VOGONS

First post, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

In my W98 PC build, I have a CDRW drive. What was the best W98 compatible burner software for CDRW burners?

Reply 3 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the future, know that the Windows forum is about running old Windows games on modern Windows. Ask questions involving old builds in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Marvin -> Software.

Marvin -> Software can work for generic Windows questions I suppose, the description says "getting old software/games running on older hardware."

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I had Windows 9x, I used Adaptec EasyCD or Nero (4.x or 5.x). Both were bundled with my CDRW drives, and worked fine.

Do NOT use later versions of Nero Burning Rom. They are mainly bloatware.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

When I had Windows 9x, I used Adaptec EasyCD or Nero (4.x or 5.x). Both were bundled with my CDRW drives, and worked fine.

Do NOT use later versions of Nero Burning Rom. They are mainly bloatware.

Same here, but Nero 6 is still fine as I recall. Bloat really started with Nero 7. Although I have been using Nero 8 on more modern PCs and it still runs fine. Beyond that I have no idea.

Badscrew wrote:

What was the best W98 compatible burner software for CDRW burners?

The question is also - what do you plan to burn. If it includes copies of copy protected game CDs, you may need additional software to make 1:1 images, such as Alcohol 120 or certain versions of Daemon Tools.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your after period correct, Easy CD and Nero were the big 2 in the day, in the end I also preferred Nero 5x.
Don't do much burning anymore and when I do it's usually with imgburn on my XP rig, didn't even know it worked in 98!