VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to use my version of Tomb Raider from GOG to test out my 'new' Diamond Monster 3D but just copying the installation over does not seem to work -- Setup.Exe or TombRaidNo3Dfx.exe both ask for Tomb Raider CD while the regular 'Tomb.Exe' throws a different error. Has anyone used this copy for real hardware?

Upon examing the .conf file I found...

"imgmount d ".\game.dat" -t iso -fs iso"

So for DOSBOX this "Game.dat' file qualifies the CD but this is a 1KB .DAT file and certainly not anything that can be used to create an ISO or cue/bin file off of..

Reply 1 of 8, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GAME.DAT file is the cuesheet (.CUE) part of the image (it's just a text file), GAME.GOG contains the file data (.BIN file of the CUE/BIN format, I believe). The audio tracks are separate MP3 files (02.MP3 to 10.MP3).

I haven't tested it myself, but it should work if you can manage to merge the data and audio files back into a real CD. I guess using MP3 files as part of a CUE/BIN CD image is only supported in DOSBox and not by any CD burning software, meaning you can't just burn the image as-is, but I could be wrong.

Reply 2 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahh, hmm... so I have to find some way to extract data from the '.GOG' file, combine it with the MP3 files into a CUE, BIN or ISO?

Sounds like the answer to my OP is basically no and that you need the original disc(s) if you want to play on real hardware.

Reply 3 of 8, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of burning a CD you could try using the free DOS utility SHSUCD to mount the image as a virtual CD. I got HoMM2 to run in real DOS this way (another game from GOG which runs inside dosbox)

Reply 4 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

Sounds like the answer to my OP is basically no and that you need the original disc(s) if you want to play on real hardware.

You can simply burn the GOG cd disc image and use that on real hardware. Or, if you don't care about cd audio, you can extract the files from the cd image and apply a no-cd patch. Every GOG game that runs inside DOSBox also works on real hardware.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

They may work but occasionally they are crippled by gog (no more install, sound setup program etc).
In this case, a burning program that handles cue/bin files is good enough to burn it without having to extract the files (the combination gog uses is just renamed cue/bin)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:

Philscomputerlab did a video on burning a CD for Tomb Raider using the GOG version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJuPWutxhc

Aahhh! Of course! I actually searched his channel for "Tomb Raider" so I didn't find this. Thanks Phil!