VOGONS

CuteMouse not working properly

Topic actions

First post, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i got some problems with CuteMouse driver for ps/2 mouse.
I tried CuteMouse latest v2.1 beta 4 and older v1.9.1 from official cutemouse website using DOS 7.1 from Windows98 and IBM DOS7 with same result.
Mouse is once per few DOS boots starting to go crazy, cursor is jumping on screen and clicking left and right button randomly.

IT never failed at windows 98 mode. Problem is only in DOS.
My spec is Dell gx1, Pentium 2 266mhz. Do i need to found another mouse driver?

Reply 1 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dragonkn wrote:

Do i need to found another mouse driver?

Hmm.. Hard to say. CuteMouse often works, but some systems may don't like it (I had some MediaGX chipset that didn't like it).
Also, Windows 2.03 doesn't seem to like CuteMouse lurking around. If CT is loaded, it crashs or the mouse pointer goes away.
For testing, I recommend this mouse driver. It often worked for me when other drivers failed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 25, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can confirm that MediaGXm chipsets have issues with CuteMouse 1.9 and 2.1, giving delays in some software. 2.0 seems to work without issues though, it bypasses the BIOS. You can try that, and perhaps try out a different mouse to see if that helps.

YouTube

Reply 3 of 25, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried Cute Mouse 2.0 and once per few boots there is freeze on loading driver.
I will pass Cutemouse and search for very light another driver. I will report back if i found something good.
EDIT. PROBLEM SOLVED
I downloaded A4Tech driver , its only 7kb on memory and working ok! It's from 1990 for ps/2 mouse.

Reply 5 of 25, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A4mouse Mouse Version 5.01
Copyright (C) A_FOUR_TECH Corp. Ltd. 1988 - 1990 All Rights Reserved.

Edit
A4Mouse is unusable... sensitivity is way too low... I'm Using some 1988 Microsoft driver. 10kb in ram memory is i think too much for my build. Anyone can give me idea about some ( not ctmouse) driver that's use 3-7kb?

Reply 6 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's another mouse driver to try. ~4KB, I think.
Hope it works for you! Good luck! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    pmouse.zip
    File size
    3.31 KiB
    Downloads
    1040 downloads
    File comment
    Mouse driver (DOS, 4KB)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 25, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is 1kb smaller than ctmouse.exe 😀

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 9 of 25, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2018-10-28, 14:00:

Hope it works for you! Good luck! 😀

This driver worked to solve my issues with CTmouse misbehaving with some games also. Solved the problem and even loaded high- gravy on top of its already small footprint.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 10 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About two dozen games I tried absolutely hated CTMouse including Cruise for a Corpse, Jagged Alliance, etc. so to me, it's all about having options - a good boot menu lets you have several options and CTMOUSE can be unloaded from memory if a game acts up. I'll need to try PMOUSE though - see if it's as compatible as the standard Microsoft Mouse drivers.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 11 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. CuteMouse is surely nice to have, but some older programs may prefer, say, MS-Mouse 6.24BZ (Win 2.x) or MS-Mouse 9.0.
The latter is a memory hog but solved latency issues and jerky mouse movement. It also added features, like graphical mouse cursors and such.
In the past, I used to use GMouse, which was the Genius Mouse driver. But this was on a 286 system were I didn't load smartdrive,
so my free memory was a bit below 600KB (~560-580KB ?) which most programs could still work with.
These days however, things might be different. Stuff like MTCP and network card drivers also require some memory.

JoeCorrado wrote on 2020-03-12, 04:24:
Jo22 wrote on 2018-10-28, 14:00:

Hope it works for you! Good luck! :)

This driver worked to solve my issues with CTmouse misbehaving with some games also. Solved the problem and even loaded high- gravy on top of its already small footprint.

I'm glad it works and that I could help. ^_^

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-03-18, 01:18:

Stuff like MTCP and network card drivers also require some memory.

Everything network I tie to a BAT file. I simply have to type NETWORK and everything for MTCP is loaded including the drivers for my 3COM Etherlink III card. Then I type FTP and up goes FTP server to transfer files. Even with Microsoft Mouse driver, CD ROM & sound, I have 590k left for games.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 16 of 25, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mTCP is a set of programs - they take no memory unless they are actively loaded and running ...

Packet drivers take a few KB of space. They have the code for talking to your Ethernet device. They don't have any buffers or TCP/IP in them so their memory footprint is very minimal.

Reply 18 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-03-18, 01:18:
[..] In the past, I used to use GMouse, which was the Genius Mouse driver. But this was on a 286 system were I didn't load smart […]
Show full quote

[..]
In the past, I used to use GMouse, which was the Genius Mouse driver. But this was on a 286 system were I didn't load smartdrive,
so my free memory was a bit below 600KB (~560-580KB ?) which most programs could still work with.
These days however, things might be different. Stuff like MTCP and network card drivers also require some memory.

Huh, seems I touched a raw nerve. Sorry then. Well, I was pointing out that things may be different now. 😀
I was working entirely on the assumption that the demand for more hardware/drivers has increased since then, rather than decreased.
Things like VESA VBE TSRs, CD-ROM drivers, Anti-Virus TSRs, network stacks, ZIP drive drivers, radio-clock drivers etc. were a peculiarity in 286 days.
So it made sense to me to name the network stack as one example here, especially since we're living in an always-on digital age.
Furthermore, I proceeded from the assumption that in reality, a network stack is one of the things that is left running at all time.

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 25, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the problem ... mTCP doesn't leave a network stack in memory.

Go run chkdsk to see your available memory, load a packet driver, and the run checkdsk again. You'll see a few kilobytes of RAM being used. That's it. It's just the code needed to send or receive packets. No buffers or networking code at all.

If you run a WATTCP or mTCP program the program includes all of the networking code that it needs. When the program ends, the memory is released. Nothing stays resident.

The networking stacks that work like TSRs (Microsoft, Trumpet) stay resident, leaving the network stack in memory. Which allows them to work in the background, but also consumes a lot more RAM. mTCP has never been designed like that, hence the correction.