VOGONS

First post, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have managed to run an old hardware and install Windows 98se on it. Now I try to play some games but not every one of them want to work(not surprisingly I guess).

It seems there's something wrong either with my Sound Card or BattleSpire and Redguard games, because in both cases I cannot make them work okay if sound is enabled.

In case of Battlespire the game freezes during FMV and works only if I hit ESC. There's no sound at all though.

In case of Redguard it is way worse. The game goes up to load screen, then shows FMV and - freezes. Nothing can be done about it. If I kill the game process then Windows doesn't work okay anymore. Things hang up and I have to reboot. Sometimes Windows works, but then sound is not working correct.
Sometimes I manage to avoid opening FMVs, but then the game plays first sound all the time and only when I kill it it stops. But then Windows works wrong again and I have to reboot anyway.

None of this happens when I disable sound.

If I run a DirectX game like TOMB RAIDER then everything works okay. TOMB RAIDER 1 for DOS works great too. It's just Redguard and Battlespire that don't want to work.

Oh by the way, sometimes when I want to test sound via DOS apps(eg for Redguard) it says that C-Media Mixer is occupied by another application. I'm not sure what to do.

My specs are:

AMD Duron 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64
CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Not sure about my motherboard yet. It has integrated sound card though. My Windows is still a bit rusty, for example it cannot shutdown by itself, even with fast shutdown disabled.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caesum wrote:

Oh by the way, sometimes when I want to test sound via DOS apps(eg for Redguard) it says that C-Media Mixer is occupied by another application. I'm not sure what to do.

So you're trying to run these games while Windows is running? BattleSpire and Redguard are probably some of the most demanding DOS games ever devised and I would suggest running them in MS-DOS mode – except I doubt you can find DOS drivers for that "audio device". You might want to consider getting a proper PCI sound card; while there's nothing really wrong with integrated sound devices nowadays, that was not always the case.

The only other thing I might suggest would be to try using HIMEMX to restrict the amount of RAM you have available. 512 MB is a lot for Win98SE and might be enough to cause problems. It's easy enough to try, at least.

Reply 2 of 8, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks for quick answer!

My motherboard have integrated sound card yes, but I also have a dedicated sound card CMI8738/C3DX and this is the one I use. Maybe it's because I don't have the integrated soundcard disabled in BIOS?

I will try HIMEMX soon, thanks!

Wasn't Redguard designed for Windows 95 though? I thought it was, since it has Windows installation option. I will try it but what should I do if the game freezes? Just reboot? Never used DOS mode that much.

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There were a few DOS games that were released around that time that used Windows installers and Windows configuration programs for DOS games for some dumbass reason probably in the name of keeping it simple but it didn't really do much of that.

Redguard is a DOS game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caesum wrote:

My motherboard have integrated sound card yes, but I also have a dedicated sound card CMI8738/C3DX and this is the one I use.

I have never heard of anything like that. It could very well have obscure compatibility issues.

Maybe it's because I don't have the integrated soundcard disabled in BIOS?

That is always a good idea, especially when you have another sound card.

I will try it but what should I do if the game freezes? Just reboot?

What else would you do?

Reply 5 of 8, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CMI8738/C3DX seems to have been quite popular in Poland back then. Not sure how about the rest of the world. Seems they are still making soundcards 🤣.

Anyway, disabled integrated soundcard but it didn't do no good. Both games still lack sound for some reason. Funny thing ARENA and DAGGERFALL work great! No issues there.

Tried running BATTLESPIRE in MS-DOS mode but it works very slow and there's no sound anyway. Should I install separate drivers for MS-DOS? I don't remember how it works in W98.

OFFTOPIC: where should I ask about problems with Windows itself? I cannot make my OS shutdown properly, it reboots. Which category is for that?

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caesum wrote:

Should I install separate drivers for MS-DOS?

You would have to find them first. But DOS compatibility for PCI sound cards has always been a tricky thing, and I doubt they exist for this particular card.

OFFTOPIC: where should I ask about problems with Windows itself?

I dunno, every thread seems to be in the wrong place these days. 😜

Like I said, limiting your RAM is at least worth a try.

Reply 7 of 8, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/222.htm

This site has a whole range of beautiful drivers and most of them seem to be made for this device. I can see several DOS drivers too. I was thinking about using this one:
CMI8738, 8338 driver 38dosv2.zip

Although there are also several Windows 3.1 drivers that seem to be for DOS too?

Reply 8 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caesum wrote:

Although there are also several Windows 3.1 drivers that seem to be for DOS too?

That site contains a lot of errors with regards to operating systems, driver names, and even the sound cards the drivers are meant for (found a file meant for a Yamaha YMF-7xx chipset listed under an unrelated sound card and operating system). Proceed with caution.