VOGONS

Has this happened to me everytime I try to play a DOS game while using Windows 3.1?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know DOS games seems to run fine when running from Windows 3.1 on Standard mode. But when I try to exit out of the game completely I run into this.

Is there a workaround on how I could fix this up? And what could be the problem? And how should this be fixed?

I would like to hear an option to my solution.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I believe the task of WINOLDAP is to handle backwards compatibility with old applications, mainly DOS-based ones.
It contains code to run these (DOS) applications and transfers program code between memory and hard disk (swap file),
whenever Windows switches between (DOS) applications and the Windows desktop.
The accompanying GRB file (grabber ?) of the same name is for handling graphics in fullscreen, I believe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Hi, I believe the task of WINOLDAP is to handle backwards compatibility with old applications, mainly DOS-based ones. It contain […]
Show full quote

Hi, I believe the task of WINOLDAP is to handle backwards compatibility with old applications, mainly DOS-based ones.
It contains code to run these (DOS) applications and transfers program code between memory and hard disk (swap file),
whenever Windows switches between (DOS) applications and the Windows desktop.
The accompanying GRB file (grabber ?) of the same name is for handling graphics in fullscreen, I believe.

Yeah I need some help on how to fix this.

Reply 3 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use plain Dos. No pain that way. What are you running Standard mode Win3.1 on btw? You could give GeoWorks shot just for the hell of it. It'll run Dos programs then exit back just fine if the intention is to just run them from a GUI.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please troll elsewhere, you are using PCem and you are trying to obfuscate that fact.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper