VOGONS

Reply 20 of 50, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
Just want to report that I have same problem here with Ryzen and Windows 98 VM. I don't have vmware workstation license, so I search and installed VMware-player-6.0.7-2844087. This version works for me.

Reply 21 of 50, by VMwired

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own a AMD Ryzen 3900X and had the same problem as Marvias.
file.php?id=65973&mode=view

Thanks @1541 I was now able to successfully install Windows 98.

Had tested VMware Worksation 12 and 15 without success but with version 10 it finally worked.

Reply 22 of 50, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With VmWare 10, I have the issue that drag'n'drop from Win10 to the Win98 desktop will lock up the VM...

In the meantime, I've switched from VmWare to PCem which works flawlessly, however it consumes more CPU power

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 24 of 50, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can drag file from host (win7/10) to guest (win98) with vmware player 6.0.7. Dragging files out from guest to host will make the guest vm hang/freeze, but it's fine since I normally won't do that (getting files out).

Reply 25 of 50, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Damaniel wrote on 2020-02-19, 04:40:

one of the most recent Windows 10 Creator updates prevented pre 15.x VMWare releases from working. I actually use Windows 98 VMs a lot, so it actually sucks that I can't make it work.

12.5.9 actually still works even in 1909 W10. You just have to modify AppCompatFlags registry, so that windows would let it start. This is what I use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags]
"{3d9912c3-cb54-4f34-ab71-1d429553bf96}"=dword:00000077
"{66f21bbc-149a-411b-8e11-880af7c1266c}"=dword:00000077

BTW with W10 2004 will come next challenge for those using WSL2, since it requires Hyper-V role activated and old VMWare even including current version 15.5 dont run with Hyper-V activated.

Reply 26 of 50, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so here's a complete update of how to Install Windows 98 SE with a Ryzen CPU in VMware 12:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl … indows-98-SE-mi

TL;DR:

1. use VMware 12.5.9 for Win10 hosts (version 15.x won't let you specify the "Virtualization engine" any more)

2. set "Virtualization engine" manually to "Intel VT-x or AMD-V"

3. run Windows 98 installation until it crashes

4. reboot into safe mode

5. disable 32-bit mode for drives and reboot

6. let windows 98 finish its installation process to the end

7. reboot to MS-DOS and replace file "ESDI_506.PDR" (i.e. 48-bit LBA fix) in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS

8. enable 32-bit mode for drives again

9. success

Reply 27 of 50, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering Ryzen 4 later this year and was researching the VME issue with 9x in a VM. For some reason I completely missed that it affected NT up to XP and 2003 but it makes sense.

Is this still broken as of 9-19-2020?

Anyone have the time to test 9x and XP in the latest Vmware Player VM?
Interested in knowing:
Install OS from CD to desktop works without issue.
If programs in NTVDM work (as well as they normally do anyway)
If changing the bit in the cpuid "fixes" the issue and if that breaks programs as well.
Not interested in any workarounds or downgrades unless the cpuid "fix" works but we can document them for those that are.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 50, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering this:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/8/21506447/a … ce-release-date

Anyone know if VME is still an issue with Zen 2 with latest bios updates, if so will likely be the same with Zen 3.
If still an issue then masking the bit, disabling 9x 32bit disk drivers, using an old version of vmware (12) are still the "fixes"?
https://communities.vmware.com/message/2947137#2947137

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 50, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Masking VME didnt have any effect for me and I think its not the real problem. Reason why Windows 98 VM needs binary translation is not VME, but some bug in memory management I found on this link https://blog.stuffedcow.net/2015/08/win9x-tlb … validation-bug/ And even with binary translation, it crashes lot more than on old CPUs. Nested virtualization works (Win98 VM on XP VM on W10), but its slow.

Reply 30 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
marvias wrote on 2020-10-11, 23:33:

Masking VME didnt have any effect for me and I think its not the real problem. Reason why Windows 98 VM needs binary translation is not VME, but some bug in memory management I found on this link https://blog.stuffedcow.net/2015/08/win9x-tlb … validation-bug/ And even with binary translation, it crashes lot more than on old CPUs. Nested virtualization works (Win98 VM on XP VM on W10), but its slow.

What about Vanderpool or Pacifica?
Does enabling them affect Win98 in a negative way?
In Virtual PC 2007, long ago, Vanderpool helped me in getting Win32s on Windows 3.1 running.
It also was useful for OS/2 Warp 4, I recall.
However, Windows 98SE got totally unstable with it. XP didn't care either way.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, Windows Me is seriously wotth a try. It was better prepared for the new technology of the upcoming 21st century.
The Pentium IV had one of the fastest LOOP instructions that caused timing issues with earlier Windows releases. Including good old 3.1 in 386 Enchanted Mode (Standard Mode was safe, as usual; WfW 3.11 - do you hear me? ). 😉

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/those-win9x-crash … -fast-machines/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 50, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Masking VME didnt have any effect for me and I think its not the real problem.

Same here, I tried the VME masking in VMware and VirtualBox - neither had any effect

DosFreak wrote on 2020-10-09, 01:38:

Anyone know if VME is still an issue with Zen 2 with latest bios updates, if so will likely be the same with Zen 3.

Unfortunately, I only have a Zen 1 CPU on an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS for testing. However, AGESA 1.0.0.6 did not help while using a "Summit Ridge" CPU.
Anybody has any other experiences using ZEN 2 Ryzens?

Reply 33 of 50, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-09-19, 15:52:
Considering Ryzen 4 later this year and was researching the VME issue with 9x in a VM. For some reason I completely missed that […]
Show full quote

Considering Ryzen 4 later this year and was researching the VME issue with 9x in a VM. For some reason I completely missed that it affected NT up to XP and 2003 but it makes sense.

Interested in knowing:
If changing the bit in the cpuid "fixes" the issue and if that breaks programs as well.
Not interested in any workarounds or downgrades unless the cpuid "fix" works but we can document them for those that are.

Did anyone have any luck testing a Ryzen 5000 with a VM so far?

Reply 35 of 50, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Meanwhile, I've had mixed results with a Ryzen 5 3600.
Using VMware 12.5.9 and setting "Intel VT-x or AMD-V" manually did actually work.
However, using a more recent version of VMware 16.x didn't work at all.

Reply 36 of 50, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
1541 wrote on 2021-07-27, 05:33:

Meanwhile, I've had mixed results with a Ryzen 5 3600.
Using VMware 12.5.9 and setting "Intel VT-x or AMD-V" manually did actually work.
However, using a more recent version of VMware 16.x didn't work at all.

I've tried with v15 last for win7.

Obsolete Projects: https://trackerninja.codeberg.page

Reply 37 of 50, by Grendel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-09-19, 15:52:
Considering Ryzen 4 later this year and was researching the VME issue with 9x in a VM. For some reason I completely missed that […]
Show full quote

Interested in knowing:

I haven't tried anything 9x but I have a XP SP3 VM running in vmware player 16 and qemu/kvm with my Ryzen 3700x + x470 machine. They're old installs though, not created on this machine (decided to recycle old installs since you can't download the updates from MS anymore) and I haven't done much with them. I mainly was trying to test a few old Windows games with the vmware player's 3d acceleration.

I doubt the fact I use linux as a host helps but when reading through this thread it did seems like few people were using it as a host. I'm running mint 20.

Reply 38 of 50, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same issue persists on virtualbox in linux mint 20.2

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 39 of 50, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what I've read on that blog pretty much sums that the win9x kernel has some flaws when it comes to newer CPU's that handle TLB? "Aka why this bug occurs on newer architecture processors? "