VOGONS

CorelDraw 3.0 Windows 3.11

Topic actions

First post, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i'm trying to install coreldraw 3.0 on my 486 but it hangs when calculating the needed disk space. I'm using a 4gb CF-Card. I have 1.66gb of 1.72gb as free space.
Too much free space? Any ideas? Need more details?

I'd appreciate your help...

Reply 1 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at that coincidence!.. 🤣

This exact same thing happened to me this past weekend. Mine is a 486 with a 540MB size limited BIOS, but have a real HDD with a 2GB partition on a 20GB drive, driven by XT-IDE-on-a-NIC. I installed bazillions of programs before Corel 3.0 into that machine and everything works fine.

When it get stuck (It was not frozen, I could go back to program manager and run other programs) I decided to let it finish it's calculation for about 5 hours, still nothing happened. I'm also guessing it's due to "insane amount of" free space.

I will ghost the image on a temporary smaller (512MB or 256MB) CF card and will try again.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 21, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well thats very good news as i can tell my wife that i'm noot the only one who:
1. tried to install coral draw 3.0
2. on windows 3.11
3. running on a 486
4. in the year 2018!

🤣

Ok as i said i'm using a 4gb CF card (with EZ-BIOS to get more than 500mb). I fdisked it now to ~1.7gb, ~1.9gb and ~150mb.
Still i get the everlasting calculating. I should clearify that its not crashing, just as you say running and running and running....

Reply 3 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day we installed it on hard disks up to 1 Gb in size and it worked fine. I still own it, and also still have the manuals (in Dutch unfortunately). I'll check this weekend if there's anything in them that can help.

Keep in mind it's one of those 16 bit programs that won't install properly on Windows 95 or later...

Reply 4 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It worked.

I ghost imaged my exisiting 2GB (only about 300MB is used) DOS partition on the 20GB disk to the secondary disk, then installed a 420MB ancient Conner in place of the 20GB, copied the image on to it, installed Corel 3.0 (without any glitch) and ghost copied the resulted partition into the 20GB again, and everything is nice and dandy.

Funny thing is, that Conner was apparently infected by an ancient virus (Junkie 1027A) and till I became aware of the situation, it infected all the HDDs on this machine and a few floppies, too. According to the database, it infects MBR of HDDs accessed *.com files and also floppy boot sectors. fortunately, F-Prot from 1997 is good enough to easily remove it. It was an unexpected little fun, considering I had nothing to do with viruses for the last 15 years or so 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 5 of 21, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok i tried it again. I used another 4GB CF-card. I still used EZ-software and partitioned to 500mb, 2gb and the rest. Installation worked on d: (2gb).
As coreldraw makes a temporary directory on c: it seems it is a problem with disk size.

Reply 6 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McBierle wrote:
Well thats very good news as i can tell my wife that i'm noot the only one who: 1. tried to install coral draw 3.0 2. on windows […]
Show full quote

Well thats very good news as i can tell my wife that i'm noot the only one who:
1. tried to install coral draw 3.0
2. on windows 3.11
3. running on a 486
4. in the year 2018!

🤣

Ok as i said i'm using a 4gb CF card (with EZ-BIOS to get more than 500mb). I fdisked it now to ~1.7gb, ~1.9gb and ~150mb.
Still i get the everlasting calculating. I should clearify that its not crashing, just as you say running and running and running....

And I also told my wife about you! She practically cracked in half, laughing...to us loosers 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 7 of 21, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just want to add, though I don't have a wife [[[sniff]]], I also was trying to install Coreldraw 3 on my WFW installation and it wouldn't work. This is on a Western Digital 2GB (1.8ish i think) WD caviar drive. So no, you guys aren't alone in the universe.

I ended up going with paint shop pro

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 8 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Paint shop pro was better than corel draw 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 21, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

It works for me, I've written a DOS game engine based off of a bunch of thrift books I picked up that uses 320x200 PCX images. I'm told that for proper pixel scale at that resolution I should be using a native 320x200 application like DPaint but I just haven't been able to figure out how to use that sucker.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 21, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uh, that's apples and oranges.... One is a vector drawing program, the other a pixel drawing program. I'd say each has their own application. But yeah, Corel Draw always was a bit weird. IIRC it had its own kind of virtual memory management, not unlike Photoshop.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 11 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

If you are dealing with only photos, and not vector graphics. So, it is more like "Photoshop is better than Corel Photo-Paint", which is only one part of Corel package 🤣

Last edited by tayyare on 2018-12-07, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 12 of 21, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

And I also told my wife about you! She practically cracked in half, laughing...to us loosers 🤣

I say it's my midlife crisis. Doing this stuff is at least cheaper than buying a porsche...

Reply 13 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
tayyare wrote:
Dominus wrote:

If you are dealing with only photos, and not vector graphics. So, it is more like "Photoshop is better than Corel Photo-Paint", which is only one part of Corel package 🤣

I was dealing with stuff back then beyond photos and all the Corel stuff was supposed to be the sh... back then. I found it horribly overrated. Paint Shop Pro was a refreshing light piece of software without all that baggage... one one CD I still have the last version that installed on Windows 3.x. Already 32bit but running with Win32s

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McBierle wrote:
tayyare wrote:

I say it's my midlife crisis. Doing this stuff is at least cheaper than buying a porsche...

Actually I would prefer to be rich enough to buy a Porsche.... and not buying it anyway, to spend my Porsche money on retro stuff, legos, books and DVDs and such 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 15 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
McBierle wrote:
tayyare wrote:

yes way cheaper. I want into collecting Ultima game boxes. Not too cheap either once you go beyond a point 😉

Reply 16 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
tayyare wrote:
Dominus wrote:

I was dealing with stuff back then beyond photos and all the Corel stuff was supposed to be the sh... back then. I found it horribly overrated.

Actually I was using Micrografx Designer (2.1) for vector graphics and also found CorelDraw as "unnecessarily bloated" to say the least. But Photoshop and CorelDraw was still not something that you can use one instead of the other. (and I was using Paintshop Pro instead of Photoshop because it was also too muıch for my humble needs and my more than humble 386SX PC 🤣)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 17 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

But Photoshop and CorelDraw was still not something that you can use one instead of the other.

Nah, you would use Corel PhotoPaint for that. Can't remember if that was included with CorelDraw 3.0 or not... You can also use CorelTrace to trace (duh...) images in formats CorelDraw doesn't support.

As for the hard disk partition size limit, I guess it is 1 Gb.

Reply 18 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tested "eating up" the disk space? I mean, create a file that leaves only 100 or 200 megs free on your HDD and try to install (then delete the file after the installation).

That way you'll find out if your problem is a partition size compatibility or only disk free size issue.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!