VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the reboot games didn't make it any easier to find info on this one...

running this game in win95b on a p133/64mb ram/sb16 ct2290 system, i've experienced fairly frequent crashes to desktop that randomly seem to happen while playing certain sound effects. the CD music will keep playing after the crash. windows originally used to throw an error message listing some "invalid memory access" or similar alongside the IRQ of my sound card, but now it just crashes without any message. did anyone else experience this? don't recall ever having sound related crashes in duke3d.

i should probably try and see if running from DOS fixes it but i've had some configuration issue with sound stuttering in menu and CD music only playing on left channel.

edit: now that i think about it i am using a matrox millennium as graphics card which is known to crash build games in 800x600, i'm using lower resolutions which should be fine in theory though, and it seems weird that it would throw up the sound card IRQ if the VGA was the issue.

Last edited by auron on 2019-10-17, 11:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't run DOS games in 9x so can't help there but is it related to the "echo" crashes?
http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK this is only an issue on PCI sound cards and i'm using a ct2290 sb16. the crashes also occur outside of places that have the reverb effect, typically with exploding rockets or flashbangs, so possibly it might be related to serveral sounds playing at once.