VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im trying to make a DVD that will have all the files needed to play Gabriel Knight 2 from its 6 CD's I know there is a program that will do this but when I used it it only makes the Windows install and not the Dos install so I would like to make the DVD work as if all the CD's are on it but each CD uses a single "Resource.AUD" file and "Resource.SFX" file and not a numbering system for each CD. If I use a command prompt and use:

copy /b C:\Resource1.AUD + C:\Resource2.AUD + C:\Resource3.AUD + C:\Resource.AUD will this copy each AUD file into one? I am renaming each Resource file from the CD it came from hence the numbering which isnt actually there.

Reply 1 of 5, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an interesting approach, however, unless you have a tool that understands the format utilized by the game, it is likely impossible. Let me see if I understand correctly- each resource file is numbered according to the CD it is in? Like Resource1.AUD on CD 1, Resource2.AUD on CD 2 and so on? If that's so, why not just copy all these files to the same folders on the DVD?

If the names are the same across the different CDs, using the copy /b A + B should not work as the game won't know how to handle this larger file.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 2 of 5, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The names are the same for each CD I just named them with numbers so I would know which was what, when the cd to dvd progie made all the files there was one file for Resource.AUD with a large file size that tells me all the individual files are joined somehow and now that I have reread here: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GK2Help.html it says "His installer also has the advantage of allowing you to installing to and running the game entirely from the hard drive. There is also an option to let you create a single DVD to replace the 6 CDs. No more swapping out CD during game play. It is possible to install the DOS version into this Windows only install to have these advantages, but still use the DOS interpreter for DOSBox".... so I will have to try his installer but I have a hunch its the same one I used otherwise if I can combine the AUD files I would be set.

Reply 3 of 5, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. It is a patch, so it surely changes stuff around; maybe it patches the game executable, maybe it changes some config file(s), or those combined. The method of simply combining the files wouldn't work unless there's a tool to do that properly or that the game is patched to know how to handle this new larger file, or both.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some more info on how to make a DVD install:

Gabriel Knight 2 dvd???

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those instructions are just the same as what is already said in the cd to dvd program in the exact words none the less and I am still scratching my head thinking how to make a Dos version I mean there must be a way....