VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FMV:
Recently, I've been having quite a hard time getting certain FMVs (AVIs) to play under Windows 95. This seems to have occurred after installing Aladdin Activity Center. I know part of the reason is because my system.ini is missing the line VIDC.CVID=iccvid.drv under [drivers], but for whatever stupid reason the line is automatically deleted after every reboot and I have no idea what to do. I've removed every trace of the game, and it still does this. Does anyone possibly know a solution?

Me trying to play Boggle CD-ROM:

IMG_5704.JPG
Filename
IMG_5704.JPG
File size
884.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dithering:
A slightly less serious issue is that sometimes images/video don't dither properly to 256 colors and the result is a awful looking mess. This happens with games such as Hell Cab (mostly when an FMV is played) and Eyewitness Virtual Reality Dinosaur. It could possibly be when both 256 and high color elements are together in one screen?

Any help is much appreciated as always.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
FMV: Recently, I've been having quite a hard time getting certain FMVs (AVIs) to play under Windows 95. This seems to have occu […]
Show full quote

FMV:
Recently, I've been having quite a hard time getting certain FMVs (AVIs) to play under Windows 95.
This seems to have occurred after installing Aladdin Activity Center. I know part of the reason is because my system.ini is missing the line
VIDC.CVID=iccvid.drv under [drivers], but for whatever stupid reason the line is automatically deleted after every reboot and I have no idea what to do.
I've removed every trace of the game, and it still does this. Does anyone possibly know a solution?

I'm not certain. You could try to rename that driver file, say to iccvid2.*. Not sure if that helps, though.
Maybe someething is trying to delete everything that's "VIDC.CVID=".

thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
Dithering: A slightly less serious issue is that sometimes images/video don't dither properly to 256 colors and the result is a […]
Show full quote

Dithering:
A slightly less serious issue is that sometimes images/video don't dither properly to 256 colors and the result is a awful looking mess.
This happens with games such as Hell Cab (mostly when an FMV is played) and Eyewitness Virtual Reality Dinosaur.
It could possibly be when both 256 and high color elements are together in one screen?

Well, I've seen a few games which did mix 256 colour and high-colour elements.
I think Sonic CD for Windows 95 was one of them (FMV was in high-colour, but the game engine always dithered it to 256 colours)..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very mind boggling, indeed. Anyways, just now have I been able to get back to this and try some of the suggestions. I renamed the file, and this worked temporarily. When I go to reinstall Boggle, however, it does the line deleting again upon every boot up... I did notice a blank entry of [iccvid.drv], so I removed that and once again, it stopped auto-deleting the line temporarily, but when I go back to install Boggle or another game using that file, the line is auto deleted again...