Topic actions

Reply 240 of 249, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-08, 21:55:

I can run vista drivers on 7

It's not that every Windows version needs completely new drivers. There is compatibility across versions, subject to various factors.
In theory, even Windows 2000 and XP drivers (not graphics drivers though) "should" work on Windows 10, as long as the platform (x86, x64) matches.

Reply 241 of 249, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2021-07-18, 18:56:

It's not that every Windows version needs completely new drivers. There is compatibility across versions, subject to various factors.
In theory, even Windows 2000 and XP drivers (not graphics drivers though) "should" work on Windows 10, as long as the platform (x86, x64) matches.

In theory maybe, but not in practice. One of the big causes of issues with Vista was its new driver model. This caused a bunch of old hardware to outright not work, or caused crashes. I'm not sure about ATI (I think that was before the AMD purchase), but Nvidia had major stability issues for a while.

Three years later when Win 7 came out, drivers were more polished, and people were getting rid of really old hardware for new stuff. Shockingly most of the driver issues mysteriously vanished.

Reply 242 of 249, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP had XPDM, Vista had WDDM 1.0, Seven had WDDM 1.1.

XPDM still supported VGA graphics for NTVDM and video overlays/direct draw, unlike WDDM.
WDDM 1.0 supported Aero Glass.
WDDM 1.1 (re-) introduced support for multiple monitors controlled via different graphics drivers and GDI acceleration.

If Windows 7 uses Vista drivers, it has the same limitations as Vista had (in terms of graphics).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 243 of 249, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote on 2021-07-18, 18:56:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-08, 21:55:

I can run vista drivers on 7

I have a SCSI card that runs on 2000 but won't run on XP unless I mod the win2000 driver. 🤣
Will try to run some xp suff on win10 stuff soon

Reply 244 of 249, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering the new GetShellFolderPathEx-esque sabotage in new Visual C Core runtimes exclusively made for Windows 10 since late 2020, this is already happening for 7 and even 8.1. It's pretty bad since it'll blindly hit visual studio-adjacent developers and there's much "7 broke? oh well its EOL who cares!!" apathy when brought up.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 246 of 249, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me, Vista is not retro yet since it still can be tuned and tweaked to function as a modern O/S. I put it in that "future classics" category. XP Just barely qualifies to me because it's different enough, and it will become more "Classic" with each year. Once you get to Windows 2000 PRo and XP things get a little funky because they can indeed do some modern things and be usable - kind of like how a 30 year old vehicle can still drive on all of the current roads. Slightly inhibited experience, but still usable.

Windows 7 to me is still modern. It just has some safety issues because of lack of updates, and they are a bit more than just mere boogeymen feigning risks, but even then it's still usable as a modern O/S at full capacity.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 247 of 249, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP is totally retro now. Vista is nearly there.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 248 of 249, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2021-07-22, 18:59:

Considering the new GetShellFolderPathEx-esque sabotage in new Visual C Core runtimes exclusively made for Windows 10 since late 2020, this is already happening for 7 and even 8.1. It's pretty bad since it'll blindly hit visual studio-adjacent developers and there's much "7 broke? oh well its EOL who cares!!" apathy when brought up.

This is something that can be easily solved by changing a couple of Visual Studio settings. Some developers will be too lazy to bother, yes. However, 7 still has more chance than Vista, simply because of the user base.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 249 of 249, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just installed XP on Core 2 Quad as the most powerful officially supported XP gaming machine. I did notice something:

1) Developers got lazy and started to make even retro emulators apps for .NET framework 4.5. This one was never, even unofficially avail in XP. Therefore if you want to run something like Mesen (.NET 4.5), you need at least Vista.
2) If you want to use sound card with gameport and play emulator using these joysticks and gamepads, you need to use XP. Or the hacked driver and support. Vista hacked driver supports the original Game controller panel. Win 7 32-bit does not support, it needs to install gameport driver + joystick driver manually (I guess there is no calibration because of lack of control panel). 64-bit Windows (tried on Win 10) will not work with gameport at all.

NOTE: PCI sound cards do not work with two joysticks using gameport cable split - I'm using that together with Roland SC-55 on Win98 and ISA soundcard. For current Win XP system I had to put two PCI sound cards just to support two joysticks for retro gaming.

Therefore it starts to be conflicting mainly because of arrogant developers, such as Launchbox, and their frameworks. Interesting is that Mesen on Linux is using SDL2 and Mono. I don't understand why they could not use SDL2 on Windows, instead of DirectX 11 and .NET 4.5. You can get DX11 for XP. Problem is .NET 4.5 is Vista and up. So I'm thinking about Vista 32-bit right now to get a wider span of software support. Or I will keep XP and dual boot to Win 10 x64 (needs SSD drive and 8GB RAM)