VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey everyone,

I'd appreciate input on this problem. So far I have only found ONE way to solve it.

I want to stream video (for my "retro YouTube translator") to Windows 3.1 or 9x using VLC.

So far I have the following setup, which works:

Server:

• MPEG-1 video, audio, and muxer
  • HTTP streaming

Client:

• VLC 0.8.6i (or 2.2.5 on XP) with the Mozilla plugin installed, or running standalone in...
  • RetroZilla (or other Firefox) on Windows 95/98 or NT/2000/XP

This works. Unsurprisingly.

However, it would be nice if I could stream to Windows Media Player or Netshow, so that I can pick up streams on less capable machines, and run them in Netscape Navigator, or Internet Explorer 3.0, instead of RetroZilla. This would open up a whole new set of machines to my YouTube translator.

What I want to be able to do is send an ASF stream or something to WMP or Netshow.

I cannot get this to work. I have spent hours and hours and hours trying every possible combination of VLC settings (yes, I'm running from the command line) to try to get WMP or Netshow to pick up the stream.

In Windows 3.1, I only get cryptic errors, which tell me nothing (just the error code, no message). I am using WMP 5.2 (last Win31 version) or Netshow 2.0 there.

In Win9x, I get the following error with WMP 6.4: "Invalid name: <my streaming URL>. The file name specified is incorrect. (Error=C00D002B)." Which is obviously false; the "filename" (URL) is completely correct.

No, I'm not going to give up, use WMP 7/9, or something else. It needs to work in Win31 and 95 as well as 98, NT, etc.

There has to be a way to make this work. Has anyone *successfully* done something like this before?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not quite, but since there's no other replies,
Is serving from ffmpeg an option? I don't know if it can stream to the clients that you want, but I've used it to stream MPEG-1 to a VLC client so maybe it's able.

Reply 2 of 3, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

Not quite, but since there's no other replies,
Is serving from ffmpeg an option? I don't know if it can stream to the clients that you want, but I've used it to stream MPEG-1 to a VLC client so maybe it's able.

It could be. That's an idea I'd like to pursue.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.