VOGONS

First post, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been searching for a while if and how this can be done. I have a hard drive attached to my router, and this drive contains backup images of all my software floppies and CDs. On my Win7 and Win9x machines I use DaemonTools to mount the images. In DOS there is SHSUCD that can do the same. My DOS 7.1/WfW 3.11 pc has a DFE530TX+, mTCP and SHSUCDX so I just need a way to mount the network share to a drive letter. Can this be done? If not on it's own, then maybe by booting the Win98 machine and sharing the mounted drive from Win98 -> DOS?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your idea sounds interesting! 😀
I haven't done things like this for a while, so I can't answer your questions.
However, for the case it doesn't work, there's also a workaround:

You can run a Raspberry Pi as a "bridge between worlds".
The Linux Samba clients can usually understand both the new and old SMB versions.
In your use case, a Pi might actually be powerful enough to play the role of a server on its own.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got it wotking without using a bridge. I was missing the Microsoft Network Client for DOS. The drivers consume 135-140k conventional ram, and tcptsr alone uses 79k! Can some of them be removed from autoexec? Now for the iso files i plan to use i will have to rename them in 8.3 format 😀