VOGONS

Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disabled the smartcard reader now and starts up faster.

So I disabled in BIOS what I do not need since I do not need wireless/modem. Also in windows 98se itself I disabled the smartcard reader, giving me boot problems slowing it down.

I'm still very happy most things work. I mean all the drivers are fine no conflicts, the laptop can shut down and does not tell me to shut it off. Battery indicator works finally.

Anyway what is not working right, my guess is the DOS sound in DOS itself still untested atm. But from what I read here, I need one file to correct this?

What else - the buttons on the laptop for volume controle, so vol up vol down and mute do nothing for me atm.

Reply 181 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to replying so late...
For enabling the battery in the taskbar, you have to enable ACPI as written in the instructions.
For troubleshooting the sound:
-Did you install all the main system updates first? This is required or else Win98 will give an annoying popup about a missing file and the driver installation will be futile.

DOS Sound:
Try setblast.exe! Play around with DOS sound settings until you get sound! But make sure Win98 has sound first!!!
download/file.php?id=15196

Personal Blog

Reply 182 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah battery indicator is working but instructions I read on here did not help me, did this though:
Using Registry Editor, add the "ACPIOption" (without quotation marks) string value with a value data of 1 to the following registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Detect"
If the value "ACPICheckDate" exists, DELETE this value, or the ACPI detection will not take place.
Go to Control Panel -> Add New Hardware and search for new hardware to detect the new ACPI hardware.

ACPICheckDate did exist and that was the reason why the battery indicator still did not work with me.

All the updates are installed for windows 98se, windows 98se sound is working alright. Already tested out a few games and the windows sounds are working as they should.

OK thanks a lot for that file I'll fiddle around with it in DOS. I guess put it in the main root? C:\ ?

Only have to make the mouse work better it's acting up being a bit sluggish in Win98se, installed some logitech drivers but still same and one other driver but nothing. Still have to try it in the docking station if the PS2 port work better for it with an adapter to USB. Though the laptop mouse cursor can move smoothly with the laptop touchpad, just when I connect a USB mouse the mouse is sluggish.. it's a standard optical mouse btw of logitech.. which is why I tried logitech drivers.

Reply 183 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C.J. wrote:

OK thanks a lot for that file I'll fiddle around with it in DOS. I guess put it in the main root? C:\ ?

Only have to make the mouse work better it's acting up being a bit sluggish in Win98se, installed some logitech drivers but still same and one other driver but nothing. Still have to try it in the docking station if the PS2 port work better for it with an adapter to USB. Though the laptop mouse cursor can move smoothly with the laptop touchpad, just when I connect a USB mouse the mouse is sluggish.. it's a standard optical mouse btw of logitech.. which is why I tried logitech drivers.

Eh, I'll try to respond when I can. Life has been very busy for me lately.

I'm not sure what causes the sluggish mouse. This once occurred to me when I did a 98SE installation. Windows was extremely slow. It may require a reinstallation...or Windows ME. I am REALLY not sure what causes this issue. You can try reinstalling drivers, but I cannot guarantee anything.

Personal Blog

Reply 184 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ok same problem here atm. I'll try a few things or a few mice 😀 But I do however got eveything I need to try fixing the mouse. I haven't had time to fiddle around in DOS yet with the file you sent me, but will let you know when I get my DOS sound fixed or if I had any probs.

Hmm just ran into a new problem, well I figured it out the adapter from the laptop does not work with the docking station. So you have one for the laptop and one for the docking station.. I did not know this. I only had one A/C adapter with the laptop/docking station which output is 19,5V / 4,62A. I never had a docking station before 😒

I did buy an original del A/C adapter later on ebay which says 19,5V / 3,34A and it works alright connected directly to the laptop. But not with the docking station, you get this standard error msg where it says the adapter does not meet the power requirements.. which is right because it's 3,34A instead of 4,62A.

Now have to order a new cable or buy an original A/C adapter for the docking station since it does not have a EU plug.

Reply 185 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is late, but yea, you have to buy a third-party adapter. Dell just sucks at meeting their own power requirements.

A while back, I bought an old dell charger at a thrift store. It worked fine for a while but due to twisting of the cord, the system claims it doesn't work properly despite working on another laptop just fine.

I hope you're enjoying Windows 9x on this "modern" laptop, I'm lovin' it 😉
I also recommend installing Revelations Pack 9.7 and a task manager. Makes the system more stable.

Personal Blog

Reply 186 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the 2nd hand Dell charger from the U.K. through ebay for the docking station. Same store I ordered the other Dell charger from for the laptop itself. I am not using the docking station yet though. First fixing DOS sound then the mouse.

I am enjoying it a bit but not as much as I want to because I am still fixing problems with DOS sound or well trying to. Setblast.exe did not fix my problem, though windows 98se sound is working fine. I tried every combination, took awhile but nothing only error when I pressed test. I also tried blast.exe and setsound.bat while I was at it, nothing either. Is there anything I should pre-prep in windows 98se before using setblast.exe????

edit:
I don't know if I was clear but I'm trying to get sound working after exiting windows 98se and reboot in DOS. I managed to get sound working with the file you sent me in Windows 98se commandprompt (while still in win 98se) and it saved it to autoexec.wos instead of bat, wondering if I should edit the .bat file myself but I guess that does not fix anything. I also tried using dossound program for ac97 but did not work in DOS itself (well the program did but still no sound).

Still need to take a look at the mouse though. I have no space left in my hobbyroom 🤣, trying to sell this Commodore C64C casemod and then I can put my docking station there for awhile. Maybe I'll just put it in a box next week. Anyway still need some space for a new computer housing from Aopen as well, have this old intel computer that I bought cheap (so it looks REALLY REALLY bad on the outside and sounds like it is running on diesel) and need to unscrew everything and built up a new computer for old games as well. Still might need some parts though, we'll see. The Aopen will be my next project I guess, but not for awhile first I'll just enjoy the laptop 😀 and finish installing everything so I can use some of the stuff I learned for other projects.

I will look into Revelations and task manager programs/packs, thanks for the tip.

Reply 187 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So thought I'd give the docking station a try..
After using the docking station the laptop was acting up. I just removed the docking station and had an error in windows. Anyway, I was happy I only had to reinstall the ATI display driver. After docking, the laptop was whining about a printerport, some other unknown device (might be the mouse, using a PS2 to USB adapter) and the graphics display was a lot smaller. Also it kept saying windows could not detect if it was docked or not because I had to point out which hardware profile to use. Also the power supply and the laptop bottom were getting pretty warm, why I do not know.

Oh something different, I am still trying to fix the laggy mouse. Tried a few drivers, but noticed theres a serial connection possible on the laptop? I could try that I suppose? Found a few (new) microsoft mice that were made in that era and use serial connections.

Reply 189 of 208, by BlackAce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get the sound working in 98 on my inspiron 9300. Earlier in this post someone shared http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8947c02817ktb6 … D600_Drivers.7z, which is dead. I can't find the file anywhere else either. Anyone have a copy of this?

Reply 190 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BlackAce wrote on 2020-08-06, 15:21:

Trying to get the sound working in 98 on my inspiron 9300. Earlier in this post someone shared http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8947c02817ktb6 … D600_Drivers.7z, which is dead. I can't find the file anywhere else either. Anyone have a copy of this?

Does this work for you?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7teli2255px7419 … ers_V2.zip/file

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 191 of 208, by ConnorM95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Windows 98 SE running on my Dell Latitude D800 off a 16 gig SanDisk Ultra SDHC card. It has an ATI 9600, Pentium M 755 @2.0ghz and i use a Realtek 8185 wlan card. Runs flawlessly. Just wish i could get SpeedFan to work.

Reply 192 of 208, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a long shot if anyone still tinkers with these D600s, but, has anyone ever gotten LAN to work? I'm not trying to actually go online, but just wanted to connect it to other Win98 PCs for LAN gaming. For my D600, the DirectPlay feature in dxdiag causes a BSOD and the Networking tab is completely empty. I also haven't been successful with connecting 2 PCs via a crossover ethernet cord, nothing happens thus far.

I've tried both DirectX 8.1 and DirectX 9.0c (2004 version) with same results.

Reply 193 of 208, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DirectX is just a interface. Just as you need to install a separate graphics card driver you need to install a separate network card driver as well.
quick google says you have a Broadcom 570X, quick google on "Broadcom 570X Win98" links back to OP's very own blog 😀
http://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/ … ver-bundle.html

Reply 194 of 208, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-29, 10:40:

DirectX is just a interface. Just as you need to install a separate graphics card driver you need to install a separate network card driver as well.
quick google says you have a Broadcom 570X, quick google on "Broadcom 570X Win98" links back to OP's very own blog 😀
http://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/ … ver-bundle.html

I apologize, I should have mentioned that I grabbed the drivers already. However...you've prompted me to look at my Device Manager and my card is listed as a generic "Dial-Up Adapter". Upon re-selecting the Broadcom drivers, it says that the device isn't installed.

So I'm assuming that I need to crack open the laptop and make sure it is a Broadcom in there/if it's properly installed...? (gonna search for my tools here soon)

EDIT: Actually, if I remember right, "Dial-Up Adapter" is normally separate from the usual card. So, my card isn't showing up period. I guess that's my problem atm.

Reply 195 of 208, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xanarki wrote on 2020-12-29, 19:01:

I apologize, I should have mentioned that I grabbed the drivers already. However...you've prompted me to look at my Device Manager and my card is listed as a generic "Dial-Up Adapter". Upon re-selecting the Broadcom drivers, it says that the device isn't installed.

So I'm assuming that I need to crack open the laptop and make sure it is a Broadcom in there/if it's properly installed...? (gonna search for my tools here soon)

EDIT: Actually, if I remember right, "Dial-Up Adapter" is normally separate from the usual card. So, my card isn't showing up period. I guess that's my problem atm.

From having some Dell laptops from the same era, is the onboard network device enabled in the bios?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 196 of 208, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-12-29, 20:52:
Xanarki wrote on 2020-12-29, 19:01:

From having some Dell laptops from the same era, is the onboard network device enabled in the bios?

Thank you for the suggestion. Indeed, the "Lan Controller" was disabled in the BIOs. Upon re-enabling it, the Broadcom card showed up under Device Manager automatically, I didn't have to direct any drivers to it.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the aforementioned BSOD and blank Network tab in dxdiag. I tried searching online for the error but as expected, nothing showed up. (0028:C1AA4816 in VXD BASIC2 01). It's still a step in the right direction, so thnx

Reply 197 of 208, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Windows setup didn't detect any network cards it's skipped installing any of the networking components.
You'll need to go into Control Panel, Networking, and add the following
Under client select "Client for Microsoft Networks"
Under Protocol select TCP/IP (you may also want IPX/SPX compatible as some games didn't support TCP back then)

That's all that's needed for games, if you also want file sharing then click on the File and Print sharing button and enable file sharing.
This will now prompt you to have a username and password next restart. If its just the 2 Win98 machines it doesn't really matter what you put but if you want to connect to a style OS like XP, Win7, etc or a NAS your better off using a generic username access all devices otherwise you have to create the accounts on every device. Also give it a password, something simple like 1 is fine some devices don't like blank passwords.

Not sure about the BSOD, my fix for Win98, don't click that tab 😉

Reply 198 of 208, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thnx for the suggestions. I already had the 2 protocols installed, and a login.

I managed to get IPX working, so at least that's a positive. 😀

But, a good chunk of the games I have instead use TCP/IP for direct connections, which utilizes DirectPlay. And since I'm getting a BSOD when trying to access DirectPlay in dxdiag, there's still something wrong there. I've already tried reinstalling DirectX.

Also might be unrelated, but after I enable the LAN Controller in the BIOS, the PC takes about 3min to start up. When disabled, it only takes 30sec. Not a super huge deal, but still worth mentioning since it doesn't seem normal.

Reply 199 of 208, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That delay may indeed be the key! I'm assuming your still using the cross over cable?

If that's the case the delay is usually caused by windows trying then giving up to find an IP address.
For testing I would plug the PC's into your network or an old router or something that has a DHCP server.
Then open a command prompt and type winipcfg
As long as both PC's pick up a IP address you know TCP/IP is working ok. You could also try pinging the other PC's IP just to be sure.

If that works then you can manually assign IP address's to both the PC's and go back to using the cross over cable, been assigned a IP address off DHCP is just a quick easy way to confirm if TCP installed properly.