Older hdd imaging software

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Ghost is pretty good. The only weakness is the anemic networking support (depends on what's built into the DOS boot disk).

Which is why you should use the one above instead, it supports nearly every network interface you can think of, except for the parallel port ones.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 21 of 24, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Ghost is pretty good. The only weakness is the anemic networking support (depends on what's built into the DOS boot disk).

I always install an extra HDD (or a CF card) in my retro systems just for storing ghost partition images (my systems are almost always multiboot) of the same system. Then I can back them up to any computer/external HDD that I connected to the home network by using "more conventional networking methods" like Windows 3.11 or Windows 9x or Windows 2000 that has been already installed in the same system. One copy is ready to use in the system and one copy in another place for backup. Safe and practical. And probably much easier than dealing with console commands and Unix style device names. 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 22 of 24, by mirando_flynn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem looking for old disk imaging software. After many test and issues I ended using the simplest solution: 7zip. It is fast (there is 0 compression), portable (DOS, Win9x, Win10, Linux, macOS, etc) and most important it is easy to check what's inside, eg. just to get one file like autoexec.bat. You can do the backup straight on the machine with a floppy or by card reader on modern PC and it will work cross platform.

My routine is:
1. install Win98,
2. 7zip WINDOWS and Program Files folders (or whole C: drive),
3. install drivers, software, etc,
4. when something goes wrong, delete WINDOWS and Program Files folders and extract them from backup
5. repeat from 3

Reply 24 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the Partition-Saving home page
http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/en/index.html

Download page
http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/en/telechargement.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//