Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Another solution is to use an IDE to USB adapter to copy the CDROM's WIN98 directory to your C: drive and then install from there by booting off a floppy. No CD drive required for that.

This. I ran into odd problems with 9x and this tends to fix the problem, its a band aid fix. But who cares once 9x is installed.

Not really a bandaid fix. As a rule I copy over the CAB files and install from the HDD as it speeds up the install significantly and makes subsequent driver installs much more straight forward.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ Installing from hard disk has another advantage - if installation was started by using a non-IDE/-SCSI type CD-ROM drive,
Windows often looses access to the installation media in the middle of the setup procedure.
This once happened to me on Win95 with a Mitsumi LU005 drive, which has no corresponding Windows drivers.
Another nice side-effect is that Windows 98 will never ask for the Win98 CD again if you install new hardware.
Just like WinME, it can access the driver's database anytime. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 25, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found a pentium 3 computer maybe i wil trie and install windows on that computer ,problem is the psu is dead has bad caps
it has a atx connector the motherboard so i need a new atx psu but new ones dont have the -5 <not only for isa but old motherboards need -5 to be stable some hdd's and ram also use -5 / any way i have this awe32 isa card that i want to use but so wat kind of psu do i need ? with -5 i cant find one

Reply 23 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Yup, good idea. Just make sure the IDE-USB adapter is compatible with the HDD. I once tried such a converter device with a fixed […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Another solution is to use an IDE to USB adapter to copy the CDROM's WIN98 directory to your C: drive and then install from there by booting off a floppy. No CD drive required for that.

This. I ran into odd problems with 9x and this tends to fix the problem, its a band aid fix. But who cares once 9x is installed.

Yup, good idea. Just make sure the IDE-USB adapter is compatible with the HDD.
I once tried such a converter device with a fixed disk that complied to the original IDE specs.
It was a ~40MB drive and it wasn't recognized by the adapter, but worked perfectly fine in a 586 Pentium machine with on-board IDE.

Running the W98 installer off the hard drive is loads faster too. As an additional embellishment make a data drive, say D:, and copy the W98 install CD there. That way you can easily repeat the installation operation if needed.

In the reinstall scenario boot off floppy, reformat C, then navigate to D and run the W98 installer from from there. With the hard drive partitioned into 2 drives you have the added benefit of a dedicated OS drive C:, and a dedicated data/games drives D:. IIR W98 only needs a few hundred MB's if only OS and critical apps go in C. Good hunting...

Reply 24 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Not really a bandaid fix. As a rule I copy over the CAB files and install from the HDD as it speeds up the install significantly and makes subsequent driver installs much more straight forward.

It does not fix the underlying problem of not being able to install from a CD, this is why I call it a band aid fix.
But yes it can be way faster and It addresses any problems you may run into with installing from a CD.

Reply 25 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of a bandaid, it's like fixing the cut on your finger by replacing your hand.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder