Is Win NT 3.51 any good for gaming?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cxm717 wrote:

....It does have some large drawbacks of course like directx and dos support.

and, which are those non-directx / non-dos games should we expect to play with NT? 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 23 of 26, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NT3.51 has no directx/directdraw which is unfortunate from a games perspective.

It shipped with minimal OpenGL support (version 1.0, no texturing). I'm not sure how well it performs for doing 2D graphics.

Doing screen updates from a memory buffer with GDI seems to be pretty slow, at least with the generic VESA video driver.

WinG will install! Maybe that would be faster than GDI, although I think WinG only handled 8bpp color. Some old WinG games should work though.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 24 of 26, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, NT 3.51 had very limited hardware support compared to NT4.0...

It couldn't make full use of anything better. Only some very, very old video cards and ISA sound cards are supported, and I recall the hardware support was even worse compared to WfW 3.11 (some devices have drivers for WfW, but not NT 3.51). It's also not properly supported by virtualization solutions (VBox/VMware) as well, but I think one might be able to set up a usable one if familiar with QEMU. (An alternative for video cards called VBEMP supports NT 3.51 but it won't not provide support for 3D acceleration, only basic ones)

NT4.0 SP6, on the other hand, has much better hardware support as well as on virtualization solutions.

Reply 26 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a physical PC?
as DOS games only supported IPX and not MS's implementation of it, and this is the OS games mainly ran under during the windows 3 era.

Either flavor of Windows 3.x have very limited games, even less that support networking, and the few (if any) will be more likely to support IPX then TCP.

I do have Windows for Workgroups installed and networked with the TCP/IP 3.11b patch and it works well with the rest of my retro PC's right upto WinXP, but its used for file transfers not gaming.