VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried installing latest firefox on a Tualatin build today to find out they ceased support for pre-SSE2 processors.

So what is the best browser to install on these systems? (WinXP in my case). I'm downloading SeaMonkey and K-Meleon as I type this but since they are also based on Mozilla tech I'd guess it would also not work.. I don't want to run ancient and compromised Opera browsers either, so am I stuck with whatever is the latest IE version I can install on WinXP?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never run IE8 on an XP machine. Security nighmare. And almost unusable. Last time I ran Firefox on a p3 it would run on non-ss2 processors but at a slower speed than sse2 chips. My suggestion would be to find the last version of Firefox that will run on it. It would still be years newer than an "updated" ie8

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 12, by dr.sbaitso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've not verified this, but according to the documentation, the Extended Support Release of Firefox will run on older (non-SSE2) processors. In other words, Firefox ESR version 52 ought to work.

Sources:
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Up … rted/ta-p/39389
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.sbaitso wrote:
I've not verified this, but according to the documentation, the Extended Support Release of Firefox will run on older (non-SSE2) […]
Show full quote

I've not verified this, but according to the documentation, the Extended Support Release of Firefox will run on older (non-SSE2) processors. In other words, Firefox ESR version 52 ought to work.

Sources:
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Up … rted/ta-p/39389
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

I'll be trying this soon and letting you know, thanks!

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.sbaitso wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

If not, you can try the 45 ESR release, though I think that's only supported with updates for another few months.

Sad to report that the 52 ESR does not support non-SSE2 CPUs 🙁

Reply 6 of 12, by dr.sbaitso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
dr.sbaitso wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

If not, you can try the 45 ESR release, though I think that's only supported with updates for another few months.

Sad to report that the 52 ESR does not support non-SSE2 CPUs 🙁

Yea the docs on that support page are a bit odd. If you noodle around with the 'customize this page' option in the side nav, eventually you can get it to tell you the last version to work without SSE2 is 48.

Try the 45 ESR release.

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.sbaitso wrote:

Yea the docs on that support page are a bit odd. If you noodle around with the 'customize this page' option in the side nav, eventually you can get it to tell you the last version to work without SSE2 is 48.

Try the 45 ESR release.

Settled for K-meleon seeing as continued patches for Firefox ESR are a dead end 😒 Also, it seems a lot less bloated and possible much faster..

Reply 8 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For pre Athlon XP/Pentium 4 stuff I always go with Firefox 10ESR its stable, not as much of a system hog as later releases and still renders the web correctly

Reply 9 of 12, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually use Firefox 48 on my TUalatin-1575 w/ 2GB. Some sites are pretty slow, but overall it's not nearly as bad as one would expect. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 10 of 12, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I had any reason to use the web on vintage gear I'd give NetSurf a try. I'm posting this right now from it as a matter of fact. 😜 (Unfortunately the OSX build is somewhat outdated.) Normally though the oldest thing I'm likely to browse on is a G5 which runs TenFourFox just fine.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 12, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may also try this: http://www.romanstefko.com/pale-moon-sse/

I've had very good experience with Palemoon, on pretty old hardware (Pentium M), however didn't tested this non SSE2 Build.
Please don't suggest with low version number compared to Firefox, as it isn't direct Firefox port.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 12 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

If I had any reason to use the web on vintage gear I'd give NetSurf a try. I'm posting this right now from it as a matter of fact. 😜 (Unfortunately the OSX build is somewhat outdated.) Normally though the oldest thing I'm likely to browse on is a G5 which runs TenFourFox just fine.

Seems to have a rather poor Windows port but seeing an AmigaOS version is nice!