Rank

System Specs:
K6-III 450MHz
256MB RAM
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra AGP
Sound Blaster 16 PnP
250w PSU
ASUS P5A Mobo

I can't play the game in either Software mode or Hardware mode, if I try and launch the ip version of the game it gives me the error in the title. It seems it's not seeing my DX capable card. Does anyone know of this issue? Would a vooodoo wrapper possibly help? I have the recommended 45.23 Nvidia drivers installed for my GPU, and let Windows install everything else itself.

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 12, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about that, thought I'd had it in the right area 🙁

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 12, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Have you patched it? There might be a "modern patch" or something like that.

I was just about to do that, and then the 20GB hard drive I had set up on my bench died. So... I grabbed a different drive and I'm in the process of re-installing again... I've done this too many times lately, it's almost entirely automated. Also, great to see you around Phil! I love your videos 😀

firage wrote:

What version of DirectX is installed? Do other games work?

It requires a lower version of DX than 98 is shipped with, plus it attempts it's own install so the version shouldn't be an issue at all. As for other games, they did work... Then the HDD died when trying to resolve this games issue.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 6 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😁

Some of these NFS games have portable patches. You basically copy folders from the CD onto the hard drive. Then copy the patch over, and the game then runs directly from the folder and is fully patched.

But I'm not sure if it was Porsche, Road Challenge or this one.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

98SE comes with DX6, original 98 and the game have DX5. I think the later graphics card might be happier with at least DX 7.0a installed.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 12, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

😁

Some of these NFS games have portable patches. You basically copy folders from the CD onto the hard drive. Then copy the patch over, and the game then runs directly from the folder and is fully patched.

But I'm not sure if it was Porsche, Road Challenge or this one.

Once I get it back up and running, I will check for patches. I can easily get my USB stack working, and now that I have large drive support enabled on my Socket 7 I'm pretty hyped up to get it finished!

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 10 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need For Speed 3 is very finicky when it comes to 3D cards. NFS 4 less so, 5 even less so and so on.

FYI I have never managed to get my Voodoo5 working with NFS3 no matter what I did. It might prove to be a pain to run with your FX 5600 🙁.

Reply 11 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found the patch: http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/

Was running it on a modern machine, Windows 10 with Intel graphics and it worked great.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 12, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Found the patch: http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/

Was running it on a modern machine, Windows 10 with Intel graphics and it worked great.

Thank you Phil, I will definitely try that once I get my computer running again! I got Large Drive support enabled, now I just have to make it actually work with my large drives.

The Beast 2.0: