VOGONS

First post, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here's the situation:

I have a Commodore 386sx bridgeboard upgraded to a 486slc ( or something like that ) with a Math.co 387sx fpu and 4mb ram.

All seems to work fine apart from Dune2 where the graphics go bad ( see pictures ). I use the uncracked cdrom version, 1.07 ( with or without 1.07fix ) and it happens both when I play from HD or straight from cdrom. I tested 3 vga board, removed the fpu, turned on/off the cpu cache and/or clockdoubling, turned of vga and bios shadowing ... to no avail. Also the setup program tends to go bad at moments with funny characters in the text. Ingame it seems to be the scrolling that evokes it.

I am really lost here, I also considered that maybe the cpu gets too hot despite having a big heatsink on it but considering the fact Dune 1 with it's fancy intro and animations runs just fine I doubt it. I also have 612kb of base ram free while it says it needs 602kb and I get the message "taking advantage of extra ram" when I start it.

Attachments

• 2019-10-07 12.13.35.jpg
    Filename
    2019-10-07 12.13.35.jpg
    File size
    131.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2019-10-07 12.12.25.jpg
    Filename
    2019-10-07 12.12.25.jpg
    File size
    106.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my guess would be bad memory sticks in your retro system

also, you can try to run dune 2 on a more modern computer by using winuae.. the amiga version is superior anyway in my opinion 😀

I would also recommend to use something like memtest86 to test the memory of your retro pc system

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CBM wrote:

also, you can try to run dune 2 on a more modern computer by using winuae.. the amiga version is superior anyway in my opinion 😀

I would also recommend to use something like memtest86 to test the memory of your retro pc system

The PC graphics are much better and the Amiga version lacks a lot of music I think.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 10, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
CBM wrote:

The PC graphics are much better and the Amiga version lacks a lot of music I think.

Well.. It might be a matter of preference I guess.. I love the Amiga version, it was the first RTS game I ever played on any system 😀

Main PC SPECS:

Reply 4 of 10, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 3 different bigbox releases for AMiga on my bookshelf ... but telling me to use a modern system is kind of missing the point of me wanting to do some retro computing no ?

I guess I can test the memory although why would it only happen in one game.

Reply 5 of 10, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CBM wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
CBM wrote:

Well.. It might be a matter of preference I guess.. I love the Amiga version, it was the first RTS game I ever played on any system 😀

The 16bit digitized speech, the possibility to mix soundblaster sound with MT32 sounds ... Although I am a BIG amigafan those possibilities surpass it.

Reply 6 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, you all miss the point:

I have a Commodore 386sx bridgeboard upgraded to a 486slc ( or something like that ) with a Math.co 387sx fpu and 4mb ram.

Like the Janus docs tell you, using the mouse driver for the bridge board can destroy the on-screen graphics. This is a bug in the Janus software and there is no way to fix it, other than connecting a mouse using an i/o card.

Reply 7 of 10, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Guys, you all miss the point:

Like the Janus docs tell you, using the mouse driver for the bridge board can destroy the on-screen graphics. This is a bug in the Janus software and there is no way to fix it, other than connecting a mouse using an i/o card.

I really think something else is going on here. For instance I can't start Day OF The Tentacle anymore while that worked just fine before. I wonder if memmaker changed something in config or autoexec that causes it.

Reply 8 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think your problem with Dune II has anything to do with DotT. Graphics corruption is a side-effect of AMOUSE, and that is told by Commodore itself. You can try to disable CPU caches on the Amiga side, that may solve it, but it's not a suitable solution if it does.

As for memmaker: never use that piece of sh*t. It's the worst "memory optimizer" I've ever seen.

Reply 9 of 10, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well you are right. Did a clean dosinstall with just amouse installed and as soon as I enabke it, the problem begins. Damn. I guess I have to swap the ide cache controller for a standard multi i/o controller.

Reply 10 of 10, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SimonV wrote:

The 16bit digitized speech, the possibility to mix soundblaster sound with MT32 sounds ... Although I am a BIG amigafan those possibilities surpass it.

ah yes okay 😀

Main PC SPECS: