the "Setup will now install IE4" screen, you can press CRTL+ALT+DEL and use End Task to close that screen.

It won't prompt you to install IE4 or Desktop Update ever again, so you basically end up with OSR2.1.

That is true. OSR 2.5 really, really is just OSR 2/2.1 but with IE4 tacked on top. Microsoft didn't even slipstream it into the installation packages, rather the setup is initiated right after Windows installation completes. If you cancel the installation (as you discovered you can do) you'll still end up with IE 3, without the option to uninstall it in the Add/Remove Software-applet. Hence, the only difference in the instructions for IE-removal is that for OSR 2.5 you have to delete all the IE4 setup files that are absent in earlier installation directories. There's no harm in leaving them there, but they take up unnecessary disk space.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 64 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news Win9xers!

I've been exchanging information with the PuTTY team and it looks like 0.77 will be the first release of PuTTY since 0.65 to work on Windows 95! The WinSock 2 update is required (this is included in the instructions anyway), but no dependency on IE.

Those of you relying on the app can help test the pre-release version which can be downloaded from here. My initial testing shows that all the utilities work as of today (2022-03-13.5d58931).

I will update the Essential Utilities-section once the final release rolls out.

edit: The new version of PuTTY is out for Windows 95. 😎

Last edited by leonardo on 2022-06-05, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More news for Windows 95-fans:

It turns out there are some compatible beta drivers that enable us to use ATi Radeon series cards all the way up to the 9800-series (with a possible limitation of being only able to use Direct3D-rendering for games)! See this post from asdf53 for more details.

Previously if one wanted a higher-end graphics card for a very late Windows 95 setup, one was pretty much limited to GeForce 3/4/FX-series cards from nVidia. One might still prefer GeForce, see this post for why. However, if you've got a Radeon lying about and don't want to spend extra this might just be a workable solution.

I'm currently testing a system that I would have considered out-of-bounds for Windows 95 not long ago. It's based on the ViA KT600-chipset and an Athlon XP-processor. Windows 95 will likely not be able to use all the on-board features such as USB 2.0, SATA or built-in ethernet, BUT it does run stable and accelerate 3D-graphics with the Radeon 9600 Pro I'm also testing.

Ideally I would still recommend 98SE or XP for a system like this, though.

Last edited by leonardo on 2022-05-15, 20:26. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 66 of 123, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about config file parameters to have it boot into DOS by default and then type “win” to have it boot into Win95 ?
What config file parameters do you need for this ? ( autoexec.bat and config.sys )

Reply 67 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:38:

What about config file parameters to have it boot into DOS by default and then type “win” to have it boot into Win95 ?
What config file parameters do you need for this ? ( autoexec.bat and config.sys )

Good idea for an addendum! I have those notes somewhere... will post back soon.

Reply 68 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:38:

I've now got your question covered in a new section called Tips & Tricks. See the appended original post for details. 😀

Reply 70 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2022-08-20, 21:28:

Great thread! Thanks for the info and links.

From one king to another, I appreciate your feedback. 😎 🍰

Reply 71 of 123, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-03-13, 09:36:

Great news Win9xers!

I've been exchanging information with the PuTTY team and it looks like 0.77 will be the first release of PuTTY since 0.65 to work on Windows 95! The WinSock 2 update is required (this is included in the instructions anyway), but no dependency on IE.

I just tried to install PuTTY 0.77 and I'm not that impressed.
The plain executable (putty.exe) won't even start on Windows 2000, much less on Windows 95. The installer is also broken; no matter which directory I choose, a dialog box pops up with the message "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive".

Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) | Core 2 Quad Q9550 | GTX 750 Ti | 8 GiB DDR3 | 120 GB SSD + 640 GB HDD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | WinXP64, 7, 11
Fujitsu D1215 board | P3 866 | Riva TNT2 M64 | 256 MiB PC133 CL2 | 120 GB HDD | WfW 3.11, Win95, NT, 2k, XP

Reply 72 of 123, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GemCookie wrote on 2022-09-25, 17:00:

The plain executable (putty.exe) won't even start on Windows 2000, much less on Windows 95. The installer is also broken; no matter which directory I choose, a dialog box pops up with the message "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive".

There is a similar program (fork of Putty) Kitty
Although I don't know if it runs on old Windows.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 73 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GemCookie wrote on 2022-09-25, 17:00:
leonardo wrote on 2022-03-13, 09:36:

Great news Win9xers!

Hello!

You must have downloaded the build intended for modern operating systems. You can get the compatible build for PuTTY directly from this link, which is also included in the Essential Utilities-section of my guide on page 1.

😀

Reply 74 of 123, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,
recently I bought a Tulip Vision Line xd 6/350 and I wanted to give a try the Windows 95 installation, because when this line released in January of 1998, Tulip was using the Windows 95c version and on summer of 1998 switched to Windows 98.
I have an issue, I'm using the Windows 95c CD for installation, but the USB supplement patch refuses to be installed, both the official files and the unofficial XUSBSUPP, because scandisk gives me an error for not enough memory. Very strange, never had this issue on some vintage laptops I installed the patches a couple of years ago. Anyone knows what causing it?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 75 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JSO wrote on 2022-09-28, 21:06:

Greetings,
recently I bought a Tulip Vision Line xd 6/350 and I wanted to give a try the Windows 95 installation, because when this line released in January of 1998, Tulip was using the Windows 95c version and on summer of 1998 switched to Windows 98.
I have an issue, I'm using the Windows 95c CD for installation, but the USB supplement patch refuses to be installed, both the official files and the unofficial XUSBSUPP, because scandisk gives me an error for not enough memory. Very strange, never had this issue on some vintage laptops I installed the patches a couple of years ago. Anyone knows what causing it?

I read somewhere that your hard disk being nearly full may cause out-of-memory errors, because Windows cannot increase the size of the virtual memory (swap) file on the hard disk.

If this is not the case, one thing you could try (that reportedly works sometimes) is to restart your system in Safe Mode (hit F8 right as Windows bootup begins to select the Safe Mode-option) and try installing the eXtended USB Supplement once there. ScanDisk may complete in Safe Mode allowing the installation to complete.

edit: Just to warn - you DO NOT want to install both updates. Only install the original USBSUPP.exe or the eXtended USB Supplement, never both! I recommend the latter because it gives you mass storage drivers and the ability to safely eject a connected USB-storage device.

Reply 76 of 123, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I found the culprit for this behavior.

The maximum size of the HDD, was 127GB, scandiskw needs less than 32GB to work under Windows 95.

I made some tests, it runssss!

But I have an issue now. I used Ontrack Disk Manager 10.46 to create the partition and now I cannot revert the total size of the 1TB HDD. I tested every single tool for HDDs to revert the small partition but I couldn't. Strange. Is there any way to fix it?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 77 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JSO wrote on 2022-09-29, 19:46:
Thanks. I found the culprit for this behavior. […]
Show full quote

Thanks. I found the culprit for this behavior.

The maximum size of the HDD, was 127GB, scandiskw needs less than 32GB to work under Windows 95.

I made some tests, it runssss!

But I have an issue now. I used Ontrack Disk Manager 10.46 to create the partition and now I cannot revert the total size of the 1TB HDD. I tested every single tool for HDDs to revert the small partition but I couldn't. Strange. Is there any way to fix it?

Hmm... it's been a while since I've had to play with disks this way - I just stick to volumes smaller than 32 GB most of the time for Windows 95 (and use something other than Microsoft's own fdisk to partition them).

Maybe you need something like this?

Reply 78 of 123, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

USBUPD2 is a critical update to fix a severe memory leak itroduced in USBSUPP and it doesn't run scandisk. Without it the system is unstable but usb flash drives work with 95usbflash11.exe, in fact i copied the update from usb.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 79 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dondiego wrote on 2022-09-30, 08:03:

USBUPD2 is a critical update to fix a severe memory leak itroduced in USBSUPP and it doesn't run scandisk. Without it the system is unstable but usb flash drives work with 95usbflash11.exe, in fact i copied the update from usb.

Thanks for the reminder - if one decides to install USBSUPP, USBUPD2 should also be installed.

However in the updated guide I have moved to recommend the eXtended USB Supplement instead of the aforementioned, since it incorporates all the previous updates and also includes a tray utility and mass storage drivers for completeness.