VOGONS

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, have any experience this problem, I'm running Sam & Max (if you haven't recognized it in the screenshot) and randomly the program terminates and get a stack register dump, Sam & Max runs in DOS protected mode (DOS/4WG).

Other specs are:
Happens either booting from a floppy or booting Windows 95 first then rebooting into DOS real mode (Not DOS box)
Computer is interesting a Cyrix 486 DLC 40Mhz with math coprocessor, 32Mb and Opti SLC chipset., Diamond Speedstar ISA, SCSI drives and of course Turtle Beach sound card, but I don't think is that hardware related, BIOS settings perhaps ?

34648c5.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. Does it also happen if EMM386/QEMM/etc. is not loaded ? 😕

Edit: Maybe unreleated, bui Phil has some Cyrix utilities on his page.
Maybe changing cache/register settings helps.
His page is available at https://www.philscomputerlab.com/

Edit: Here's the Cyrix part of the page (these modern menues can be quite confusing! 😅)
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/cyrix-486dlc.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it also happen if you use one of the alternate DOS extenders? DOS/4G(W) programs never were the epitome of stability (crashes are quite common), and it's possible to replace the extender by something else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/4G

Reply 3 of 4, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, I will check your suggestions, I've been playing DOTT flawlessly in the samemachine however I don't remember if that game uses protected runtime, I will check when I get back home, I also was suspecting on the Cyrix internal cache, and I've even replaced a BB (quite rare) version of the DLC for a AB. Oh well I think I'm having this same issue, I was wondering if anyone using a Cyrix DLC/SLC had reliably run stuff in DOS/4WG mode
386 crashes a lot (restarts) when playing certain games - Help!

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 4 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

Thanks guys, I will check your suggestions, I've been playing DOTT flawlessly in the samemachine however I don't remember if that game uses protected runtime, I will check when I get back home, I also was suspecting on the Cyrix internal cache, and I've even replaced a BB (quite rare) version of the DLC for a AB. Oh well I think I'm having this same issue, I was wondering if anyone using a Cyrix DLC/SLC had reliably run stuff in DOS/4WG mode
386 crashes a lot (restarts) when playing certain games - Help!

Having run the same DOS/4GW games on two Cyrix processors in the past (486 DX 40 and DX2 80), I never noticed much difference with running them on a genuine Intel CPU - crashes seem to be mostly related to bugs in the games themselves.

Ignoring faulty memory modules, that is.