Retro OSes for retro computers

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 262, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:
gwe2.png

Ran Geoworks Ensemble Pro 1.2 in along with DRDos 6.0 on my first 286/16.

My first experience with a GUI was on Geoworks.
My father's 286 had it, and we used it to access AOL in the early 90s.
I'm tempted to use it on my 386 build!

Reply 141 of 262, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:
My first experience with a GUI was on Geoworks. My father's 286 had it, and we used it to access AOL in the early 90s. I'm tempt […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:
gwe2.png

Ran Geoworks Ensemble Pro 1.2 in along with DRDos 6.0 on my first 286/16.

My first experience with a GUI was on Geoworks.
My father's 286 had it, and we used it to access AOL in the early 90s.
I'm tempted to use it on my 386 build!

Bread Box Ensemble should run well. It has a few more applications and enhancements than 1.x The default user interface is a win95 like set up but you can switch it to the Motif UI in Preferences easy enough.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 142 of 262, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've acquired a stash of old 3.5" floppies with "backup" 😁 copies of different 90's software.

Among them is OS/2 2.0 - what kind of hardware it's best to be run on? I'd like to test it but don't want to spend time installing on something where it doesn't run properly...

Last edited by Badscrew on 2019-10-18, 20:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 143 of 262, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ignore the system requirements on the box as usual. At least a 386DX33-486SX25 with 16 megs of ram with a generic VGA card to start off. OS/2.* is actually slower than v3 believe it or not. Try and get a CD copy though. Installing from floppy is no fun at all especially when you get near the end and find the second to last disk is damaged in some way. Do not use Windows 9x up of any kind to try and varefy the disks are ok. Corruption usually ensues.

Reply 145 of 262, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

I Installed 98lite MIcro with no additional components on my 486 and it ran pretty well. ran better than 95.

Cool. Yeah all that IE garbage drags win98 down alright.

Reply 146 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Ignore the system requirements on the box as usual. At least a 386DX33-486SX25 with 16 megs of ram with a generic VGA card to start off. OS/2.* is actually slower than v3 believe it or not. Try and get a CD copy though. Installing from floppy is no fun at all especially when you get near the end and find the second to last disk is damaged in some way. Do not use Windows 9x up of any kind to try and varefy the disks are ok. Corruption usually ensues.

Back in 1995 I bought the 3.5" floppy Student version of OS/2 Warp 3 Connect with Bonus Pak and it was in total 40+ disks or something. (Re)Installing the OS was no fun, I'll tell you that. The OS itself was from the future though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 148 of 262, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote:

The 2.0 is much smaller 😀

I've got a boxed copy of Warp v3 upgrade for OS/2 v2.* Basically just v3 really. Glad I've got the CD copies of v3 up. It makes life a lot easier if you want to have a play around on real hardware.

Reply 149 of 262, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unpatched OS/2 2.0 is a bit of a nightmare. It has a load of bugs and is still running the 16 bit GDI. The large service pack improved things somewhat.

If you must run 2.0, try a 486 with a least 8MB RAM. Cirrus Logic worked fine in OS/2 2.1. It also won't like large disks at that point without patching in later drivers.

You're best using at least OS/2 Warp 3, or Arca OS if you want an easy life, ideally in a VM. After all, there is no accelerated 3D graphics, the standard sound support should be fine, and the less than common options for TV capture/watching (terrestrial, now useless as it's now all DTV at least in the UK) and MPEG 1 acceleration aren't up to modern standards.

I have two OS/2 systems - a P2 300 running a heavily patched Warp 4, and a physically hacked Xeon server running Arca OS including dual monitor support! The dual monitor support turns out to be more irritating than useful, because games such as Galactic Civilisations 2 spread themselves out across both monitors and look awful.

Reply 150 of 262, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi ynari. I've created bascaly an OS/2 related thread. It would be great to see your insite on that thanks. Link Fun n games with OS/2

Reply 151 of 262, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a version of QNX RTP 6.0 that works fine on my Tecra 500CDT, albeit without sound and no pcmcia network either, so I played silent Doom:

tecra500-qnx6-doom.jpg
Filename
tecra500-qnx6-doom.jpg
File size
79.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
tecra500-qnx6-repo.jpg
Filename
tecra500-qnx6-repo.jpg
File size
97.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Having the software repository on CD is useful, and no, Quake 3 is not playable as it requires a 3dfx card.
I'll share those versions in the near future, 6.0 and 6.1, that can be installed on their own partition or as loopback filesystem under Windows 9x in FAT16/32.
Not sure if the later versions can be installed this way or not...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 152 of 262, by North_Computers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The older versions of BeOS are essentially abandonware and are fair game. I'm sure Gasee, the Fearless Leader, wouldn't mind 😀

The only issue with BeOS is that it required at least a pentium to run. But it ran very well on a P-100MHz. There was also a PowerPC version.

Reply 153 of 262, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
North_Computers wrote on 2019-12-31, 21:28:

The older versions of BeOS are essentially abandonware and are fair game. I'm sure Gasee, the Fearless Leader, wouldn't mind 😀

The only issue with BeOS is that it required at least a pentium to run. But it ran very well on a P-100MHz. There was also a PowerPC version.

Maybe JLG wouldn't mind, but abandonware is a legally dubious claim for anything so don't share links to retail versions of software here, thanks.
I posted various BeOS demo discs and LiveCD on page 2 of this thread:
Re: Retro OSes for retro computers

Reply 154 of 262, by North_Computers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2019-06-11, 09:16:

Just installed SCO Open Desktop to emulator. This system runs smoothly on Pentium 66 and 8 megs RAM. But installation is a very long process (more than 40 floppies!).
Here's how it look likes:20190611_113929.png

Where could one get SCO Open Desktop?

Reply 156 of 262, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2019-12-31, 21:43:

Just read lolo799's post again and don't ask for whatever you consider abandonware. It's not allowed here.

Exactly, and I stated as much in the first post of my thread, just to avoid any confusion.

Reply 157 of 262, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
North_Computers wrote on 2019-12-31, 21:40:
ArtiomWin wrote on 2019-06-11, 09:16:

Just installed SCO Open Desktop to emulator. This system runs smoothly on Pentium 66 and 8 megs RAM. But installation is a very long process (more than 40 floppies!).
Here's how it look likes:20190611_113929.png

Where could one get SCO Open Desktop?

Just google SCO UNIX. The large archive (about 50 MB) is actually floppy version of SCO Open Desktop 3.0.

Last edited by ArtiomWin on 2020-01-03, 21:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 159 of 262, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-01-03, 21:33:

ArtiomWin, can you please edit your post to remove the link and the name of the file, I don't want my thread to be closed or removed due to those, thank you.

No problem. I've just tried to help to find system from screen, and not intended to advertize repositories.