VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I've installed Johnson's USBUHCI + USBMOUSE + USBKEYB.
It runs. But at extreme cost of conventional memory. I tried different settings but found no way to get more then 570kb. Any idea how to get it over 600?
Looks like I can't load that many drivers in to the high memory.

Sry... Put this in the wrong section. Think it belongs to Software

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 13, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy crap .. I got it. 😎 605kb and everything seem to work. Just deleted every high load command. Using jemmex instead of himem and emm386. Ctmouse, shsucdx, Toshiba driver.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 8 of 13, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 - it is definitely too late for me to be focused. My kids getting both teeth and nights are painful. so yes of course. I found this site.

Reply 9 of 13, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any reason why you would resort to DOS USB drivers instead of the BIOS managed USB controllers and the legacy emulation USB software stack from the BIOS? The system in your signature should be recent enough to have good USB legacy emulation from BIOS. It does not seem likely that you could run out of USB ports and require PCI USB addon to support USB peripherals that matter for DOS, such as keyboard and mouse.

Reply 10 of 13, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 6via5t has 2 usb1 ports. They do well. Bios provides USB keyboard support. That's it. My Keyboard is an ibm ps/2 device. My mouse is connected to one of these usb1 ports. There is no bios option to get USB mouse working in DOS.

Reply 11 of 13, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

There is no bios option to get USB mouse working in DOS.

Are you sure? Usually, the USB legacy emulation for keyboard/mouse works as a whole, if the USB keyboard works, so does the mouse. You still need to load a standard DOS MOUSE driver (Microsoft/Logitech/CTMOUSE etc.), the BIOS emulates the USB mouse as PS/2 mouse.

Reply 12 of 13, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote:
Lazar81 wrote:

Are you sure? Usually, the USB legacy emulation for keyboard/mouse works as a whole, if the USB keyboard works, so does the mouse. You still need to load a standard DOS MOUSE driver (Microsoft/Logitech/CTMOUSE etc.), the BIOS emulates the USB mouse as PS/2 mouse.

Some old motherboards have only USB Keyboard support in their BIOS, with no support for USB Mouse at all.

Newer motherboards have universal legacy USB support that allows both USB Keyboard and Mouse to work, but I once had some mice that don't really conform to the standards and would not work correctly in legacy systems, such as the mouse moving in wrong X/Y axis or not working at all. These mice in question don't present themselves as USB Mouse but generic USB HID devices instead.

With recent motherboards, it appears that UEFI BIOSes have their own drivers to handle various peripherals including keyboard, mouse, network cards, etc., so keyboards and mice are very likely to work there.

Reply 13 of 13, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:
Lazar81 wrote:

Let me answer with a question: why should one load a bunch of drivers that eat up so much memory before checking whether this is necessary or not due to bios support? So - you bet I'm sure. 😀