VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486 computer running Windows-95c with 64mb. ram and 8gb CF card.
It has internet access via I.E. 5.0

Are there any web-page friendly websites to access that will scan for viruses ?

I currently use McAfee Antivirus 5.1.3
Which works with Win95c but I can't update the Virus .dat file for the Newest virus definitions.
because the McAfee server is unavailable for this old version of Antivirus.

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure there isn't going to be anything that work with Windows 9x or older. XP is probably the oldest that you would be able to use a newer scanner on.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried to share the drive on the network then connect to that share using a more current machine and scan it that way. Probably quicker and safer than sending every file on the system out over the internet.

Reply 3 of 7, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

why not use a usb - > cf card reader on a modern pc which will show up like a normal usb drive and scan it that way, it's even better because win95 is not reserving system files its running off the cf card

Reply 4 of 7, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure using a modern AV is advisable for scanning an old OS. Tried it once, scanning an ME machine from a Vista machine with AVG and it thought a load of the old system files were virus files and stuck 'em in quarantine.

ClamWin isn't compatible with 95, is it?

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BitDefender used to make a linux-based boot CD with their AV built in. You could either manually download the latest definitions or fetch them from the machine's internet connection. Other AV vendors probably have similar tools. Even MS Security Essentials has an "offline" boot CD. It requires Windows to run, and I'm not sure it would recognize Win95 as a valid version of Windows. 🤣

edit: if you just wanted a "one and done" scan, put the hdd in a modern computer and use its AV to scan it.

also, you probably don't need to worry too much about modern definitions for a 486 Win95 system. Modern malware probably wouldn't know what to do with that system.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote:

Have you tried to share the drive on the network then connect to that share using a more current machine and scan it that way. Probably quicker and safer than sending every file on the system out over the internet.

D'oh !
That's right I am using a CF card for a reason ? Not only to add files easily from my Win-10 computer but I can also scan the CF card for viruses.
I just need to plug-in my USB CF card reader into my Win-10 computer and then plug in my CF card from my 486 PC.

Thanks man.

Reply 7 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

BitDefender used to make a linux-based boot CD with their AV built in. You could either manually download the latest definitions or fetch them from the machine's internet connection. Other AV vendors probably have similar tools. Even MS Security Essentials has an "offline" boot CD. It requires Windows to run, and I'm not sure it would recognize Win95 as a valid version of Windows. 🤣

edit: if you just wanted a "one and done" scan, put the hdd in a modern computer and use its AV to scan it.

also, you probably don't need to worry too much about modern definitions for a 486 Win95 system. Modern malware probably wouldn't know what to do with that system.

They still do. But the latest issue (December 2018) can't be booted from USB (using both Rufus and stickifier).

Also, keep in mind that those boot CDs are meant for modern computers and maybe require more memory than installed in a typical Windows 95 machine.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!