VOGONS

ScummVM 2.1.0 for Win95/98 Anyone tried it yet?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.1.0/scu … win32-win9x.exe

When installed, it creates a folder called ScummVM on the desktop, containing the save and some configuration.ini files: very annoying.

Also, for MIDI emulation, it does not have the FuidSynth option on the MIDI drop-down menu. Phil clearly demonstrates this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-356nSg6brA&t=4s

Under Win98 it is simply not there, whereas on Win7/10, the same ScummVM build (2.1.0) has this option.

See my original post with the issues that I encountered here:
https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?f=2& … &p=87917#p87917

When I choose the sound as default, it doesn't produce any MT-32 emulation, and it defaults to OPL sound, and when I choose my AWE64GOLD as the sound card, it simply utilizes the AWE64 GOLD's Synth features (for MIDI and MT-32), and does not utilize MT-32 ROMs that I have placed in the ScummVM folder (since even when I remove the ROM files, it still has MIDI / MT-32 quality music, which I can clearly tell is created by its own MIDI synth instead)

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So about 12 months agp XP support was broken due to a newer version FluidSynth-lite
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10809
https://gitmemory.com/issue/Doom64/fluidsynth … ite/5/480527347
https://github.com/Doom64/fluidsynth-lite/issues/5

This was fixed by using an older version of Fluidsynth.

Was Fluidsynth ever an option in ScummVM for 9x? If so it was likely removed for the 9x build instead of using an older version.

There's a 9x build of Munt here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/munt/SNAPSHOTS/

I wonder if the SDL2 build of ScummVM works with Fluidsynth on Windows 98 with Kernelex.

I'm thinking only the SDL2 builds have fluidsynth which means XP+. For below would have to use the unofficial SDL 2.0.5 for 2000, or blackwingcat externded kernel or kernelex for 98/ME.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I have been using the older versions such as scummvm-1.8.1-win32 (and lower), in the past, and all of them have the FluidSynth option (however, they all, just like the 2.1.0 version) only rely on the actual AWE64 Gold built-in synth: meaning no MT-32, or MIDI emulation for me at least

Unless, someone is willing to tell me how ScummVM setup is done right!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I checked the 1.8.1 build using SDL 1.2 and Fluidsynth is in there.

When I use the last working nightly build that works on 9x which is V1.9.1pre39 (This was before 9x support was broken and then fixed). I don't see the option.

Their buildbot switched to SDL2 builds awhile back so likely one of their team manually compiled the 9x build and left fluidsynth out for compatibility reasons.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my P200mm Win95b I only can use a very old version of scummvm, because later versions freeze or massively slowdown the mousedriver or the animations in games.
I think it's due to the much more required cpu-power and ram-requirements.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 6 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

OK, I managed to run it on my Win98, and the MIDI port that I have opened on it, is called:

MidiIn0: AWE64G MIDI In [330]

Now, when I run ScummVM v 2.1.0, I am not sure which drop-down option should I choose for AUDIO tab, and MT-32 tab

Edit:
I just realized that I need a MIDI port, either real (My USB Roland MIDI Interface, which I doubt there exists a Win9X driver for), or a virtual one (akin LoopMIDI).
Well, I find a nifty one called MIDI Yolk, and after installation, the MUNT can detect the port, but I am still not sure what options to choose in ScummVM (sound and MT-32 tabs)

Thanks for your help!

Reply 7 of 14, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Runs ... I had no problems setting up my mt-32.
But man... I really hate that folder on the desktop. Is there a chance to save these files in another directory? I already checked every program file with a hex-editor. But found nothing that tells where/when/how this folder is created.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 8 of 14, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't you just hide those folders?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote:

Runs ... I had no problems setting up my mt-32.
But man... I really hate that folder on the desktop. Is there a chance to save these files in another directory? I already checked every program file with a hex-editor. But found nothing that tells where/when/how this folder is created.

May I ask how did you get the MT-32 to work with ScummVM on Win98? Rather, which sound card do you have? With my AWE64 GOLD, it completely overrides anything that I choose, and it uses its own synthesis (Creative's)

Reply 10 of 14, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

May I ask how did you get the MT-32 to work with ScummVM on Win98? Rather, which sound card do you have? With my AWE64 GOLD, it completely overrides anything that I choose, and it uses its own synthesis (Creative's)

Sure. I have a Soundblaster 16 (CT1740). I could chose its midi output in the global settings of scummvm. Under Midi I can chose SB16-MIDI-OUT [330] [WINDOWS MIDI]. In addition I've chosen the same one under MT-32 and checked the first option (deactivated GM Emulation)

Srandista wrote:

Can't you just hide those folders?

Tried... And it is hidden when i check don't show hidden files in the explorer options. But I can't do that for a single folder. And normally I want to see all files ... So I can decide whether to see all files including this damn scummvm folder on the desktop... Or I chose not show all hidden files...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 11 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure. I have a Soundblaster 16 (CT1740). I could chose its midi output in the global settings of scummvm. Under Midi I can chose SB16-MIDI-OUT [330] [WINDOWS MIDI]. In addition I've chosen the same one under MT-32 and checked the first option (deactivated GM Emulation)

OK, now I can hear the MT-32 music coming out (MUNT on my laptop connected to my real retro PC confirms this) but I don't have any Sound Effects.

Reply 13 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, I will. Originally I thought I has no Sound Effects, but it turns out that they are very low. When I lower the Music, and up the Sound Effects/Speech in ScummVM, it makes it a tad better, but the background hiss is really evident and annoying.

Reply 14 of 14, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello.

I ran ScummVM 2.1 with Monkey Island 2 (Ultimate Talkie Edition) and I don't have any problems on my P166Mhz under Win98SE (Monkey Island 2 ultimate runs also flawlessly under DOS).
I can use Roland MT-32 or Roland SC-88 with speech on SoundBlaster (I have a CT4500 AWE64 Pnp).
I try Loom CD (vga) GOG version with CDDA.SOU as audio file. The game runs with sound except that fade in and fade out sequences are very slow and break audio sync.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader