VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I want to setup a few boxes on my server that can be remotely logged into from a retro system.

Dose OS/2 or win3.x have support or a app that can be used to log into to a system via RDP?
Basicity I need a RDP client app for win3.x or os/2

Thanks.

EDIT:
I'm going to guess the windows NT 3.x or win3.1 for Workgroups might have something that would work.

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can RDP from 9x (Not sure if this works with (10/2012)
OS/2 you can use a VNC client
3.1 I don't think there is a VNC client but I could be wrong.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
DosFreak wrote:

You can RDP from 9x (Not sure if this works with (10/2012)
OS/2 you can use a VNC client
3.1 I don't think there is a VNC client but I could be wrong.

Yeah I thought 9x had RDP. I'm not sure is Vbox supports VNC, if it does I cold use it. I thought NT 3x or 3.1 workgroups had something.

Basicity I'm going to setup a few boxes on a server and use the retro PC as a client when I need I need to run a newer app or something. That and it would be a cool setup.

Reply 4 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NT4 Terminal Server comes with Terminal Services (predecessor to RDP). It worked well.

If you have the old Citrix software you can use Citrix Winview on 3.x and OS/2.

According to the following RealVNC works on NT 3.51 if you want to run the VNC server or client in the guest:

https://archive.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-lis … ber/035641.html

Not sure how compatible VirtualBox VNC would be with these old clients. Only one way to find out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
DosFreak wrote:

Not sure how compatible VirtualBox VNC would be with these old clients. Only one way to find out.

Indeed. I could always use something other then Vbox or a older version of Vbox. Not like the system will be used for anything important or outside of a lan.

Jorpho wrote:

It seems DESQview/X will let you run Win3.x applications remotely.
http://toastytech.com/guis/dvx3.html

Neat, but not really what I'm looking for. I want to login to a another system from a windows 3x or os/2 system.

Basically I'll be using a old system and logging into a VM on a newer system. Kind of like a terminal server setup.

Reply 7 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have Win2k server installed, TSclient DosFreak mentions above can be found in
\%systemroot%\system32\clients\tsclient

It's also handy as newer version of RDP dropped support for NT4 Terminal server and this way you can have both on the same WinXP box

Reply 8 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remote terminals have been around, probably as long as computers have been. Even DOS has support for different Telecom and RS-232 terminals/networks allowing you to pop in. More advanced systems like server have baseboard controllers, that with special software can power on, power off, input and receive data over something like a modem or null modem connection.

I don't know of exact examples, but I know they exist. You don't have to aim for Windows, remote terminals have existed forever.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

True I don't need to use RDP/VNC or windows, But I would like to stick with RDP or VNC. And I would like to only have Dos and win3x or os/2 on the retro system.

Reply 10 of 14, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should be possible to build the mostly-Unix RDP client "rdesktop" under OS/2, against SDL. I can't say I've tried it, but apparently it's doable.

Also, you can probably run a VNC server on the machine that's running VirtualBox, and use a VNC client on OS/2 (probably cleaner than Win3.1). That seems like a lot of fungus, though. I'm somewhat baffled that VirtualBox doesn't support VNC natively.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 11 of 14, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vnc is the fastest solution, sometimes it requires a driver to get the data fast/with low cpu usage but then it just easily works on a 100mbit line without compression; the lan card better be somewhat efficient;

Reply 12 of 14, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This site I have found to be immensely useful in finding network drivers for DOS... NetWare, Packet Drivers, TCP/IP...

http://www.veder.com/nwdsk/

But most interesting to this conversation, there is an RDP client for DOS! I have not personally tried it, but I assume it works...

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC Tools 7.x also had some sort of a remote desktop, I think.
Windows 3.0 could perhaps be supported in real/standard mode there (not tested).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never tried rdp from OS/2 - check hobbes, maybe there's a client. Failing that you could run XFree86 under OS/2 and compile rdesktop for that..

It's even possible that Odin32 is functional enough to run a Windows RDP client (but probably not, bet it fails trying to call authentication APIs)