VOGONS

Reply 140 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some research, some people is reporting, that on X58 is NVME booting fine, even without that Clover /Duet workaround bootloaders.. There is only PCI-E gen 2 so max theoreticall speed is 2000 MB/s in reality people claims 1600 MB/s but its still big boost in comparision with on board Sata 3Gb/s, so it make more sense than Sata 6 Gb/s, if you already sacrifice one PCI-E slot.
Maybe, maybe we will even able to boot XP from NVME with it, Dietmar is working on X79 NVME XP boot and its very close to X58.

Otherwise X79. look more and more promising, i will test it, i already ordered some old machine with it, there are lots speed / features improvement in comparision with X58, manual components diagram looks same as for X58, so X79 sound card can work.. Only problem is only 1 PCI slot, dont know if there are PCI slots extenders for more slots and there would work for sound card, if yes it would be very nice..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 141 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to solve last major problem and it is make space for 2 dual slots gpus, because my Win98/DOS Radeon X800 is dual slot too, if not want some noisy one - 1 slot and how slots are occupied.. Second solution would be some 1 slot heating with some block above card or after card, but so far.. I didnt find any with right holes dimmensions - 53x23.

So i have to used 4x open PCI orange slot for some card and there is problem, designers not count with such setup so there is MB cooler in the way, i would have to cut piece of it, or replace it.. I dunno if there is only cover, or some heatpipe under it.. I would have to remove MB and do the job. It would need small cut, i cut also that PCI-E gpu holding lock which is longer that slot, or long cut if i will not want what mutilate the card.

1053.jpg
Filename
1053.jpg
File size
117.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There is also almost same Gigabyte MB (GA-EX58-UD4), with different smaller heatink, which doesnt have such problem..

1071.jpg
Filename
1071.jpg
File size
74.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Other problem is some metal cuttter, i bought Dremel 3000 tool for it, but that included metal cutting disc is very bad, i tried to cut some videocard output and it the middle blade was done, i would need other some batter blade - recommendation welcomed.. Or i would have use some metal hand saw..

I already have some Geforce 960 for testing, Geforce 980 TI on the way (too noisy for final solution but for testing fine), i should have target 970, but i ordered some used 1070, to have some 970 spared from other rig, but i send money to some trickster.. and now waiting if police will solve it or.

Otherwise 1 slot water cooling block for 1 or 2 cards, is still solution but i want would rather to bypass it at least for now.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 142 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got GA-EX58-UD4P as backup - i didnt monitor temperatures on OS level, overclock etc.. from touchpach even without 3D, just hour of using in OS, heatsinks are quite hot, so it make for this platform use these big heatsink which some MBs have.
Im still preparing for that cutting heatsink with my main board, but i worst case scenarion i will use heatinks from this MB on main one.

I bough it with some Engineering some Core i7, dunno if it is because is Core 7 or ES, but with it is possible setup Memory speed regardless of BLCK.. what is nice, but its not any victory because this Core i7 960 is much slower that my present Xeon..

Reply 143 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vmware has finally better SB FM+FX supports, so i added collumn for its testing to my sheet. It is good has to have more alternative to Dosbox and PCem.. Its not primary gaming oriented, but lots of things are working for "proper" programs compatibility, networking is working better than with real dos Machines, you dont need additional HW, space etc..
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKadO … of=true&sd=true // Collumn At the end at least now..

Details are here:
VMware DOS sound improved.. now is finally possible to play FX + FM together!

Last edited by ruthan on 2023-05-31, 08:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 144 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After long time my demos a shareware etc.. games package for Dos sound testing is online in Vogons Library:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1572

~2/3 of games (110) from my testing sheet is inside, list of demos is in:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKadO … of=true&sd=true // first list columns B+C

Last edited by ruthan on 2023-05-31, 08:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 145 of 210, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know if this is useful for your spreadsheet or not
Windows 9x-10 build for game compatibility testing

I'm investigating sound cards right now currently only have the Audigy 2 and the Realtek in this system.

Looks like Windows 10 1903 kills the Audigy 2 or at least makes it very flakey. Took me forever to get it working and then it stopped working again. Supposedly using the Audigy RX drivers gets it working.....yes...until it doesn't....
So I'm using the Realtek in Windows 10 and the Audigy for everything else, not much of a loss there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 146 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its different thing, but its shame that Creative doesnt support it properly.. Otherwise what are advantages of Audigy 2 in comparision with Realtek? Im not sound guy so in general Realtek HD sound is good enough for me. Does on that system Audigy working with Win98, or its too old OS for that HW?
Im suing Yamaha 7x4 / Aureal V1/V2 for DOS /Win9x + Realtek HD for everything else.. in theory Audigy V2 could be better for Win9x i you have multiple PCI slots and dont mind somehow handle 3 sound cards switching.. I tested Audigies in my sheet and for Dos its worse than Yamahas and Aureals..

Reply 147 of 210, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Its different thing, but its shame that Creative doesnt support it properly.. Otherwise what are advantages of Audigy 2 in comparision with Realtek? Im not sound guy so in general Realtek HD sound is good enough for me. Does on that system Audigy working with Win98, or its too old OS for that HW?
Im suing Yamaha 7x4 / Aureal V1/V2 for DOS /Win9x + Realtek HD for everything else.. in theory Audigy V2 could be better for Win9x i you have multiple PCI slots and dont mind somehow handle 3 sound cards switching.. I tested Audigies in my sheet and for Dos its worse than Yamahas and Aureals..

Audigy drivers have issues with 64-bit addressing and caused issues with systems having more than 4GB RAM a long time ago, namely with microphones. That was when Windows Vista/7 was mainstream.

I'm not sure what changes could have caused Windows 1903 to break the drivers even further as I never used 1903 nor ever used any Windows 10 versions with an Audigy. But Windows 10 is getting increasingly complicated that I sincerely don't want to use it unless there are something that really required it (namely online games and some other programs that don't work well with Wine).

Reply 148 of 210, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dunno if it's an issue of Win10 getting increasingly complicated or just that one can't expect legacy hardware and drivers be supported forever. My motto has always been putting contemporary OS and hardware together. When the software-hardware gap is too big, problems start piling up.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 149 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fastest way to "fix" some legacy support for developer, is just say that users not need it.. so they removed in some version of Windows 10 whole agp support and i dunno what next.

Windows 10 make only if really need - some fancy Windows-Linux support scripting, DX 12 (but there some discussions about backport it finally to DX7, WoW did something like that already),Freesynch (G-Synch is has Win7 support), UWP only Microsoft game like Gears of War 4+5, Forza, Control etc.. there is not much of them, but you cant play them in Win7 + work around is get Xbox one.

Reply 150 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After long time - i added some long time accumulated changes to drivers and config package in first patch - again search for euro - to find them quickly in wall of text..

Changelog:

Configs:
- Removed Debug preffix from EMS/ NOEMS IRQ7 branches, it was rellict from the past.
- i allocated more memory for env. variable before Win98 or Win Safe mode start through:
SHELL=C:\Drivers\Command.com /p /E:2048
Because otherwise i saw on some machine, message out of enviroment space message during Win98 boot.
- i finnaly added DOS HDD speed enhancer (HDDenhancer block) - UDMA folder, there are zillions of options, i used some basic, there are also some CD/DVD ROM enhancers in thepackage:
DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\UDMA\XHDD.SYS /S10 /H /O /P
- Some enhancement of Creative\SB16 drivers, at least with some cards, i needed
also some driver in config, i part of this package uploaded by Gerwin:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=630&menustate=0
In config is now, REM line for it.. which needs to be unRemed if you have
such card..
DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\CREATIVE\SB16\CTCM.EXE

Drivers and tools:
- MSKVBEF7 Fix from FalcoSoft for Nvidia 6xx-10xx cards for DOS, fix at at least Quake, Blood and Duke3D blinking:
Re: NVIDIA Kepler/MaxWell/Pascal VESA Bios Bug (Please, participate since more data needed)
- I added mtrrlf15.exe new testing version of Rayers videocards enhancer, it would be faster for some newer cards, because older version had bug, so not worked with some cards.
- added starting batch for Yamahas and slightly enhance these for Aureals
- Added more Realtek Dos Network drivers.
- Yamaha info.txt added more info.
- added ymDigOut.exe to Yamaha directory is Digital output enabler for DOS from Rayers for Yamahas7xx, i has to be run before DSDMA.exe
- Added NOLFBLIM to own directory, Enables VSYNC for DOS Games
More info NOLFBLIM (updated NOLFB) - Enables VSYNC for DOS Games
- Upgraded SetMul to newes 1.2.3:
SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86
- Added SB16 driver and config lines with are working with PCem v15 MS-DOS SB16, original driver moved to SB16ALT folder.
I removed some Win only files, which are not necessarry for DOS.
- Added SCSI folder with Adaptec1542 SCSI controller drivers, i controller supported by PCem emulator.
- Trim for Dos by Rloew(RIP) now in public domain.
- Vesa directory contains some Dos Vesa drivers
- I added VBE15bpp(into directory with same name) converts any VESA VBE 16bpp modes into 15bpp modes.
- VBEPlus (into directory with same name) is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) program that adds new VESA resolutions to your video card. The resolutions it adds are fully user configurable.
- Phils Dosbench enhanced byt Q2DOS demo for benchmarking. It has ~70MB, so if has problems with space delete (Dosbench\Marks\Q2DOSDEM).

Reply 151 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally had possiblity to test X58 + Core i7 and unlike for Xeons you can set RAM speed indendently on CPu clock, BCLK. So Core i7 are better for this platform you want to squeeze more performance from it.

Reply 152 of 210, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2019-09-30, 09:39:
After long time my demos a shareware etc.. games package for Dos sound testing is online in Vogons Library: http://www.vogonsdri […]
Show full quote

After long time my demos a shareware etc.. games package for Dos sound testing is online in Vogons Library:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1572

~2/3 of games (110) from my testing sheet is inside, list of demos is in:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 04bf92a9209e034 // first list columns B+C

This is absolutely great! I recently discovered this thread and the fascinating autoexec.bat and config.sys plus drivers folder. And now a the shareware dos pack so I can test some PCI sound cards I have.
I found really difficult to comprehen the main posts as english is not your main language (mine neither), and found all this lacking instructions, but all in all, it seems you have put a lot of work on this and it deserves praise. I tip my hat to you!
Some questions:
1. I only have 2 PCI sound cards: SB Live! from some OEM and an AUREAL VORTEX ADVANTAGE AU8810 with a AU10DOS.COM file that I will test later. Could you incorporate the files if I confirm its working?
2. Im really struggling to understand what changes I have to make to your autoexec.bat and config.sys as I only have MS-DOS 6.22 on my machines

Reply 153 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general if you dont understand to some sentence just ask, its only way to fix it.. In general i doing such errors in writting regardless you used language (some write wiring in my brain for that), i would have to recheck everything and im lazy to do it..
1) It depends on which level, i can add so files to package its easily, add them to all config branches need more time, but i can do it, if you will test it.
2) There is chapter for it - "MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier adjustments" There is limitation in path max length - 128 characters and change all C:\Windows pathes to C:\DOS or your DOS directory name. If you find anything else let me know..

Reply 154 of 210, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-04-22, 03:50:

In general if you dont understand to some sentence just ask, its only way to fix it.. In general i doing such errors in writting regardless you used language (some write wiring in my brain for that), i would have to recheck everything and im lazy to do it..
1) It depends on which level, i can add so files to package its easily, add them to all config branches need more time, but i can do it, if you will test it.
2) There is chapter for it - "MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier adjustments" There is limitation in path max length - 128 characters and change all C:\Windows pathes to C:\DOS or your DOS directory name. If you find anything else let me know..

Super fast reply. Excellent. Will try. Thank you!
EDIT: I missed this:

MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier adjustments: - list of MS-DOS 6.22 and 7.1 difference - not replace msdos.sys, its Win98-MS-DoS 7.1+ onl […]
Show full quote

MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier adjustments:
- list of MS-DOS 6.22 and 7.1 difference
- not replace msdos.sys, its Win98-MS-DoS 7.1+ only
- im not quite sure, but branching is first time supported in MS-DOS 6.0 or something like that..
- change first entry (C:\Windows) in path to C:\DOS or other directory where you have installed DOS
- find and replace config entry FILESHIGH and BUFFERSHIGH to FILES and BUFFERS , HIGH is not supported on Dos 6.22 and earlier

Reply 155 of 210, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi ruthan,

Not sure if you are interested, but I have written a small utility that is able to throttle Core 2 CPUs (among others) under EMS. It's over here. Never tested on X58 chipset though (I do not have one).

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 156 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
sure im will check it, i will add it to my new drviers and tools package with link, on only can say when i will release it, because other stuff.

Reply 157 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Otherwise here is my Win98 demos pack - 170+ games ~ 15 GB of Win98 goodness, nice for testing both of HW and games before buying you dont know them. Demos are nice, because they dont need any CDs in handling, doesnt need too much space, dont have any annoying copy protections etc..
https://www.win-raid.com/t6017f53-Windows-SE- … .html#msg113685

Reply 158 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im on good way to make on Z390 working
WinXP, Win7,Win10 + Linux (5 distro should be enough for every one) + Mac OS.. and i hope that Windows 98 at least within KVM (i have not PCI slot and so on physical it would be possible only with USB audio or which some lousy PCI-E to PCI adapter and even that it would be only for Win98, without Dos sound).

But Sata + USB controllers compatibility is really nightmare to make them working with all OSes, there is always something.. whole problem is mainly because of Windows XP (most problematic platform). Intel USB3 has no official drivers, only community one - which is working just for keyboard and mass storage, 3rd party USB3 controllers drivers never were too good espcialy with WinXP, but i had issues with Win10 with them too - maybe with exception Asmedia - i have 1 on the way.

Now i suffer with VIA USB3 , NEC was worse - in XP, main devices are working, but some secondary like Xbox 360 controller, Bluetooth etc are not - maybe because there is also some USB hub in the way, VIA is not also working during MacOS setup and im not sure if there is some MacOS driver for it, i know that Asmedia has one. I want to reach the state, when i will not have to reconnect anything based on selected OS, just select right bios profile (right main GPU) and maybe monitor input - if HDMI autoswitching will not working.

Sata controllers problem too, are fine with Windows - i had Marvel, but it has problem with Linux - at least with Solus Linux it needs special boot parameters, otherwise boot is very slow - minutes and it doesnt see my discs. Now i enable KVM with Mint through intel_iommu=on kernel parameter and met same problem, so i used Asmedia Sata - which booting slowly too, but it least after that see connected devices.
Only real reason for use additional Sata controller is actually to make GPT disks readable within Windows XP, which is not working with Intel controller + Paragon GPT driver - i reported it ~5 years ago and they never fix it.

Im now messing with NVME with my old XP install, with clean its working.. but i can live without it, after that i have 2 main things to go - make Mac OS working with Z390, i hope that with older install and Linux KVM.. after that i will 2 GPus for Win98 and WinXP and all would be great - i hope.

Reply 159 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MacOS 10.13.6 its working nice with Z390 + Geforce 1070, later MacOS have not Nvidia drivers, because there are not Macs with Nvida hardware for long time and Nvidia not care about old Mac Pro with replaceable HW.