VOGONS

Reply 40 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Works fairly well in my P3-1200 / GeForce 3 Ti 200 / DX9 PC but ever since upgrading from a P3-700 / GeForce 2 GTS / DX7a I get noticable texture corruption in places; is this a known and reported behaviour?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 72, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tsukiouji wrote:

Beware of the `fast CPU texture LOD bug` which kicks in (afair) after ~1GHz and going really wild at 2GHz+. There are patches to fix that.
Btw, I wholeheartedly recommend to patch NFS:PU extensivly with now-tried and available community patches, like "NFS5 Essentials" which fixes alot of car parts too.

My game is already patched with all available updates that make sense for my setup (also for graphical bugs). It would otherwise crash after an x amount of hours of use at the start game screen (which was really annoying back in the day when I didn't have a patch).

I haven't tested this game any further yet (fully completed evolution mode and now I'm bored with it 😊 ). I still use the same pc with the same graphics card. There's not much else that I can test. Maybe a beast like a GF6800 Ultra and a Tualatin PIII could give me some additional frames or maybe I should downgrade to something more period correct like a GF256 / TNT2 Ultra 😊

Reply 42 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I've put together a retro pc and the only game I'm unable to run is NFS Porsche. Such a great game!

I have a win98SE / Semprom 2600+ 1600MHz / 256GB RAM with Geforce 6200 128mb AGP.

Game shows intro movie and crashes to desktop right after splash screen ( I don't even get to the menus). Tried to revert to dx7.0a, old Nvidia drivers (4.14.10.8185) but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Reply 43 of 72, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What, if any updates have you installed for Windows?

Please don't say the unofficial SP3 as the newer versions are absolute trash.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-01, 04:20:

What, if any updates have you installed for Windows?

Please don't say the unofficial SP3 as the newer versions are absolute trash.

I don't think i've got SP3. I guess i just did a plan win98SE install and updated it with IE6.
Mine shows Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A

Attachments

• win98.jpg
    Filename
    win98.jpg
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    win98 version
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 45 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I've tried everything I could under win98, but the game does not work. Best I could get was at initial menu but with no characters and no clickable buttons (that was using verokster's patch).

So I've installed winxp sp3 on the same computed (now I have dual boot 😀 ) and it works just fine under winxp! go figure...

Reply 46 of 72, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfratelli wrote on 2021-04-05, 03:36:

Ok I've tried everything I could under win98, but the game does not work. Best I could get was at initial menu but with no characters and no clickable buttons (that was using verokster's patch).

If you were running the game under Win98, then no 3rd-party patch was ever needed. Perhaps using such patch was the cause of your trouble as the patch was meant to fix the game on Windows XP+.

The last Win98 driver for GeForce 6 wasn't that great either. There were other posts here in VOGONS (if you did a search) that it broke compatibility with old DirectX games such as NFS Porsche and Mafia on Win98. You can either check out older drivers or use other more compatible Win98 GPUs, such as GeForce FX.

Reply 47 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I've tried some older drivers (from Phil computer labs website). No luck. I wasn't using the patch in first place I just tried the patch when It did not worked out of the box.
Must be some kind of VGA compatibility issue because I remember running it under win98 back then, I just don't recall on which hardware.

Anyway, such a great game!

Reply 48 of 72, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it is a great game.

With modern virtualization, the performance of playing the game on VM on modern system (incl. laptops) simply outclass anything that is less than GeForce 6600 GPUs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hm9bPOM84

You can also get 3rd-party OpenGL 3rash driver if that will work better on your GeForce 6200. The link is in the description on the YouTube video.

Reply 49 of 72, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfratelli wrote on 2021-04-05, 03:57:

Yes I've tried some older drivers (from Phil computer labs website). No luck. I wasn't using the patch in first place I just tried the patch when It did not worked out of the box.
Must be some kind of VGA compatibility issue because I remember running it under win98 back then, I just don't recall on which hardware.

Your issue is without a question related to the video card. A GeForce 6200 is not suitable for a Win98 build, its drivers break compatibility with many games.
In my experience, the fastest video card that still works with NFS 5 Porsche in Win98 is the Radeon X800XT/X850XT
You don't need this video card, though, unless you want to play at very high resolutions with AA & AF. Also, it should be noted that the NFS5 frametimes are all over the place even with the fastest hardware possible (game engine limitation).
Here's some graphs that I made a few months ago (tested on a Pentium Dual Core E5800 @ 3.8 GHz). You can decide which video card is best for you, depending on the resolution you want to play at.
As it can be seen, the GeForce 6600GT did not work with this game, even when using the most compatible drivers that I could find.

Attachments

• NFS5_1024x768x32.png
    Filename
    NFS5_1024x768x32.png
    File size
    41.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • NFS5_1600x1200x32.png
    Filename
    NFS5_1600x1200x32.png
    File size
    39.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 50 of 72, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I am having a strange (for me) issue with NFS5: Porsche unleashed. It will start without any issues, then at the menus it will freeze. The music keeps playing, but the mouse pointer will not move and no keyboard combination (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt+F4, etc.) will work. However, if I eject the CDROM and leave it open, there is a very high possibility that the game will resume working, however this lasts only a few minutes, then it freezes again. If I reinsert the CDROM the game may work again, but sometimes it does not. Now the technical data:

CPU: Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz
Mobo: Intel D845GEBV2
Video card: nVidia Geforce 2 MX400, driver version 45.23
Soundcard: Soudblaster Live! SB0100
OS: Windows 98SE without any patches (just DirectX updated to DX8 IIRC)

The game is installed from the original CD, it was updated to latest version 3.5 but issue persists

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 52 of 72, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-04-06, 18:22:

For 6 series nv gpu u need use glide wrapper bcus gpu is too new

Already tried that for other games (NFS2SE and POD) however I have not found a decent glide wrapper that works with DirectX 7 (max version supported by my video card). I tried dgvoodoo 1.40.and 1.50, but they crash on start. Any suggestions on which one to try?

Reply 53 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2021-04-05, 05:18:
Your issue is without a question related to the video card. A GeForce 6200 is not suitable for a Win98 build, its drivers break […]
Show full quote
rfratelli wrote on 2021-04-05, 03:57:

Your issue is without a question related to the video card. A GeForce 6200 is not suitable for a Win98 build, its drivers break compatibility with many games.
In my experience, the fastest video card that still works with NFS 5 Porsche in Win98 is the Radeon X800XT/X850XT
You don't need this video card, though, unless you want to play at very high resolutions with AA & AF. Also, it should be noted that the NFS5 frametimes are all over the place even with the fastest hardware possible (game engine limitation).
Here's some graphs that I made a few months ago (tested on a Pentium Dual Core E5800 @ 3.8 GHz). You can decide which video card is best for you, depending on the resolution you want to play at.
As it can be seen, the GeForce 6600GT did not work with this game, even when using the most compatible drivers that I could find.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah i just had this card laying around and decided to use it anyways. Worked fine under winxp!

Reply 54 of 72, by rfratelli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-04-07, 04:26:
Warlord wrote on 2021-04-06, 18:22:

For 6 series nv gpu u need use glide wrapper bcus gpu is too new

Already tried that for other games (NFS2SE and POD) however I have not found a decent glide wrapper that works with DirectX 7 (max version supported by my video card). I tried dgvoodoo 1.40.and 1.50, but they crash on start. Any suggestions on which one to try?

I'l suggest you do as i did, install winxp on it!

easy2boot is your friend. Use it to create a bootable usb.

Reply 55 of 72, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:07:

Hi!

I am having a strange (for me) issue with NFS5: Porsche unleashed. It will start without any issues, then at the menus it will freeze. The music keeps playing, but the mouse pointer will not move and no keyboard combination (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt+F4, etc.) will work. However, if I eject the CDROM and leave it open, there is a very high possibility that the game will resume working, however this lasts only a few minutes, then it freezes again. If I reinsert the CDROM the game may work again, but sometimes it does not.

I had that exact issue too and was able to solve it by using RivaTuner, creating a launch configuration for the game's executable, and setting the processor priority to "idle". Don't ask, I have no idea why it works. My configuration is totally different from yours too, except for the SB0100, nVidia driver, and DX version.

But now, for me, I can't even get the game to launch after a clean reinstall of 98SE, all the same drivers I used before. Just get a black screen for a few seconds then fast quits to desktop.

Specs
  • E6800
  • ASRock 4CoreDualSATA2 w/ 4in1 v443 I think...
  • 2x256 DDR2
  • FX5950U w/ 45.43 drivers
  • SB0100 w/ Audigy drivers

Reply 56 of 72, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VDNKh wrote on 2021-11-20, 15:07:
I had that exact issue too and was able to solve it by using RivaTuner, creating a launch configuration for the game's executabl […]
Show full quote
aha2940 wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:07:

Hi!

I am having a strange (for me) issue with NFS5: Porsche unleashed. It will start without any issues, then at the menus it will freeze. The music keeps playing, but the mouse pointer will not move and no keyboard combination (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt+F4, etc.) will work. However, if I eject the CDROM and leave it open, there is a very high possibility that the game will resume working, however this lasts only a few minutes, then it freezes again. If I reinsert the CDROM the game may work again, but sometimes it does not.

I had that exact issue too and was able to solve it by using RivaTuner, creating a launch configuration for the game's executable, and setting the processor priority to "idle". Don't ask, I have no idea why it works. My configuration is totally different from yours too, except for the SB0100, nVidia driver, and DX version.

But now, for me, I can't even get the game to launch after a clean reinstall of 98SE, all the same drivers I used before. Just get a black screen for a few seconds then fast quits to desktop.

Specs
  • E6800
  • ASRock 4CoreDualSATA2 w/ 4in1 v443 I think...
  • 2x256 DDR2
  • FX5950U w/ 45.43 drivers
  • SB0100 w/ Audigy drivers

I am having now the same issues, the only thing which helps me is to unplug something from usb. than i have control back again for few seconds, than plugging in brings it back again for few seconds and so on. looking also for a solution. the riva tuner solution helped me at the end

Reply 57 of 72, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was running NFS:Porsche on Windows 7 back when Windows 7 was current.

There is a widescreen patch as well as some other fixes to get it working on a more modern system.

The only reason I see to have an old system for that game is for Glide.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 59 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a post support cutoff update for Windows 7, critical security update or something, that I think killed NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on this laptop (C2D 965)... only had demo installed though.. it gets a lot of textures missing and the track just "brick walls" halfway through.

But NFS PU on my Compaq Armada 1750, PII-366 Rage 128 Mobility, 98SE works with DX 9.0a installed..... kinda herpy derpy jerky with a lot of cars though, due to low CPU/GPU performance. But install went from dx7 through dx8 to dx9 so earlier versions left what they left.

edit: got scam called halfway through that and forgot to say this... so NFS PU which was a bundle/budget version ran okay on DX9 on that Armada, but back in the day, I had AXP 1800 and GF3 on KT333/DDR and I was playing a boxed version of NFS PU fine on that, on 98SE... then some months after I had last played it, and probably updated detonators and mayyybe a slightly newer dx9 from the one I had, to get newer games/demos working... I tried to launch NFS PU again and it wouldn't load any more. So maybe some editions of DX9 and/or detonators between 2002 and 2005 mess it up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.