VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I am using my original CD in my system,, and although the games works under pure DOS, the speech plays and cuts off immediately).

If I play it under Windows 98SE, the speech issue is resolved, but I really love to play this game under DOS, with my MUNT feeding the MT-32 music off of my laptop to my real AWE64.

My System specs:
PIII-800E (using SetMUL have disabled L1 cache)
Abit BH-6
512MB SD-RAM PC100
AWE64 Gold

Windows 98SE (but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play the launch the game from a DOS prompt)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 16, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many times 512mb of memory is not handled well in dos. Try using DEVICE=c:\xxx\himemx.exe /max=8194 instead of himem.sys.
You can find it in freedos or here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/

Reply 2 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just removed a stick of 256MB, so I am down to 256MB RAM total, the speech issue still remains.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 16, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

I just removed a stick of 256MB, so I am down to 256MB RAM total, the speech issue still remains.

Still too high for dos! Use the himemx and force 8mb of ram, see if it works.

Reply 4 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just downloded himemx, how do I use it in DOS, just copy over the files, and run the .EXE?

Reply 5 of 16, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

I just downloded himemx, how do I use it in DOS, just copy over the files, and run the .EXE?

Copy himemx.exe to the root of your c:
Edit config.sys
Find the line DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS OR C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Put the word REM before DEVICE=
So you should have REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Directly below that line write DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194
So the lines should be
REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194

Reply 6 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are a genius! It works!

Now, what I did was that I created a boot floppy diskette, copied my c: drive's config.sys and auto.exe bat to it, and THEN modified the config.sys!

I am going to try other DOS games that I was unable to play, hopefully I can get them all to play!

Thanks a million again!

Reply 7 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem is that some DOS games start to behave odd when there's more than 16 MB of memory. Syndicate and Hi-Octane are two other examples. And HIMEM.SYS does not allow to restrict the amount of memory if you have more.

Reply 8 of 16, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

aww yes... btw if you want to further optimize your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS feel free to share it

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 16, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:
You are a genius! It works! […]
Show full quote

You are a genius! It works!

Now, what I did was that I created a boot floppy diskette, copied my c: drive's config.sys and auto.exe bat to it, and THEN modified the config.sys!

I am going to try other DOS games that I was unable to play, hopefully I can get them all to play!

Thanks a million again!

Glad it worked for you. You are very welcome. HOF is my favorite of the three.

Reply 10 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:
Since my last year's original post, I have started using MUNT and SoftMPU, emulating MT-32 sounds for this game.

I am using a boot floppy diskette that has my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat copied from my C: drive to it

And have added this line to my Autoexec.bat file:

LH SOFTMPU.EXE /MPU:330 /SB:220 /IRQ:5

The issue is that, upon booting from this floppy, when autoexec.bat reaches the above line, I get this error message: (see the attached image)

As a result, I don't see MUNT's little pop-up (on the lower bottom-right corner of the task-bar), confirming that it has successfully detected SoftMPU . Funny thing is that when I run the game, it detects the SoftMPU, and I see the name of the MT-32 instruments on the SoftMPU display menu, and the game loads all the sound files, and I can confirm that is correctly emulating MT-32.

I am just curious as to why I get that error message?

Attachments

• EMM386 Error.jpeg
    Filename
    EMM386 Error.jpeg
    File size
    99.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 16, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You will have to load a ems memory manager in config.sys.
Edit config.sys and add this line after the DEVICE=C:\%dosdir%\HIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:\%dosdir%\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN

Softmpu will load after that.

Reply 12 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once again, thank you SO much for helping me out!

DEVICE=C:\%dosdir%\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN

The 'highscan' switch did the trick!

Thanks!

Reply 13 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE (02/12/2021):

I just replaced my existing RAM with a 64MB stick of RAM, and now I have the exact same issue:

The speech is very rapid, and cuts-off.

Nothing else has changed, I used the exact same floppy (with the same config.sys and HimemX.exe settings pre your recommendation)

Any help would be appreciated.

I even tried SetMUL L2D, L1D, but the game does not start a new game at all.

Reply 15 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed I am using himemx, strange that It was working perfectly with 8194 value.

Update 1:
As I suspected lowering the value to 4096 did not solve the issue. Could it be the RAM stick?

Update 2:
Replaced the older 128GB stick of RAM and still speech issue.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-12, 22:59. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 16 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE 2:
OK, the speech issue seems to be solved, all I did, was instead of choosing option 1, I chose menu option 2 in my DOS menu (Extended Memory + Mouse + CD-ROM)

6532844_orig.png

I am using Phil's Computer's Lab DOS 7.1 Menu

In Kyrandia setup, I have chosen MT-32 as the music option, and the Soundblaster as digital and speech option. The issue seem to be fixed (no cut-off speech).