VOGONS

First post, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone else remember B&W Mac software you had to boot like a PC?

Back in the day (90’s) the JR High had a full lab of networked dual floppy Mac Pluses
They all were connected to a single Mac SE with ImageWriter

I took typing class there and although I never thought much about it
I strongly remember having to eject the system disk, putting in the learning software disk and rebooting to startup the Mouse training Software
Which I found to be quite impressive with a fully animated talking diver demonstrating the OS mouse features, how to drag stuff, highlight, etc with undersea creatures.

This always stuck with me even though a computer with only floppy drives was commonplace even then.
And booters were common as well.
Maybe it was the crisp well animated B&W graphics

Anyone remember booter software on the Mac?
Anyone know what the mouse training program I am speaking of was called?

I have a feeling it may have been very old, possibly made for the old fat Macs.

The other Mac program that was somewhat similar was Truebasic on the Mac.

I otherwise ran Mavis Beacon and had to take tests , save homework and sometimes print things off in the lab.
The file server was so slow the teacher would have us load the file of the day 1 at a time waiting for the previous person to finish

Ah the memories

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. By "B&W Mac" I though of the Blue/White Power Mac G3 first, before realizing it's just about a monochrome Macintosh. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi rmay635703 I'm not trying to be rude but you probably will get a better response at one of the dedicated Apple forums. The Apple forum over at vcfed.org is very active as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉