VOGONS

First post, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anybody compared the floppy bootdisk images from bootdisk.com (BOOT98SC below) and allbootdisks.com (BOOT98)? I, specifically, am concerned about the Windows98_SE_No_Ramdrive images (DOS 7.1). I noted differences in several files and the bootdisk.com image is also labeled "Custom, No Ramdrive". The bootdisks.com image is what Phil (from Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube) recommended. Obviously, I'm concerned about viruses and what potential modifications were made. Has anybody run AV scans, checksums, etc. against the images? Does anybody have an original CDs/floppies/images source to compare against? Does anybody have an opinion which is better? This isn't a critique against either provider, more, I want to document differences from originals and any fixes.

Thanks all...

>diff -u /Volumes/BOOT98 /Volumes/BOOT98SC/
Common subdirectories: /Volumes/BOOT98/.fseventsd and /Volumes/BOOT98SC/.fseventsd
Binary files /Volumes/BOOT98/COMMAND.COM and /Volumes/BOOT98SC/COMMAND.COM differ
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98: DISKCOPY.COM
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98SC/: DISPLAY.SYS
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98SC/: EXTRACT.EXE
Binary files /Volumes/BOOT98/FDISK.EXE and /Volumes/BOOT98SC/FDISK.EXE differ
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98SC/: FIND.EXE
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98SC/: IEXTRACT.EXE
Binary files /Volumes/BOOT98/IO.SYS and /Volumes/BOOT98SC/IO.SYS differ
Only in /Volumes/BOOT98: MTMCDAI.SYS
Binary files /Volumes/BOOT98/XCOPY32.MOD and /Volumes/BOOT98SC/XCOPY32.MOD differ

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this subforum is for DOS games on *modern systems*, not period hardware and OSs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So that's my actual end goal. DOS on VirtualBox and modern hardware. But thanks for keeping me on topic.

collector wrote:

Note that this subforum is for DOS games on *modern systems*, not period hardware and OSs.

Reply 3 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Marvin is a better match for the time being. Moved.

If you're going to make a post about VirtualBox, "PC Emulation" subforum is where you want to be.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No need to worry about improper customizations or virus issues. Bootdisk.com images are customized for users own comfort, nothing else. The same site also unaltered versions of the same boot floppy images, you can use them too, if you want. I used them numerous times without any ill effects.

Now I'm using my own "altered" images for booting, and I suggest you to do the same.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000