Rank

My setup:
Processor: Pentium 200MMX
Mobo: ASUS TX97 - XE
Graphic 2D: S3 Trio 64 V+ 4MB
Graphic 3D: Voodoo Graphics 4MB
RAM: 128MB RAM
Sound: SoundBlaster AWE64 CT4500

I have an idea but I have no idea how to do it. Now I have win98SE on HDD and DOS6.22 of floppy (on USB in gotek) and my question is, how to make DOS to see HDD and CD drive? And is it possible to run win98 from DOS when I'd like to swap between them? I know it wouldn't from win98 to DOS cause of DOS7.10 in it, sorry if that's stupid but I'm not good at clean DOS.

Reply 1 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forget DOS 6.22. Completely. Just set BootGUI=0 in MSDOS.SYS of Win98 on your hard drive, and it will boot to 'clean DOS' every time. Then if you want to run Windows, you just enter the WIN command. That's it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
haker120 wrote:

I have an idea but I have no idea how to do it. Now I have win98SE on HDD and DOS6.22 of
floppy (on USB in gotek) and my question is, how to make DOS to see HDD and CD drive?

It's been a while since I did such things, so I can't give any advice how to add DOS subsequently.
It's important, however, that the HDD is set up with a FAT16 file system (use FDISK, then FORMAT C:).
Adding CD-ROM Support for IDE/ATAPI drives isn't hard. Just add:

Autoexec.bat
MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /L:D

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\DOS\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

MSCDEX is part of DOS 6.x and VIDE-CDD.SYS can be found online.

haker120 wrote:

And is it possible to run win98 from DOS when I'd like to swap between them?

No. But Win98 setup will create an entry in the startup menu, if it finds MS-DOS on your HDD. 😀
It looks like this:

7prev.gif
Filename
7prev.gif
File size
8.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

See also http://thpc.info/how/bootmenu9x.html
Edit: By "no" I mean MS-DOS 6.22. You can run Win98 by entering "WIN" in DOS 7.x, of course.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get CuteMouse (http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/) and just call it from the DOS command prompt. You can also add it to autoexec.bat, but I wouldn't recommend having it loaded when you start Windows 98. You may also add it to dosstart.bat, which is a batch file Windows 98 executes when entering DOS mode.

Reply 9 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Get CuteMouse (http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/) and just call it from the DOS command prompt. You can also add it to autoexec.bat, but I wouldn't recommend having it loaded when you start Windows 98.

Why?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had any real-mode driver (mouse, CDROM) actually break anything in Windows. As for slowing it down - that may be interesting. Has this ever been benchmarked/documented? Is the driver still active when Windows loads? Won't the Windows driver take over? By what process can the real-mode driver affect Windows?

Reply 12 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are interesting thoughts, I must say..
Windows 9x has it's own, seamless mouse driver which can be used in windowed DOS sessions.

I haven't checked if CuteMouse gets in the way with that, but it could be possible that
Windows uses the mouse driver that was in use first (CuteMouse, in that case).
If that's the case, someone would loose that seamless feature.

Anyway, I'm just thinking about it, since Windows 3.11 also had a similar ability,
even though it required MS-Mouse driver ~v8 or higher to be loaded in DOS.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 17, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can setup a boot menu in config.sys and autoexec.bat, allowing you to have different configuration for DOS 7.1 and for Windows 98.

Basically, after setting bootgui=0, do this in your config.sys:

[MENU]
MENUITEM=DOS
MENUITEM=WINDOWS

[DOS]
insert here whatever should happen if the user selects DOS

[WINDOWS]
same for Windows

and in autoexec.bat:

@echo off
goto %config%

:DOS
insert dos configuration here
goto end

:WINDOWS
insert windows configuration here
win
goto end

:END

Reply 15 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

I never had any real-mode driver (mouse, CDROM) actually break anything in Windows. As for slowing it down - that may be interesting. Has this ever been benchmarked/documented? Is the driver still active when Windows loads? Won't the Windows driver take over? By what process can the real-mode driver affect Windows?

A 16-bit CD-ROM driver loaded in real-mode e.g. will cause Windows to access the CD-ROM in 16-bit mode. At least Windows 95 does that. It's even displayed somewhere in Winows if that happens; can't tell by heart where exactly, thought.

You may look at the readme files that come with Windows about real-mode drivers. The DOSSTART.BAT for example was introduced to get around this. You can put your mouse driver, MSCDEX etc. there. It will not get executed when booting Windows, but when exiting to DOS mode.

Reply 16 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try going to bootdisk.com and downloading a pre configured boot disk.
If that bootdisk picks up your CD drive you can copy the relevant drivers and lines into your actual autoexec,bat /config.sys

Reply 17 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

A 16-bit CD-ROM driver loaded in real-mode e.g. will cause Windows to access the CD-ROM in 16-bit mode. At least Windows 95 does that. It's even displayed somewhere in Winows if that happens; can't tell by heart where exactly, thought.

I did a quick test of how Windows 98 SE sees devices with DOS drivers loaded (CTMOUSE, VIDECDD, SMARTDRV, EMM386 and DOSKEY). Indeed System Information shows these drivers being loaded (under MS-DOS drivers), but there is no indication they are being used. In the Device Manager, the mouse shows as 'PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port' using VMOUSE.VXD, MSMOUSE.VXD and MOUSE.DRV, the CDROM drives use MSCDROM.INF, hard drive uses DISKDRV.INF.

Furthermore, all drives show as operating in DMA mode. The System Properties --> Performance tab says "Your system is configured for optimal performance". There is no "Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system" message.

The only thing different if I skip loading all DOS drivers, is that they do not appear in the System Information summary, but everything else is the same.

1. This is Win98 SE; older versions may be different, e.g., Win95 as you say.
2. I did not benchmark actual performance