Config files overhaul lots of new features - QEMM support, 5 different Audiocards drivers possibilities selection in all branches selection just by set 1 variable in autoexec header (Creative, Yamaha, Aureal V1+V2,ESS Solo-1), SHSUCDX and its virtual cd driver ready to use.. Drivers and utils package to supplement config files.. to make it almost copy and run.. Every line commented, long guide for EMS problem solving and tuning.
- my ultimate branched config - 9 Dos configuration branches (+ others could be enabled, but you have to disable some now enable, 9 enabled branches is max.):
a) First 2 are Windows 98 boot and Windows 98 safe mode boot,
b) EMS(HimemX (or burnmem+Himem.sys) + emm386.exe RAM),
c) NOEMS (HimemX (or burnmem) + EMM386.EXE noems),
d) Realmode (HimemX/ burnmem loaded, no EMS loaded) no sound because Yamaha TSR - DMA driver requiring EMS/NOEMS) / same for Creative SB for Audigy/!Live
e) Protection mode (no Himem, no EMS) , no sound because Yamaha TSR - DMA driver requiring EMS/NOEMS) / same for Creative SB for Audigy/!Live
f) 4 items are debugs for testing games with / without Sound / CD-ROM/ Smart-Drive/ driver loaded and two with SB IRQ 7 - because it matters, are also UMPCI mode (no Yamaha /Creative sound) and JEMM386 mode, EMEX mode and two QEMMU modes. JEMM and JEMM386 not working for my machine with Yamaha DSDMA.exe which is needed on new chipsets for Sound, so no sound.
- every used variable and lines are commented!, when is some line firstly used, its any other config files on internet you have to searching on internet.. IF you want to clean code only just remove all lines with starting REM or @REM with some inteligent text replacing utility.
Config supports 5 different Audio drivers for all branches - there are options for Yamaha 72x/74x (up to X58 and H67). Creative cards - !Live/Audigy DOS/Win98 compatible cards for up to i865 chipsets, ESS Solo-1 (it work somewhere up to i865), Aureal Vortex 1 and 2 (there are working on new chipsets too, at least up toX58).
- Change sound card driver is very easy, just set value on my variable at the top of autoexec.bat and change is used for all branches with support sound on particular card!
- There is also possibility to select CD-ROM handler for all branches for CD-ROM, you can select betwen MSCDEX(conventional mem eater) and SHSUCDX - less memory and there is added even virtual CD drive ready to use, just replace iso file, once again, all of these could be changed by 1 parameter at top of autoexec.bat.
1) i dont have burnemem.sys documentation so my magic value for 32MB of dos Ram not working everywhere, alternative is disable burnmem.sys and himem.sys lines and enable himemX as alternative, i compatibility is same..
2) On some machine you have problem with default EMS - EMM386.exe RAM setting, it simply not working on some machine, it give you in front magic variable with are working on every machine, but in config is very long guide how to fix it and squeeze maximal amount of conventional memory for every machine..
3) There some reported error in Config.sys Common block with some optimal lang. setting, i dont know where is problem, but its minor..
4) First CD-ROM letter is hardcoded to E, because SHSUCDX otherwise using A and B letters, if they are free. To change it replace all /L:E for MSCDEX and SUSHCDX
5) SET PATH is ok for MS-DOS 7.1 (up to 260 lettters), but is too long for 6.22- 126 letter you have to some deletion
Drivers /utils package to support config files
- i created Drivers package to just copy files to target machine and make it working. All drivers have to be copied to C:\Drivers all pathes and ini files are set to this directory - you use change it by mass replace in package by search this string by some multiple text files replace utility.
I cant include MS files, which are described in !AddFile.txt in driver root, as EMM386,MSCDEX etc.. all of these should be also copied to C:\Drivers directory to make package maximaly portable, because people are using different patches and version of WIndows and DOS etc. Some is with other licenced tools like QEMM etc..config files are ready to use it.
Download: // last version: 20180724-2
Drivers / Utils Package contains these items:
- Pure Dos Audio drivers for all cards mentioned above
- CPUcache - for slowdown
- Dos32A extender, which you could try when you have problems with game which is using DOS4GW
- Doskey - commaline with autocompletion and memory
- FW - advanced File Wizzard
- JEMM / JEMMEX alterantive memory manager to EMM386 from Freedos
- RunTE200 - it could fix some game executable files with Runtime error 200 (pascal)
- SHSUCDX - CD rom handler and virtual cd rom driver and imaging utility
- SpeedSys - HW monitoring benchmarking utility
- UMBPCI - alternative memory driver / manager
- Burnmem.sys for limiting max memory for pure Dos to fix too much RAM problems
- CTMouse - freedos mouse utility, less memory used, more options
- 3 different CD ROM drivers for physical CD-ROM, because so not working with some drivers, chipset.. sata included, just enable / disable specific line in CDROM block of config.sys its aplied to all branches
- HimemX - to limit max RAM for pure to burnemem.sys + himem.sys alternative.. now its used only for Win9x branches, you can use it for pure DOS, just by comment and uncomemnt 3 lines.
- CHKCPU - cpu info utility up to 2016
- Memory usage detail utility - good to debug
- MTRRLFBE - videocard speedup utility for DOS.
- Rawspeed - Rayers utility to measure disk speed
- Serren - Rayers utility to enable some magic to make Creative card working on some chipsets
- Setmul - utility to enable / disable cpu cache, very good slow down utility, disable L1 could give you something like slow 486 speed on X58
- Shutdown - shutdown / reset from commandline
- Slowdos - slowdown utility, where you can set speed my very small steps
- Udma - driver to speed up files transfers, config is ready for it, just uncomment it if you have enough conventional memory
Download: // last version: 20180724-2
Licence thing - if you own right on something in package or know about some licence problems with included utility, just write me PM i will remove it.
I dont mind add support for more PCI sound cards when you will give best drivers for dos and autoexec/config lines.. I dont want to add ISA cards support, to keep reasonable scope, this project and huge config make more sense for modern machines.
Disclaimer: I never was expert if these things, but its helping me, so it could help someone too. I dont have supported audio cards, so some testing is needed. Any practical edit notes are welcome.
All of these added to first post, i have to move not working games to second post because of post characters limit.
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.